Appreciate your phones guys, TRUST ME

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
This thread is typical of WP7 users when other people point out limitations of the OS. A lot of us don't feel like "managing" our media to make sure we stay under the artificial 16 GB limit of current WP7 offerings. We don't feel like looking for substitutes for applications we like (I have a whole list that I use all the time on Android). It doesn't matter "how much better" WP7 is than Android any more than it mattered "how much better" Mac Os was than either DOS or early Windows was. If you are the underdog and looking to attract new customers (not just a few dumb or feature phone users) you need to be BETTER than the competition in all ways or you're going to fail - WebOS was way better than iOS or Android and a complete failure in the marketplace. The smartphone market is way more mature and saying people should just switch because WP7 is so elegant and better has worked very poorly so far. How's it going to do when Microsoft abandons WP7 for WP8 - that's going to really engender some loyalty and confidence in MS.

I'd accept your argument if it weren't for two things. 8-16GB is still considered normal and the average user is just fine with it (the OP being a special case). You make it sound like we're talking about 2-4GB. Add in that more memory increases costs and why make everyone pay for something that many just don't care about, and sorry it just doesn't make sense. Im sorry that you can't grasp the fact that your priorities aren't everyone's.

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I'd accept your argument if it weren't for two things. 8-16GB is still considered normal and the average user is just fine with it (the OP being a special case). You make it sound like we're talking about 2-4GB. Add in that more memory increases costs and why make everyone pay for something that many just don't care about, and sorry it just doesn't make sense. Im sorry that you can't grasp the fact that your priorities aren't everyone's.

You're missing the point - why isn't there a single WP (yes I understand MOST people don't need that much) with more than 16 GB and there's a phone like the Focus Flash that has only 8 - is Microsoft and it's partners willing to concede the high end to Apple and Android to save a couple dollars or is WP7 really just an entry level phone for everyone. Are you telling me Nokia couldn't have made a 32 GB (at say $199) Lumia 900? The low spec requirements and the smoothness of the operating system are great (I know that) I'm just making a point to the WP7 community that there is more to specs than just the processor and if you go into the store and look at a WP7 vs some of the competitions higher end offerings (or even mid range) the lower res display (vs iPhone, Galaxy Nexus, New GSIII, HTC One X) is something that people will notice. Finally, it's difficult for me to see how MS expects to gain market share without the #1 carrier.

mhans311

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
You're missing the point - why isn't there a single WP (yes I understand MOST people don't need that much) with more than 16 GB and there's a phone like the Focus Flash that has only 8 - is Microsoft and it's partners willing to concede the high end to Apple and Android to save a couple dollars or is WP7 really just an entry level phone for everyone. Are you telling me Nokia couldn't have made a 32 GB (at say $199) Lumia 900? The low spec requirements and the smoothness of the operating system are great (I know that) I'm just making a point to the WP7 community that there is more to specs than just the processor and if you go into the store and look at a WP7 vs some of the competitions higher end offerings (or even mid range) the lower res display (vs iPhone, Galaxy Nexus, New GSIII, HTC One X) is something that people will notice. Finally, it's difficult for me to see how MS expects to gain market share without the #1 carrier.

While I agree with most of your points, this isn't really the topic for this thread.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Totally off topic. Rant about that mess somewhere else. There are plenty of threads open that you can piggy back on.

And I don't see why people are so mad that people like this lesser spec phone. Let us live! Let us be who we want to be without feeling like we did something wrong.

rich4A1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
You guys have NO idea how bad it is to have to switch to android and just how much you'll miss your phone once you change.

Sort of how I felt when I got my Kindle Fire. I haven't bought any electronic product that brought so little excitement for a very long time. Even my Arc Touch Mouse was more exciting when I first got it.

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site
The worst possible thing ever occurred to my HD7 last week. I left a glass of water on my nightstand near my phone and I knocked it over while tossing in my sleep. It marinated in water all night. By the morning it was beyond saving.

Being a T-mobile customer, My only other options were the Lumia 710 and the Radar, while nice, a media heavy user like myself really cannot do the 8GB limit. (I flashed a 64 GB card to my HD7.)

SO today I went and got a Nexus android since it was free by resigning a contract, figured it'd hold me til windows 8 came out and i'd just get one early instead of waiting the 2 years

You guys have NO idea how bad it is to have to switch to android and just how much you'll miss your phone once you change. I hate this phone; custom roms, fake wp7 music launchers and all cannot save it. Cherish those live tiles guys and stop worrying about whether your phone will make it to windows 8. It's a sad sad day for me over here

I just joined but been lurking here for a while. Me and the wife are moving our service from T-Mobile to AT&T in about a week(waiting to receive our off-contract brought phones) and we just so happen to both own windows phone 7's. I was going to sell our phones on ebay but I'll probably just sell hers since she has a lumia 710.

I guess this is a lucky day for you my friend, I sympathize as once I was a college kid once and know your struggles. My phone is the dell venue pro that is capable of the micro sd card reset swap. It is in good condition except for the occasional corner ding when I dropped it. As a fellow windows phone owner I would be glad to send it to you free of charge if you want it. It's in a case now that protects it even when you slide it up for the physical keyboard and has a screen protector. It currently has a 32Gb micro SD card in it along with the original 8Gb card for spare.

This is the luck of the draw that I lurk here ever so often. The dell phone probably won't get me much on ebay so what better thing to do than help out my fellow man.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

the lower res display is not a factor, especially since most android users are on HVGA screens. The 16GB iPhone is also the highest selling model so the general public also really doesn't care about storage space either, they get most of their music and video entertainment from streaming apps. VZ will get more WP phones in the fall to coincide with Apollo. Troll harder.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Calm down (I'm sorry), my point is I highly doubt you access all 64GB at all times as you walk down the street. Just ask yourself what's more important to you, something that you use every minute (the OS/hardware) or something that you only make use of over long stretches of time (ALL 64GB). You record a ton of stuff, okay that's a good reason. But you're telling me you can't offload that/upload to skydrive/figure out another way? What if you lose your device, it's just all gone. Anyway good luck.

I should add that I believe the Dell Venue Pro is also moddable internally, I think quite a few WP7 devices are.
SkyDrive for music is a freaking joke. I really wish people would stop touting that as an acceptable solution to the lack of expandable storage. Never since the beginning of recorded music would you have to wait 30 seconds for a song to start until now. That is not progress and is not acceptable.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Adding a microSD card slot is all we ask. That doesn't add much cost to the phone. It's lame that my Pocket PC phone from 9 years ago had expandable storage, but the WP of 2012 doesn't. End of argument.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Adding a microSD card slot is all we ask. That doesn't add much cost to the phone. It's lame that my Pocket PC phone from 9 years ago had expandable storage, but the WP of 2012 doesn't. End of argument.
Sorry, but microSD cards do not help with a positive user experience for "most" users. Excluding, you, me, and a handful of others that is. Failing cards, digging inside of phones, hard resets, losing all data, are not things that Microsoft wants to associate with WP.

I will agree that 32GB models would go a long way in making many users happy, at an increased cost of course. But that won't happen till overall WP increases so it can be cost justified at the manufacturing level. Maybe next year.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I agree, jimski. MicroSD cards, even from SanDisk, are not the most stable and reliable media devices.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
SkyDrive for music is a freaking joke. I really wish people would stop touting that as an acceptable solution to the lack of expandable storage. Never since the beginning of recorded music would you have to wait 30 seconds for a song to start until now. That is not progress and is not acceptable.

I was talking about storing, not streaming, which until now I was unaware that you can't upload/download MP3's to skydrive. Yeah that sucks but still, the average user doesn't require it. I'd love a 7" WP7 but I don't yell at everyone about it.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I was talking about storing, not streaming, which until now I was unaware that you can't upload/download MP3's to skydrive. Yeah that sucks but still, the average user doesn't require it. I'd love a 7" WP7 but I don't yell at everyone about it.

I have 9 GB worth of songs and videos on my SkyDrive.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

what carrier are you with? My songs start instantly or within 5 seconds.

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, but microSD cards do not help with a positive user experience for "most" users. Excluding, you, me, and a handful of others that is. Failing cards, digging inside of phones, hard resets, losing all data, are not things that Microsoft wants to associate with WP.

I will agree that 32GB models would go a long way in making many users happy, at an increased cost of course. But that won't happen till overall WP increases so it can be cost justified at the manufacturing level. Maybe next year.

That is my point - 99% of all users would be fine with 32GB (including myself) while 16GB ESPECIALLY with Data Caps (and inconsistent 3/4G/LTE service) can marginal to not enough for a lot of users. I don't mind non-expandable memory with WP7 - not having enough is a huge deal. And don't tell me about the cost - if the retail cost of 32 GB total is around $20 (maybe) and 16 GB is around $10 don't tell me Nokia, Samsung, LG, HTC couldn't make a 32 GB phone for $99/$199 - I just don't get it.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Damn Board Express. I hate this not being able to quote. Anyway, to the SkyDrive MP3 conversations. Have you tried SkyMusic? You should.

Trivor: MicroSD cards are not the same as NAND memory. That's why they cost next to nothing, and "fail" all the time. Your phones NAND memory has to be made to never fail. Just like the iPhone, if there ever is a 32GB WP phone, expect to pay a $100 premium, for extra memory, additional (different) packaging, different production run, stocking charges, etc. Baseline phones may never be more than 16GB, unless the cost of the memory drops like a rock.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon