Why are Nokia Drive and Maps different apps?

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I was playing with the 920 at the AT&T store for an hour, and was playing with my friend's for a while earlier today. For the life of me, I could not figure out why it's that...if I type in an address in Nokia Maps, it will give me a list of directions, but not an option to start the navigation if I need it. No, I need to go to Nokia Drive to enable that. Doesn't that seem a bit redundant? Unless I'm missing something? I always found it convenient how you could do that in Google Maps.

Total side note, when I was at the mall, City Lens did not even detect any of the food court places. Is there a way to add locations or does it not care for anything in the mall?

sandman

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. I finally got to play with some of the software today and it struck me as odd that Nokia Maps and Drive were 2 different apps. Drive is in beta, so maybe they will merge.

Another interesting note is the maps I downloaded for Drive were available for Maps. WP sandboxes the apps so sharing local data shouldn't be possible. Seems Nokia has some tricks up their sleeves.

txaggies07

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. I finally got to play with some of the software today and it struck me as odd that Nokia Maps and Drive were 2 different apps. Drive is in beta, so maybe they will merge.

Another interesting note is the maps I downloaded for Drive were available for Maps. WP sandboxes the apps so sharing local data shouldn't be possible. Seems Nokia has some tricks up their sleeves.

Sharing of maps was built into WP8.

Also, I saw a demo where you could launch drive from maps. It was a nokia video that was on this site somewhere.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
If you load up Nokia Maps, search for where you want to go then when it finds it tap the location that appears on the map and info about the place comes up. Press get directions then scroll down to where the directions text is and the first thing I see is start navigation from Nokia Drive. From what I can see you have to be in car mode for the option to navigate from Drive.

awesomeplant

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I come from two generations of Samsung Focus and while Nokia Drive seems very promising, I kind of miss my voice-guided navigation in the default MS Maps app that would read road names. Not getting that from Nokia Drive... :/

I also miss her charming screw-ups... like when she told me to take 121 South towards "Feet Worth" (Ft. Worth, TX), or the time she suggested I turn left on "Federated States of Micronesia 407" (FM 407), as if somehow I was suddenly in the South Pacific. A for effort, though.. and adorable :)

cddigi

May 3, 2012
Visit site
I come from two generations of Samsung Focus and while Nokia Drive seems very promising, I kind of miss my voice-guided navigation in the default MS Maps app that would read road names. Not getting that from Nokia Drive... :/

I also miss her charming screw-ups... like when she told me to take 121 South towards "Feet Worth" (Ft. Worth, TX), or the time she suggested I turn left on "Federated States of Micronesia 407" (FM 407), as if somehow I was suddenly in the South Pacific. A for effort, though.. and adorable :)

Nokia Drive does have turn-by-turn directions with spoken street names

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
You can launch Nokia Drive from within Nokia Maps. You get directions in Maps and you can see the route, and there is an option to launch Drive.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
You need to select the right voices:

2zjal46.png

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
If you load up Nokia Maps, search for where you want to go then when it finds it tap the location that appears on the map and info about the place comes up. Press get directions then scroll down to where the directions text is and the first thing I see is start navigation from Nokia Drive. From what I can see you have to be in car mode for the option to navigate from Drive.

Is there a car mode function on the 920 that you are aware of? What I am thinking of is that everything goes into landscape, etc.

Also, is there a way to navigate to an address or location via voice direction? With my droid, I could just hit the search function, the mic, and say "navigate to..." and it would take care of the rest.

In playing around with the maps and nokia drive, I get the message that maps are not available in my country yet. Odd

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Is there a car mode function on the 920 that you are aware of? What I am thinking of is that everything goes into landscape, etc.

If you use Nokia Drive you can - whether you launch it from Maps or just use Drive, when you're navigating and it's giving you turn by turn directions, if you put your phone landscape it will look like pretty much any GPS device does. If you hear 3 beeps it's Drive telling you that you're speeding and you can turn the beeps off :p

Also, is there a way to navigate to an address or location via voice direction? With my droid, I could just hit the search function, the mic, and say "navigate to..." and it would take care of the rest.

It seems that in WP8 you can press down the windows icon in the middle - press and hold it and say "Open <app>" and the app will open. Any voice commands within apps dont seems to be implemented yet but im pretty sure it's possible - we'll have to wait for this I think.

In playing around with the maps and nokia drive, I get the message that maps are not available in my country yet. Odd

Maybe this functionality isn't in your area yet or have you tried to download the maps for your country or is this the message you're talking about?

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
If you use Nokia Drive you can - whether you launch it from Maps or just use Drive, when you're navigating and it's giving you turn by turn directions, if you put your phone landscape it will look like pretty much any GPS device does. If you hear 3 beeps it's Drive telling you that you're speeding and you can turn the beeps off :p

It seems that in WP8 you can press down the windows icon in the middle - press and hold it and say "Open <app>" and the app will open. Any voice commands within apps dont seems to be implemented yet but im pretty sure it's possible - we'll have to wait for this I think.

Maybe this functionality isn't in your area yet or have you tried to download the maps for your country or is this the message you're talking about?
I downloaded the maps afterwards, but i was under the impression that I should have been able to navigate regardless, but that it would cost me some data.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa