Mature Market? | iPhone press release thoughts

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
So I am watching the iPhone 5 press converence and something's missing. My first thoughts are that the market has matured so we are going to see less whiz-bang-oh-my features from here on out. Its simply not sustainable.

Maybe, it was all the leaks...

I've been taking pokes at my wife throughout the conference about blandness, but in reality I am more entrenched in my preference for WP8+. I see nothing there that could/would make me switch.

The camera is interesting(?)
No NFC chip? Must have skipped it?
No bluetooth 4.0 as been rumored
The software didn't even blow me away. No live tiles / widget functionality. Just rows and rows and rows and rows of icons.

p.s. I am one of the guys that likes a clean-iconless desktop on my work/home computer...drives me nuts

Next year, what would wow us as consumers from manufacturer...I mean it looks like they are just scaling down laptops to phone size and how many of us gets excited about the 2012 model from ABC company anymore.

I think this area of large phone innovation is dead.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Remember that in the late 1970s, analysts thought the computer wars were over, and the standard was CP/M.

Then in the mid 1980s, the boom-growth of home PCs ended and many thought that the 8-bit era would be remembered as a bubble that was as big as PCs would ever be.

Then in the early 1990s, there was a prediction that the market was saturated and the magic was over.

And so on.

Here we are in 2012 and there are 2 BILLION PCs in use out there.

I'd say that we're at the same place in smartphones that PCs were in 1984. The iPhone, Android and WPs of today are the Apple II, Commodore and MS-DOS of their day (respectively). There's so much more opportunity to come!

TeamCharles

May 29, 2012
Visit site
So I am watching the iPhone 5 press converence and something's missing. My first thoughts are that the market has matured so we are going to see less whiz-bang-oh-my features from here on out. Its simply not sustainable.

Maybe, it was all the leaks...

I've been taking pokes at my wife throughout the conference about blandness, but in reality I am more entrenched in my preference for WP8+. I see nothing there that could/would make me switch.

The camera is interesting(?)
No NFC chip? Must have skipped it?
No bluetooth 4.0 as been rumored
The software didn't even blow me away. No live tiles / widget functionality. Just rows and rows and rows and rows of icons.

p.s. I am one of the guys that likes a clean-iconless desktop on my work/home computer...drives me nuts

Next year, what would wow us as consumers from manufacturer...I mean it looks like they are just scaling down laptops to phone size and how many of us gets excited about the 2012 model from ABC company anymore.

I think this area of large phone innovation is dead.

The smartphone industry as whole, I disagree. Simply because each generation of new phone is not revolutionary or innovative doesn't mean the industry is dead from an innovative stand point. Personally I think Microsoft's SmartGlass feature is something future phones will start to incorporate. It's possible SmartGlass doesn't end up working well or it doesn't turn out to be a hit, but the idea of your phone integrating deeply with your TV and other devices is something I expect to see from future phones.

Now for Apple, I agree a little. The iPhone being the innovative leader of smartphones is starting to pass and the iPhone 5 demonstrates this. There really isn't anything innovative about the phone, it's more catch-up features that the 4S is missing. This isn't the first time this has happened to Apple either as Job's was the real source of innovation at Apple.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes