A Decent Windows Phone for T-Mobile?

TheAsbo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
The HTC Radar and Nokia Lumia 710 look okay... but I was really hoping to get a phone with more than 8GB of storage and a good camera. I'm not looking for an entry level phone. Is there any news or even rumors of some higher end Windows phones coming to T-Mobile?

LinT

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
As far as specs go...the HD7 is still a really good phone (especially for the price) Its got a big screen, 1Ghz, and 16GB storage. They only thing it lacks is 4G. So if thats not a big deal for you then id highly recommend it.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Wait and see what Nokia/T-mobile announce on December 14th. They may give a hint as to what is coming in January.

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. The Dell Venue Pro 16gb model is probably the prettiest one on T-Mobile. Regular hspa though.

true. i wish it was HSPA+ but, it is still pretty fast for me most of the time (t-mo has a pretty solid network in my area for the most part). I occaionally use a t-mo 4G hostspot as my internet access (it's mainly just a backup for when the cable internet is down) and when I point the phone to the hotspot it does give my browsing a nice little boost.

Sure do wish my DVP was the 16GB model though (or that I had switched out to a 32GB card when I first got the phone). I'm currently using over 7GB of the space on mine so I tend to keep an eye on what I've got on the phone these days.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
DVP has a 32GB Model. The Camera is terrible, though everything else is pretty good (screen, build quality, etc.).

The HD7 I don't recommend. The Camera takes pink pictures (and the camera app is void of any usable options), it has terrible sound quality, the Screen is pretty bad, and the internal SD storage type can lead to sluggish performance for some Apps/Games. That SoC is End of Life. Unless you're buying off contract, I just can't recommend - personally.

Wait for a better phone to come to T-Mobile. I dunno why they are bringing yet another low end phone. The Radar is enough...

TheAsbo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm really looking for a new phone with the next generation of hardware and I decent camera.
I guess I'll just have to wait.

And I'm pretty sure that announcement on the 14th is for the Nokia Lumia 710, which I'm not excited about.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
DVP has a 32GB Model. The Camera is terrible, though everything else is pretty good (screen, build quality, etc.).

The HD7 I don't recommend. The Camera takes pink pictures (and the camera app is void of any usable options), it has terrible sound quality, the Screen is pretty bad, and the internal SD storage type can lead to sluggish performance for some Apps/Games. That SoC is End of Life. Unless you're buying off contract, I just can't recommend - personally.

Wait for a better phone to come to T-Mobile. I dunno why they are bringing yet another low end phone. The Radar is enough...

The pics aren't pink anymore but compared to what's out there yeah the camera does suck. as for everything else you mentioned... it's pretty accurate.

I'm really looking for a new phone with the next generation of hardware and I decent camera.
I guess I'll just have to wait.

And I'm pretty sure that announcement on the 14th is for the Nokia Lumia 710, which I'm not excited about.

Yeah it's highly, highly, highly, highly, most definitely highly likely that the announcement coming up is for the Lumia 710. From the looks of it, it seems to me that since Windows Phone is still somewhat of a "risk factor" in terms being a business investment, it makes sense that T-Mobile (the carrier that is pretty much dead already whether or not ATT swallows is up) is the carrier of choice when it comes to making "wise" business decisions. What I mean is, since ATT and Verizon have the largest customer bases, the high end phones are likely to be on those networks since Windows Phone is still in its early stages of adoption, it's better to show the attractive phones to the masses rather than the carrier that's bleeding subscribers. What I don't understand though, is why Nokia would go crazy with pentaband phones when they were developing Symbian devices and now jump down to quad-band for the WP devices. It'd be nice to see that flagship device; the rumored "Ace" to have pentaband GSM for dual-network compatibility between ATT and TMo. Also from what I understand (from the rumor) it'll be LTE compatible so if they make it dual-band LTE then it can run on both Verizon and ATT's LTE networks but now I'm just counting the clouds in a dream lol.

Edit: I barely realized I gave you a lecture on Windows Phone but never bothered to answer your question lol. Well to be honest I have an HD7 on T-Mobile and it isn't a bad phone, but with this second generation of WP devices coming out it'd be a very um, dim-witted decision to buy it, especially if it's on contract. I would wait to see what comes out early 2012, as Nokia said they were going to go hard on manufacturing Windows Phones.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I believe that Nokia hasn't been making these new phones pentaband because the carriers don't want it. That's one of the reasons that the carriers were unwilling to subsidize any of Nokias Symbian smartphones. They didn't want phones that could be easily used for a competing network.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
The pics aren't pink anymore but compared to what's out there yeah the camera does suck. as for everything else you mentioned... it's pretty accurate.

Example A - HD7

Example B - HD7

Example C - Vibrant

Obvious Pink Tint, even on objects that aren't even white.

All you have to do is point the camera at a white refrigerator or other white surface. You can even see the pink tint in the viewfinder before the camera takes the picture. It's cause the camera oversaturates red. The white balance is completely useless in it. It's extremely hard to edit it out, too. I have an HD2. It had the same camera module with the same issue. HTC put out a firmware fix to fix it, but the camera quality (sharpness and clarity of the pictures) decreased after that firmware update. I dunno what they did.

With some in-camera options we could probably eliminate most of it and make it a lot easier to edit it out (probably easy enough that an Auto-Fix could remedy most images). The camera takes pictures with pretty bad sharpness comapred to the Vibrant, too.

Last edited:

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
What is your timeframe for getting this new phone?

If its for Xmas then you already know whats out there. If longer just hang loose and see if NOK will be bringing anything better. They should provide something pretty decent for T-Mobile given the internation relations they have with them / parent company.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Yeah it's highly, highly, highly, highly, most definitely highly likely that the announcement coming up is for the Lumia 710. From the looks of it, it seems to me that since Windows Phone is still somewhat of a "risk factor" in terms being a business investment, it makes sense that T-Mobile (the carrier that is pretty much dead already whether or not ATT swallows is up) is the carrier of choice when it comes to making "wise" business decisions. What I mean is, since ATT and Verizon have the largest customer bases, the high end phones are likely to be on those networks since Windows Phone is still in its early stages of adoption, it's better to show the attractive phones to the masses rather than the carrier that's bleeding subscribers. What I don't understand though, is why Nokia would go crazy with pentaband phones when they were developing Symbian devices and now jump down to quad-band for the WP devices. It'd be nice to see that flagship device; the rumored "Ace" to have pentaband GSM for dual-network compatibility between ATT and TMo. Also from what I understand (from the rumor) it'll be LTE compatible so if they make it dual-band LTE then it can run on both Verizon and ATT's LTE networks but now I'm just counting the clouds in a dream lol.

Edit: I barely realized I gave you a lecture on Windows Phone but never bothered to answer your question lol. Well to be honest I have an HD7 on T-Mobile and it isn't a bad phone, but with this second generation of WP devices coming out it'd be a very um, dim-witted decision to buy it, especially if it's on contract. I would wait to see what comes out early 2012, as Nokia said they were going to go hard on manufacturing Windows Phones.

I wonder why this argument is always put forward when it comes to the question of TMobile carrying a higher end WP7 device when the same carrier has no problem carrying high end android devices, like the Amaze 4G, Galaxy S II, Sensation, MyTouch 4G, G2X. I hardly think 1 high end WP7 phone will cripple the carrier and to the contrary might actually stop them "bleeding subscribers and get them some sales from people who actually want a WP7 device. Because I highly doubt any WP7 users on Tmo will look very favourably on the Radar and 710 and consider them worthy upgrades when the likes of the Titan, Focus S and rumoured Ace will be available elsewhere.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
HD7 battery life is excellent if your phone is in standby most of the time for moderate and heavy use its terrible. I do not know how other phones compare because I do not use them. Other wp7 devices I mean. But there have been complaints about lumia 800 and titan battery life as well.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I wonder why this argument is always put forward when it comes to the question of TMobile carrying a higher end WP7 device when the same carrier has no problem carrying high end android devices, like the Amaze 4G, Galaxy S II, Sensation, MyTouch 4G, G2X. I hardly think 1 high end WP7 phone will cripple the carrier and to the contrary might actually stop them "bleeding subscribers and get them some sales from people who actually want a WP7 device. Because I highly doubt any WP7 users on Tmo will look very favourably on the Radar and 710 and consider them worthy upgrades when the likes of the Titan, Focus S and rumoured Ace will be available elsewhere.

Oh trust me I'm on that proverbial boat that you just mentioned. I have an HD7 and I am most definitely not wasting an upgrade on either the Radar or Lumia 710. I was hoping the Titan would make its way over but that is probably not going to happen. I understand that T-Mobile carries high-end Android devices but those are easier to sell than a WP7. Most people are stupid when it comes to getting a smart phone Andriod is a ****ty operating system that blatantly copied iOS and because of its marketshare proliferation it's much easier for a salesman to say "oh yeah that's the latest and greatest Android phone, all of us here have one" and then gets the sale especially because chances are that the person being convinced of buying the Android device probably has friends with Android devices. It makes things that much easier to relate to when its an ANDROID high-end device. When you say it's the latest and greatest Windows Phone on the other hand there's a BIG chance that one of two things will happen: the first is that the person will have no clue as to what a Windows Phone is. OR the person might be SLIGHTLY technologically inclined and just dismiss Windows Phone for Windows Mobile and think to themselves "Oh, crap I remember Windows Mobile **** that sh!t." I know because I am heavily technologically inclined but was so blinded by the "coolness" of Android that I also dismissed Windows Phone as a ****ty WinMo successor without giving it a second thought. Until one day I was bored outta my mind and I started watching YouTube videos and I started really really liking it. Sure enough I ordered my HD7 and NEVER looked back. How's that for an argument? :)

Last edited:

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
HD7 battery life is excellent if your phone is in standby most of the time for moderate and heavy use its terrible. I do not know how other phones compare because I do not use them. Other wp7 devices I mean. But there have been complaints about lumia 800 and titan battery life as well.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Yeah if I leave my HD7 purely on standby and ONLY answer calls but leave texts and emails out of the question it'll actually last me approximately two days with a charge. of course that's because I rarely get calls and I NEVER ignore text messages lol. I did it ONCE just to measure the battery and I was amazed that I got two days off of the charge. It was unplugged at approximately 6 a.m. on a Monday morning and it didn't need charging until Tuesday night at around 8 ish. I did the exact same test with an original Motorola Droid running Cyanogenmod 7 and the battery still took a sh!t on me after about eight hours of being off the charger.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes