Contacts/People Hub Organization

Nightshde

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Well after spending a full day with my L920 I have to say I love the phone and most of the features. The one problem I have is the way the contacts work on the phone. In order to see the contacts at all you have to have a live or hotmail account active and there seems to be no way to filter out unwanted contacts on my phone. For example I have tons of people on my facebook but there are only about 30 that I talk to on a regular basis and the same goes for my hotmail account where I have a bunch of email contacts for job corespondents but don't really need them showing up in my people hub. The only filtering I have found is in the settings but that filter is basically an all or nothing, which I don't consider really filtering.

So far the only solution I have found is to setup a new live/hotmail account just for my contacts which to be honest I really shouldn't have to do. Organization of a contact list is truly a basic feature which seems to have been completely looked over when it comes to the windows phone. Am I the only person that is frustrated by this? I know this is my first windows phone but has it always been this way or just something with WP8.

Last edited:

smf98aggie

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
What if you run your contacts through Gmail? Can you not sync all your contacts through there instead? My 920 should be here Monday or Tuesday, and that's how I sync my contacts. I have a hotmail and MSLive account, but nothing is linked to it. :straight:

Michael Weisberg

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I have a google apps account with a custom domain and sync it with active sync. It has all of my contacts in it and it does a great job. You can go into the people hub and filter the contact list so that only the google contacts show.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Well, you could setup Rooms in WP8. So, everyone will still be listed in the People Hub, but you can filter you contacts into Rooms; like family, close business associates, etc. and follow them in smaller groups. That way you have all the numbers if you need them, but don't need to read Facebook posts from someone you met (and didn't like) in the 3rd grade.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
In wp7 you can set your contacts filter by going to settings->applications->people-> filter my contact list. Is that not there in wp8?

Nightshde

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
In wp7 you can set your contacts filter by going to settings->applications->people-> filter my contact list. Is that not there in wp8?

They do have that but like I said its an all or nothing, I can either have Facebook on or off and the same goes for hotmail and Gmail, I can't select just certain people its like hitting a nail with a sledgehammer. For now I have a separate email setup just for contacts and have them linked to Facebook till I find a way to sort out people.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Here's what I did. I didn't use windows live contacts, so I created a new windows live contact for every facebook and twitter contact that I wanted to be visible (your top 30 so to speak). Then, I linked the facebook and/or twitter contact with the windows live contact. Then, I unselected facebook and twitter "filter my contact list."

You could do the same with google contacts if you are already using windows live contacts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes