Are WP8 Tiles Ugly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iSeeiSheep

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Do you think WP Tiles need a facelift?

I know that beauty is a personal thing but I am asking this question because I think the tiles are ugly. I own the Lumia 900 and put my iPhone in the drawer awhile back.

What I miss that I feel WP lacks is the sex appeal of the iPhone. I personally feel that is one area Microsoft needs to improve.

I'd love to hear the forums feedback. A poll would also be a nice thing to build the facts.

I personally have skin in this game as a Microsoft shareholder but I'd like to hear what others think

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The tiles are not ugly. I like that it's different from standard icons. I don't think they server their purpose with most apps, but ugly they are not.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
If they copied the iPhone, Apple would sue them and then try to get their product banned from the marketplace.

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

I know that beauty is a personal thing but I am asking this question because I think the tiles are ugly. I own the Lumia 900 and put my iPhone in the drawer awhile back.

What I miss that I feel WP lacks is the sex appeal of the iPhone. I personally feel that is one area Microsoft needs to improve.

I'd love to hear the forums feedback. A poll would also be a nice thing to build the facts.

I personally have skin in this game as a Microsoft shareholder but I'd like to hear what others think

The only appeal that the iPhone has anymore is their hardware. The iPhone UI is so 2007. I can't think of any reason why MS would copy the look of the iPhone user interface.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

There is nothing sexy about iOS. It is old and outdated. The tiles look fine. Also, feel free to post something positive about WP to contribute to the community.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
windows%20phone%207.8%20change%20tile%20size-250-100.jpg

iphone4-LEAD.jpg

BellaRed

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Nope, not ugly at all.

It is actually the new tiled layout that caught my eye and as a result I'm gonna be getting my first Windows phone, a Lumia 820!

It is very refreshing and different to anything else out there. Perhaps the icon/grid look has had it's day?

I must be honest, I did look at wp7 phones but they layout wasn't as nice (in my opinion) mainly because of the black bar at the side of the screen. I didn't think this look could be improved upon but I was wrong.

There are endless ways that this screen can be customised. Pictures, icons, live tiles, different shapes, sizes and colours..... Lovely!

sconrad308

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site

No, WP does not need a facelift.

As for looks, nothing is better than live tiles. The phone is alive and gives you the important information at a glance.

The icon grid of iOS is not good looking or sexy. However if you want to do a poll you can, but you will find you are in the minority.
I know even some of my Android and iPhone friends like the look of my phone. I get asked questions a lot whenever someone sees the tiles flipping and showing their information.

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
As others have said, there is absolutely nothing that is sexy with regards to iOS. I hate the fact that you must have every app, regardless of whether you use it or not, on your homescreen. Also, other than the number of alerts from each app, there is no information whatsoever available to you unless you open the app or check the notification panel. Heck, even the weather app can't show you the current temperature without opening it. Android goes a step further by allowing you to place apps and widgets on the homescreens but I just don't see it at being nearly as cohesive as the Windows Phone OS.

So long as WP8 provides us with a better web browser and a larger app library, I can't imagine myself giving Android or iOS another look. The only other OS that I feel can be competitive would be BB10 if they are able to break their reliance on BES/BIS. I had a PlayBook for a little while and even when it was first released, the OS showed a lot of promise despite the fact that it was essentially a public beta and lacked a lot of core functionality.

TofuDelight

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
Tiles way better than grid of icons. Like someone else once said, iOS and android looks like that guy in the office who saves everything onto their desktop. We've had that look since windows 3.1. Tiles are much fresher.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
The tiles look better than the icons to me. And when you add that they are live and customizable, it's icing on the cake.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
If anything needs a facelift, it's iOS. I hope WP can gain more market share before Apple releases their next disruptive device, whenever that is.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Where Apple has shown lack of vision is the in the UI. Essentially they took the "icon view" from their Mac OS desktop and pasted it onto a smartphone app drawer. No imagination whatsoever. Sure they made them prettier with lighting effects and higher resolution then the old icons but they're still the same dumb app launcher shortcuts that they are. Also every single app you download MUST.APPEAR.IN.APP.DRAWER.

Also the app drawer only can contain application shortcuts. No live tiles. No other content like contacts, maps, stock symbols or any other content you could imagine. The same holds for Windows 8 as for Windows Phone in terms of pinning content that you want to the start screen and having a separate Application List!

Microsoft is way more innovative in software design these days then Apple, but Apple still makes great hardware.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Let me summarize the difference between iOS & Windows Phone.

iOS start screen = dumb application shortcuts, shallow links to the home page of an app

WP start screen = pinned applications & content. live tiles and deep links in some cases. So a stock symbol will not only open the stock app, but navigate you to the symbol details. What in iOS can do that?

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site

It just got the necessary polishing it needed with WP8. WP7 was the first step, and WP8 is a big leap towards creating a beautiful OS.
And as Paladri said, iOS BADLY needs a new facelift.

If u think the tiles are ugly, then perhaps its not the OS for you. The modern UI has broken the norm, broken out of the clutter, and made something fantastic. And they need an applause for it.

If this is the one area, then it changes everything. Its like saying "I like the ad, but not the headline & the visual."
Duh...

My feedback is that if u don't like the look of the OS, chances are u might not really like anything else. The look is THE most important thing in anything...its the face of the object that's going to be with u.
Its not only a beautiful design, its a benchmark. A case study. Of how people can think outside the proverbial box and bring a fresh concept to life.

Sent from my XT910 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes