Newbie with a couple of quick questions

rezzet

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I just recently bought HTC titan and this is my first experience with WP7. Before I was primarily WebOS and BB user. While I'm very much enjoying WP7 as of yet, I did run into a couple of things I can't seem to be able figure out. So perhaps you seasoned pros can point me in a right direction.

1. How do I set up a default startup page for the IE? I figured I can pin any page to start screen, but is there a way to just make IE go to a specific page on start up so I don't have to have an extra unattractive icon on my home screen?

2. Is it possible to make VOICE search results not filter profanity. It seems to me that even some relatively tame words get replaced with "@#$%".

3. There are no folders for IE bookmarks is there? And is there any way to batch import them from say desktop's Firefox export file?

I'm sure I'm going to have more questions as I explore, so I hope you guys are a bit patient with me and my "newbieness". :blush:

THANK YOU!

Xtian.Castro

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I just recently bought HTC titan and this is my first experience with WP7. Before I was primarily WebOS and BB user. While I'm very much enjoying WP7 as of yet, I did run into a couple of things I can't seem to be able figure out. So perhaps you seasoned pros can point me in a right direction.

1. How do I set up a default startup page for the IE? I figured I can pin any page to start screen, but is there a way to just make IE go to a specific page on start up so I don't have to have an extra unattractive icon on my home screen?

2. Is it possible to make VOICE search results not filter profanity. It seems to me that even some relatively tame words get replaced with "@#$%".

3. There are no folders for IE bookmarks is there? And is there any way to batch import them from say desktop's Firefox export file?

I'm sure I'm going to have more questions as I explore, so I hope you guys are a bit patient with me and my "newbieness". :blush:

THANK YOU!
My man you are a pretty savvy user already. I'm afraid I have mostly disappointing answers for you.

1. There is no way to have IE default to a page, however if you're fond of a particular page, I can recommend an app called "My Live Tiles" it will let you set up a tile on your homescreen that for example will launch a webpage in IE, but you'll be able to add a custom pretty icon as opposed to the crappy page overview that IE does.

2.No way to change voice command settings in that regard.

3. As far as bookmarks go, you'll have to start fresh, no import function. sorry man.

anyways good luck to you.

rezzet

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
My man you are a pretty savvy user already. I'm afraid I have mostly disappointing answers for you.

1. There is no way to have IE default to a page, however if you're fond of a particular page, I can recommend an app called "My Live Tiles" it will let you set up a tile on your homescreen that for example will launch a webpage in IE, but you'll be able to add a custom pretty icon as opposed to the crappy page overview that IE does.

2.No way to change voice command settings in that regard.

3. As far as bookmarks go, you'll have to start fresh, no import function. sorry man.

anyways good luck to you.
Thanks, Xtian. I guess it will have to do for now. But here is another problem I just bumped into. When I launched Marketplace, it assigned me an id "Player#####". Is it possible to change that handle to something more presentable?

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, Xtian. I guess it will have to do for now. But here is another problem I just bumped into. When I launched Marketplace, it assigned me an id "Player#####". Is it possible to change that handle to something more presentable?

Yes, it's possible.

You can go to xbox.com and change your "gamertag" (that's your online name on WP7 phones as well.) It costs 800MS points which is $10US.

I am not sure that if you haven't set up an Xbox Live account yet maybe the name-change will be free? Just just go to xbox.com and login with your live account that you set your phone up on. Good luck!

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
First gamer tag changes is free and you can do it from tour PC by going to XBOX live and logging in.

martin_strahilovski

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi Guys,

THANK YOU!

This is solution to all your problems! Download new Browser (SurfCube3D) and wallah, that's it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon