Outlook or No?

Bballbenb

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Whats everyones thoughts on using outlook? Do you have a option to use just your hotmail email and calendar or do you have to use outlook? Is outlook soley just in case you have multiple emails and calendars you want?

ethylove

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm confused. The phone syncs through your windows live account. I have my outlook also synced to that so anything that I do on outlook immediately shows up on my phone and vice versa.

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
If you use an exchange email account it uses the Outlook icon, I am not sure other than some specific functions that might come from an exchange email account such as searching your exchange mailbox whether any real difference exists.

Of course I am talking about accounts on the phone not the desktop Outlook.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
i use outlook EVERY day at work .......
and i also use LIVE for my personal use.

both work very well, outlook does have a more professional feel to it ( feels more organized and clean ) going compare to LIVE or hotmail.

to add does accounts to your cell : E-mail HUB --> click on triple dots --> add e-mail account.

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
i use outlook EVERY day at work .......
and i also use LIVE for my personal use.

both work very well, outlook does have a more professional feel to it ( feels more organized and clean ) going compare to LIVE or hotmail.

to add does accounts to your cell : E-mail HUB --> click on triple dots --> add e-mail account.

Personal Outlook on computer is kinda horrible. A bit slow I think (bulky software, can't share/sync calendar with others, as far as I've tried). It's kinda bad if you are using Gmail not based on POP3. The initial downloading is driving me nuts. For pop3 services, Outlook is quite good but I still think browser is more efficient.

For WP7, it's quite snappy and efficient.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I'm confused. The phone syncs through your windows live account. I have my outlook also synced to that so anything that I do on outlook immediately shows up on my phone and vice versa.

I used outlook for a long time. When I got focus I knew that outlook would not natively sync with the focus. There is a way you can add you live calanedar into outlook and use the outlook calendar in windows live but it still does not sync to the device. What I am doing is using the windows live calendar on my desktop which has to do not tasks which do sync wirelessly to the phone and with mango do sho up on the device. It works pretty darn good but it could ber improved and I am sure will be. I still miss direct sync with outlook though and I am thinking of trying office 360 which will give me that capability for about 6.00 a month under their current pricing. May check ouy the free trial. Thats cheaper than some outfits were wanting go office online which was 10.00 a month for eas synching.

stiffler72

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I use Windows Live email and it sync's well to Outlook 2007 using Outlook connector. I had a BB Pearl and it also sync'd to Outlook using Desktop Manager. While there was no mapping for Desktop Manager to use with Outlook (due to no .pst file with Windows Live email), the two programs still communicated for the sync. BUT I have a BB 9380 now and it will not sync the calendar. The contacts sync wirelessly with Windows Live account. Suggestions? (to sync my Windows Live or Outlook Calendar with my BB)
*Reminder: there is no .pst file to map.

jeff4L

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I original used Outlook for my emails, contacts, and calendars. But Outlook messed up my contacts by mixing different phones numbers and email, and at times it wouldn't sync. So I use Gmail instead for contacts and just pinned each email.

Forgewizard

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
started with outlook many moons ago, but first palm device convinced me to switch to the palm calendar/pim mgr so I stayed with Palm desktop. Don't use outlook at work either - that platform is covered by GroupWise.

Windows Live and Yahoo mail Plus handle contacts.
maybe after windows 8 comes out I'll look at Outlook again.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Personal Outlook on computer is kinda horrible. A bit slow I think (bulky software, can't share/sync calendar with others, as far as I've tried). It's kinda bad if you are using Gmail not based on POP3. The initial downloading is driving me nuts. For pop3 services, Outlook is quite good but I still think browser is more efficient.

For WP7, it's quite snappy and efficient.

OUtlook is not slow unless your computer was manufacturered in 2002. Outlook is actually faster and uses less resources than Windows Live Mail.

If you don't need Outlook, just use Windows Live Mail to manage your stuff. You can use Windows Live with Outlook via the Connector. Outlook blows Windows Live Mail away.

Anyone who is serious about scheduling, I'd recommend Outlook even for a Windows Live User, especially if you find yourself at your desktop or laptop a lot...

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I use Windows Live email and it sync's well to Outlook 2007 using Outlook connector. I had a BB Pearl and it also sync'd to Outlook using Desktop Manager. While there was no mapping for Desktop Manager to use with Outlook (due to no .pst file with Windows Live email), the two programs still communicated for the sync. BUT I have a BB 9380 now and it will not sync the calendar. The contacts sync wirelessly with Windows Live account. Suggestions? (to sync my Windows Live or Outlook Calendar with my BB)
*Reminder: there is no .pst file to map.

Nope. Outlook Caches Windows Live Data similar to how it Caches Exchange data. PST files are for local data, mostly. Windows Live and Exchange data are ultimately stored on the Microsoft or Exchange Servers.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
L:ive Hotmail calenda is getting more improvements in the near future gin. It is becoming r robust and wth the addition of to dos to the native calendar on the phone its getting closer IMHO in functionality with outlook. I have got the inox for live hotmail with the same basic folders I have in outlook so I am thinking that I may move all my email into hotmail instead iof al through outlook.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
The benefit of outlook isn't the functionality per se, but the actual application. Windows Live mail is more than capable for non outlook users and it was built for Windows Live services.

If you use Live Messenger, it allows mail ti be pushed to Live mail similar ti an Exchange account, as well.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vichuz121