Not so well known WP7 functionality

Fleon

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
How do you make a checkbox "to-do" list style note in OneNote? Right now I just have a list of stuff that I just delete after done but the checkboxes are more elegant

On the desktop:
Select what you want to have check boxes
Under the "Home" tab, "Tags" section, click to-do boxes

On mobile:
Highlight what you want to have check boxes
Push the check box button at the bottom

Poof. Done. Easy.

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
On the desktop:

On mobile:

Poof. Done. Easy.

holy crap. Have had a WP since launch back in 2010 and never realized check boxes show up at the bottom when you highlight something in onenote

thank you

i106

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
When using email, touching the far left of the screen (next to the email title) brings out check boxes to select and manipulate multiple emails.

pikacz

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
* when you browse your photos by date, touch the name of the month and the year, and you will get a full list of months and years
* in the calendar month view touch the name of the month and then you can jump to any month in any year

chucky78

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
More Voice functions in the Handicap settings.

If you go to settings and go to "ease of access" which is the handicap settings and turn on "speech for phone accessibility" when the phone rings the name of the person that is calling will be repeated while the phone rings letting you know who is calling. It also expands the voice options for texting. A very useful feature that I ignored because it was in the handicap section. It's great to know who is calling without having to look at your screen. You might screen more calls with this feature on

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
On the desktop:

On mobile:

Poof. Done. Easy.

sweeeeet!!!!! thanks! I never noticed before that you could do that with OneNote. :cool:

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
It's not much of a biggie, but once you know about it, it saves time...

After pressing the arrow to access the list of apps, you can press again (in the same position) to bring up the alphabetical menu. You can press to the right of any blue letter to access the menu; you don't have to press on the icon itself.

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Im still not seeing this functionality I have had the same music in the Volume bar sense 4 O'Clock. What exactly are you doing to get this to happen?

Sorry I got to you all late. I forgot I even posted on this thread. There needs to be a better notification system for replies. Lol

Anyway, TBH, I didn't really do anything to it. It just happens. My mom has the Lumia 900 too (I converted her from android) and it does the same thing. I'll try to fiddle around with the settings but so far I haven't seen anything that suggests it can be turned on or off, it just happens

ItsDon

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
50GB SkyDrive space with 2 accounts

I registered my XBox 360 using a Gmail address. I also have a Hotmail address. I wiped my phone and did the initial registration/setup with the Gmail address so my Xbox Live avatar and games work on the Lumia and then added my Hotmail address as a second email. Both addresses give you 25GB SkyDrive space.

I have my camera set to auto upload photos to the Gmail address and I have the SkyDrive App login to the Hotmail address, 50GB total - nice!

Both SkyDrives are available to me on my computer by simply logging out of one and into the other. I keep nothing but music and photos on one and everything else on the other.

15gdm

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
you say you can "mount a drive for Skydrive" on your PC. How do you do that? I have looked around, but haven't found anything that works well...
I would also like to know how to do this. I can't find any search results that explain how to map the "camera roll" folder......

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
How did it take me over a year to think of this?!?
7944f8d6b2e63800.png

Pin SkyDrive to your taskbar to make accessing the site and transferring Office files much faster.
3716.Add_2D00_SkyDrive.com_2D00_to_2D00_your_2D00_desktop_2D00_for_2D00_quick_2D00_access_5F00_thumb_5F00_11E43B0F.png

Last edited:

pikacz

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
It's not much of a biggie, but once you know about it, it saves time...

After pressing the arrow to access the list of apps, you can press again (in the same position) to bring up the alphabetical menu. You can press to the right of any blue letter to access the menu; you don't have to press on the icon itself.

the same goes for accessing the three dot menu, you don't have to press the dots, you can press on the other side of the screen too :)

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Several months ago someone asked how do you repeat just one song.

Double tap on repeat. A little number "1" will appear next to it symbolizing that only that one song will only play.

MelonMobile

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
How to search text in a browser (CTRL + F in Windows)

A couple of things I discovered on my LG Optimus:

- There's no native way to pin WiFi on&off switch to main screen, but with ConnectivityShortcuts app you can pin tiles for toggling your connections. Data & WiFi are most useful in my opinion, but there is also Bluetooth and Airplane mode.
I often switch from data to WiFi to save on traffic and instead of rummaging through Settings every time, I just use the main screen shortcuts.

- This may be obvious, but it took me some time to realize it: If you tap and hold on a tile, you can rearrange the order of all your tiles, not just the one you tapped on. Just single-tap on any other tile and move it around. A tap on either side of the tiles will exit the rearrange mode.

One thing I have not learned how to do is search text within a web page open through my mobile browser (the CTRL + F function in desktop Windows). I'd like to know how to do it in any browser available for WP, mostly in IE, though.

Can anyone help out with this one?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes