do open apps drain battery

bevt

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
Closing apps requires you to back, back, back, back, back out of it (annoying).

Does it use much battery to leave them open, just hit home and move on to something else?

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
In almost all cases, no. Things like the Zune music player keep playing in the background, so they use battery, but most "normal" apps don't run unless they are visible on screen.

Some apps have the ability to get short bursts of execution time every half hour, but only if they get your permission. (Start Settings, swipe sideways to Applications, tap Background tasks.)

These background tasks are often used for updating live tiles that need up-to-date handset-aware information. (Tile updates that come from servers don't have current information about the phone, only what was provided when the tile "subscription" was established. The ones running as background tasks have access to current info, like GPS (for updating weather tiles), etc.

One of my apps has a backgroun task that gets info from a university server to update 4 tiles to let students know when there are course announcements from profs, when grades are posed, how much money is left on their meal plan cards, etc. You can do a lot in 15 seconds, but sometimes even these updates can't complete in time.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone doesn't actually multitask so leaving apps open doesn't have much effect.

To close an app, though, hold the "back" button. Select the app in the card view. Then press "back" and closed!

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
In one line - No, hitting home, puts the other app as dormant unless it's Mango enable and allowed to run under lock-screen/background e.g. music, radios, weather etc. - and everything said above by others! :)

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering this myself the other day. I suddenly started getting a rapid drain on my battery. After taking the battery out for awhile it seems to have cleared itself of whatever was causing it.

Lukas Krepelka

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Closing apps requires you to back, back, back, back, back out of it (annoying).

Does it use much battery to leave them open, just hit home and move on to something else?

No it doesn't bacause Windows Phone 7 doesn't actually real multitask. It's some kind of fake mutlitasking so if you hit home button the current application doesn't run on backround but freeze itself and that's why apps open on backround don't drain battery on Windows Phone 7 operating system.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs