Anyone using a Windows phone NOT on a major carrier?

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm making the switch from WebOS to Windows. Currently on Sprint but they just screwed over my wife, so I'm done with them. Was looking around at other companies and I find the amount the big 4 carriers charge for service to be ridiculous.

So, I started looking at Simple, Metro, Virgin, etc. I noticed most of them don't have Windows phones. Wondering if any of you are on these type of plans?

I don't need my phones to do a lot. Mostly social networking, emails, photos and texts. No gaming. Looking for the right fit.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
You'll have to go with a GSM phone so you can add a SIM card. I think Simple is on T-Mobile, and H20 is on AT&T.

You would be best getting a WP7 phone from their network so you can have 3G. If you try using a AT&T phone on a T-mobile network you'll only get 2G.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
US Cellular, if it serves your area, has the HTC 7 Pro. I have a friend who raves about their service, so does Consumer Reports. Don't know about the prices however.

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen the $30 for 5gb, 100 talk and unlimited texts. That's pretty much exactly what I need. I'll go check for that option again. Thanks.

Also, is the HD7 considered to be the best GSM phone?

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I haven't seen the $30 for 5gb, 100 talk and unlimited texts. That's pretty much exactly what I need. I'll go check for that option again. Thanks.

Also, is the HD7 considered to be the best GSM phone?

Everyone has their favorite devices, but my favorite Gen I GSM Windows Phone is my trusty LG Quantum. The original Focus is also a good option, although if you are just looking for a good device for email and messaging the Quantum is definitely the one for you. You will be able to find one for a good price on Ebay.

Sent from my SGH-i937 Focus S using Board Express!

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Sorry you are having trouble with sprint.

They are the cheapest AND they have true unlimited data. That's why I am staying with them.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
ok, so I'm probably considered on a major carrier (I presume by major carriers we mean carriers that own their own spectrum, like AT&T and Sprint do), however I'm on a network called Three. Of course, we don't have the charging out the wazoo you guys have on this network. But we're stuck with the HTC 8X (it's the ONLY WP8 available on the network, it's as if the CEO of Hutchinson Whampoa and Peter Chou are sleeping together...) so that's kind of annoying. Fortunately, we don't have the same arbitrary CDMA/GSM incompatibilities over here. So yeah. I might be swapping over to a non-major carrier though (Virgin Mobile) and buying a Lumia 920 off-contract.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon