Blackberry Bold 9900 or Nokia Lumia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlarkins08

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Don't know what lumia you are getting but I had the lumia 710 with t-mobile (7months) it was okay but things started happening that I wasn't satisfied with and I was missing my BlackBerry notifications and LED lights.. Windows phone is great but the tiles don't always update and I just find my self needing more ways to be notified besides the tiles.. At least BB has the LED lights that never fails so I got a brand new BB Bold 9900 and very happy with my decision.. It works for me I don't need all the apps and junk on my phones I have a iPod touch for that..

Sent from my iPod Touch (4th Generation) using Tapatalk

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Neither phone is getting the next big update. The current Lumias are getting 7.8 (not WP8), but so far there's not a complete 7.8 feature list. At one point I considered going BlackBerry but then realized that I wanted a more consumer centered phone. At the time I went with the original Samsung Focus. Since then WP7 continued to grow in both apps and usability while BlackBerry went stagnant. Cut to today and not much has changed. IMO, if you're choices are zombie-BlackBerry or zombie-Lumia, hands down go with the Lumia. You're going to get more out of your Lumia now then you will with a BlackBerry.

Unless you need a phone for business related features like email or... um email. Then BB gains a little bit more ground.

jkrc717

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Ugh.. i need advice..

I'm in bad situation here.

I've asked for advice on other platform forums, but everyone is so bias.

Hopefully no one here will just stick up for WP's and try and help me out.

I have a Blackberry 9900. I loved it. The main reason is because of the physical keyboard. That is the one and only reason I have stuck with Blackberry.

However, I've grown tired of it. Any Blackberry user knows that you always have problems and you have to pull out the battery and back in at least once a day.

I've also grown bored of it. This is their flagship phone and it's specs are on the level of phones from over two years ago. They don't even have a front face camera.

Now my BB is starting to malfunction. Getting worse by the day.

So I need a new phone.

The best case scenario for me would be to get the new Blackberry 10 physical keyboard since I do not like touch screens.

But that phone has been delayed till sometime in early 2013! I will not wait that long.

Even though I don't like touch screens, I am well aware that physical keyboards are almost extinct. So maybe I should start getting used to one.

I just read a new updated that the new Nokia Lumia will be available in September.

I am not a fan of the IPhone. It's not that it's a bad phone or anything. For some reason I just refuse to jump on the apple bandwagon.

I'm on T-Mobile. I can get a Nokia Lumia 710 and after before 30 days I can get a different phone with no penalty.

I figure I can get the Lumia 710, get used to using a WP and when the new Lumia comes out, I can switch.

So what's my problem? The problem is, that's just an idea. I have no clue what to do or what I want.

Do I go android? Do I get another blackberry and wait for bb10? Do I go with WP?

I'm so lost.

I'd appreciate any advice from anyone and I apology for the long message.

Oh and please be unbias.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Well. It depends on you.
If you're very social.like you love to dirt talk with your gf or talk with your friends on the messenging app and keep on the go and also the out standing integration on wp and out of the box smoothness and a love beautiful apps. Then wp is the way to go. But you better wait for wp8. Much more worth it and you get Skype integration into your phone. You get much better hardware specs And pureview if you can

If you love customization. Go android but there will be some apps with malware if you concern with your info stolen.
If you have patience then bb10 and love the physical keyboard is good for you.

Hope that helps :D. Hope you join wp. You'll love it here

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Go for the WP and not Android. I'll even recommend getting an HD7 used off eBay and keep it until the EP8s come out then use the upgrade on that. I recommend HTC because the included sound enhancer provides surround sound through headphones or stereo speakers.

mhans311

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Well you've come to one of the most biased forums on the internet.

If you decide to go with WP, there's no use getting one until WP8 comes out as none of the current phones will be upgraded to that.

If you decide on Android, don't worry about malware. It's very rare and is overblown in these forums. I have had an android phone for 2 years and have downloaded literally hundreds of apps and I've never been concerned about it once. I don't know anyone who has had a problem with it.

I've used a Windows Phone for a while now too and it is a nice smooth experience. It just lacks a few things. Maybe it won't bother you though since you are coming from BB. (That was not meant sarcastically or as a joke or anything)

Last edited:

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Knowing what I know now, I'd buy neither of them.

I'd buy a HTC, sell it in half a year or so (at least wait untill you're sure that WP8 is worth it), and then go for a WP8. But that's what I would do, I prefer customization over WP. Even if a HTC won't be as smooth as WP on some fronts, I'd have a lot more fun with it then I do with this Lumia I have now, and heard only good things about HTC lately, and be honest, they are very good looking. WP is BORING as ****. About 4x per day it goes : tap tap, done. And that's it, apart from a quick game here and there. You just can't do a lot with it for now. Way too limited on all fronts. But again, that's just me apparently.

WP, I'd leave it alone for a while, trust me, you'll be dissapointed if you buy it now.
iPhone should be ok also, but then again I would wait for iPhone 5 instead of spending the money on it now.

cheers.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
^ so you'd rather someone buy an iPhone rather than WP? iOS is even more boring than WP, absolutely nothing goes on unless you're in an app which look bland compared to WP apps.

hbananas

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't be worried about jumping on the iPhone bandwagon. Wouldn't you be jumping on another band wagon should you choose android or windows phone? I guess the apple iPhone users do seem more SK because of their following and culture but the best advice I will give you is choose a device with good support.

If you want windows, wait for a flagship windows phone 8 from Nokia Samsung or HTC.

If you want android, get a galaxy nexus or galaxy S3. The galaxy S series has perhaps the biggest dev community next to the nexus phones. The S2 will get jellybean and imagine how much more it will be able to do then imagine how long the S3 will live on. Then look at the nexus phones, the nexus S has jellybean update while majority of OEM phones are still ginger bread. These are tops if you choose android. HTC would be next but Samsung has been extremely good about releasing updates and source code which is great for the community.

And there's only one choice for iPhone but can't beat the simplicity, beauty and ecosystem.

There really isn't much else other than the sea of android OEM with custom skins.

Choose a system that works for you. And try them all out so you know what works for you. Good luck

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
OP, why not wait a couple of months and see what's out? WP8, the next iphone and some new androids will be available. All three will be better than the blackberry. Then you could go into the stores and play with the different phones and see what you like. If you do want to buy right now I think you would be pleased with the Lumia, it is definitely a nice phone.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Tbh, I think you need to hold out until September 5th, then make your decision. Nokia is holding an event on that day, and they'll probably announce new Lumias and maybe even dates. By then, you should known for sure.

I would not recommend Android, however, as it becomes very slow after a while.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
...If you decide on Android, don't worry about malware. It's very rare and is overblown in these forums. I have had an android phone for 2 years and have downloaded literally hundreds of apps and I've never been concerned about it once. I don't know anyone who has had a problem with it.....

I have an Android phone. The malware issue is real. He does need to be careful, just like anyone else with an Android.

I just saw this article at BGR: Android is under attack: New malware threats tripled in Q2

Android malware Q2 2012 study -- New Android malware tripled in Q2

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I have an Android phone. The malware issue is real. He does need to be careful, just like anyone else with an Android.

I just saw this article at BGR: Android is under attack: New malware threats tripled in Q2

Android malware Q2 2012 study -- New Android malware tripled in Q2

Excellent advice. Make sure and read the permissions you are giving the app too. I personally haven't had any issues with malware on android, but I usually stick to popular and higher rated apps. It never hurts to be cautious with an android device.

Alex_Hong

May 11, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, I wouldn't actually recommend buying any platform at the moment. All current lumia devices won't get wp8, all current bb won't get bb10, if you get an iPhone 4s now the price might drop when the new iPhone comes out. Plus the Nokia event is happening in a week or 2. Why not just wait it out?

The 2 phones that you have listed are both great device. Frankly in terms of overall text input, physical keyboard + trackpad is the best combo out there. But as you know bb are not that app and games centric. WP would have a lot more apps and games. In terms of social network I have to go with Wp, the social integration is better than that of bb. The WP is a more consumer friendly phone, you don't have to worry about battery pulls, or memory leak. You just use it.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Excellent advice. Make sure and read the permissions you are giving the app too. I personally haven't had any issues with malware on android, but I usually stick to popular and higher rated apps. It never hurts to be cautious with an android device.

Exactly! :cool:

I haven't had any issues either, and I do what you do, I stick to popular and higher rated applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa