I never would have considered a WP...

nopre

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
if it weren't for a Verizon rep.

My old Pre+ was getting wonky and I was considering going back to a BB so I went to the V store to check out some phones. When I told the rep that I was pretty happy with Webos, just not the crapola it was installed in, he immediately steered me towards the HTC Trophy. He knew nothing about WP but said that he read somewhere that Webos users seemed to be migrating to WP.

I knew nothing about WP either so I did some web research before returning to the store for my upgrade. I was actually able to show the rep some of the phones features and he seemed pretty impressed with it. He knew nothing about the Mango update and said that he would be sure to get the demos upgraded. I can't say he was a convert because he was pretty into his big friggin' Meg-0-Droid, or whatever, but he was diggin' the trophy.

I just thought I'd mention it because it seems most folks report having android/iphones pushed on them and this wasn't the case with me.

In fact, were it not for the Verizon rep I would probably be rocking a lame @ss BB or droid :confused:

InfectedPhreak

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

My old Pre+ was getting wonky and I was considering going back to a BB so I went to the V store to check out some phones. When I told the rep that I was pretty happy with Webos, just not the crapola it was installed in, he immediately steered me towards the HTC Trophy. He knew nothing about WP but said that he read somewhere that Webos users seemed to be migrating to WP.

I knew nothing about WP either so I did some web research before returning to the store for my upgrade. I was actually able to show the rep some of the phones features and he seemed pretty impressed with it. He knew nothing about the Mango update and said that he would be sure to get the demos upgraded. I can't say he was a convert because he was pretty into his big friggin' Meg-0-Droid, or whatever, but he was diggin' the trophy.

I just thought I'd mention it because it seems most folks report having android/iphones pushed on them and this wasn't the case with me.

In fact, were it not for the Verizon rep I would probably be rocking a lame @ss BB or droid :confused:

It's good to see some people have a mind and some knowledge to make proper assessments to sell products accordingly. Glad to see not all reps are throwing opinions into peoples faces.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

Is this the WP version of a Christmas Miracle? ;-)

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
And I bet that guy does well in sales... A lot less returns. More customers keeping their devices w/o exchanging or returning.

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
You should make sure to put in a good word with his manager or something. He definitely deserves props for thinking about what might make a customer happy with what they tell him, instead of just trying to pigeonhole everyone to Android, like many seem to be doing.

vtective

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I've always thought Windows Phone was the naturalest progression from WebOs. Nice to see Verizon has some reps that are recommending the phone.

Siah1214

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, pretty much everyone is going WebOS to WP, that's what I did, and I'm seeing it a lot. Cool that he pointed you that direction.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I went into T Mobile today. I am trying to get my wife a new phone and service since hers is astronomical and a BB so an extra charge for their data service which has 1994 internet on it.

Told the T mobile guy I was trying to switch her out of her BB and he said have you seen the WP. I said yeah, I got the biggest around. Whipped out my TITAN and dwarfed his Radar. He loved the maps which happen to be up when I unlocked mine since I was navigating to his store. I told him I came from iOS and loved my new phone. I reluctantly told him I was not going to spend big money or a 2 year contract on a phone for my wife and needed one of the cheapy android piles. All she really does is text so it doesnt need to be a Galaxy S2 or anything. Anyway, its out of my way since I was on lunch break, but that IS where I will be getting her phone from, and from him. Of course he knew nothing about android it seemed so I may have just had luck of the irish or something getting him as a rep when I walked in.

The Liaison

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Seems cool - ever since my first smartphone(BB Curve 8900) I always go into stores knowing what I want without anyone trying to "sell" me a phone - makes my day easier.

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
I reluctantly told him I was not going to spend big money or a 2 year contract on a phone for my wife and needed one of the cheapy android piles.
Cheap WP >>>>> feature phone >>> cheap Android. Especially for mostly texting. It is a pain every time I have to deal with my partner's Samsung Transform, which he hates a lot, too. I wish Sprint had a Radar/Flash/710.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Cheap WP >>>>> feature phone >>> cheap Android. Especially for mostly texting. It is a pain every time I have to deal with my partner's Samsung Transform, which he hates a lot, too. I wish Sprint had a Radar/Flash/710.
I agree... the transform is garbage. I presume he doesn't want a slide-out keyboard with the Arrive?

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
I agree... the transform is garbage. I presume he doesn't want a slide-out keyboard with the Arrive?
No, he seems to prefer the slide-out keyboard, but the pricing at the time (and for an unnecessarily long time after) was more than he wanted to spend on a phone ($199). If they had a $49 phone at the time, I'm fairly certain I could have easily convinced him to get the superior OS even without a keyboard.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
She also needs email. Do feature phones email? I have really never looked at what a feature phone is. If the radar was not $400 I would get it. I am leaning towards just unlocking her BB and paying the $10/mo extra for a blackberry.

TheRewardisCheese

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
......... I always go into stores knowing what I want without anyone trying to "sell" me a phone - makes my day easier.

Amen brother, I am exactly the same way. Also FWIW, I was at an AT&T store a few days ago to pick up a new phone (WP of course) and loved the fact the all the WP phones were up at the front of store, not buried deep in the back in a corner. Coincidentally, I was at a different AT&T store last night to pick up a case and saw all their WP phones literally stuck in back corner of the store, almost completely out of the line of sight.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I learned of WP from the manager of the local Bell retailer (Canadian carrier). He sold me on it pre-mango. He listened to what I want from a phone and pointed me to an HD7, which I'm using to post this as we speak, and I loved it immediately. Since mango, I am officially a ******. I'm so committed to WP that if MS throws in the towel I may go back to a feature phone...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb