What do you use to convert video for Windows Phone?

myanimator

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious as to what software people like to use to convert video to compatible formats and resolution for their Windows Phone.

In the past when I had an iPhone, I always used Handbrake. Handbrake works fine for my Windows Phone too but I was just curious if anyone had any other favorite programs or presets that they really liked.

thanks!

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Handbrake is good. Also, Windows Live Movie Maker (free from Microsoft) works really well (for non protected stuff), and has two built in options for WP7 (higher and lower quality). Easy to use, drag and drop, etc.

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes, Windows Live Movie Maker will browse for my mostly .m2ts/avchd, or .MOV files with one click, then I select and automatically open the file with another. I can save-as in two WP formats, or a ZuneHD 720p one, with a menu, and another click will convert-as-it-saves the file in your My Videos folder -I have sub-folders for my Focus and my Zune HD. Easy, as enahs555 says.

I haven't tried and can't compare it to Handbrake, but the funtionality and integration of WLMM works very well for me. Give it a try and enjoy comparing it yourself.

myanimator

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Cool I will give Windows Live Movie Maker a try. I hadn't heard of that program, but to be fair I've steered away from any of the movie making programs that MS made in the past.

mart280

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I use AVS Video converter if I need to convert a file to put on the phone, but mostly I use TVersity and stream my movies and videos straight from my PC.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Yup tversity and mymedia has been my way as well. Handbrake is not as simple as click and go, but there are some good tutorials on the best settings. Best part is that it can go straight from DVD, pretty sure WLMM can not do that.

myanimator

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
After a few weeks of converting videos I thought I'd just add that between Windows Live Movie Maker and Handbrake, Handbrake is the clear winner.

The end result of Handbrake was a smaller movie created in less time compared to the same movie being converted in WLMM. Visually the both look the same on my phone too. So for that reason, plus the queue in Handbrake, I believe that is my "go to" choice now.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I was just doing a training for this and will probably check it out. I didn't know about all the features until reading it.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Heh, I just let Zune do it automatically, might be faster to do it all manually but it's not let me down yet and I normally keep the phone near the PC anyway.

Perhaps there are unsupported file types that it cannot convert though, I've not found any yet.

myanimator

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Heh, I just let Zune do it automatically, might be faster to do it all manually but it's not let me down yet and I normally keep the phone near the PC anyway.

Perhaps there are unsupported file types that it cannot convert though, I've not found any yet.

I've only found mpeg-4 files that Zune could handle. Most of my videos are in a divx or xvid compressed AVI and Zune tried to transfer them to my phone and convert but in the end actually didn't do anything so I've had to convert them ahead of time using handbrake.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs