HTC 8X battery issue

koen h

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I own a HTC 8X and battery life is not that great:(
Battery is drained after 9 hours without using it (no calls, no surfing only the exchange account checks for new mail every 15 minutes).

There are two thing I have noticed:
Battery drain start a little while after disconnecting the charger.
Battery drain stops after a reboot and starts again after charging.

If there are people with battery issues can they please do this test:
Charge the phone to 100%; disconnect the charger and reboot the phone.
Do not connect the charger or plugin the phone to a USB port and wait to see if battery life is better.

Kind regards,

Koen

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Nokia drive runs down the battery. On a Lumia 920, I get two days of heavy push e-mail from a charge... Or six hours if Nokia Drive is on and running.

I'd try conditioning the 8X battery. Run it down to zero, charge it up, run it down again, etc. In about five days, you should see an improvement. If you're still having issues, take it to the carrier and get a swap-out.

koen h

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Nokia drive runs down the battery. On a Lumia 920, I get two days of heavy push e-mail from a charge... Or six hours if Nokia Drive is on and running.

I'd try conditioning the 8X battery. Run it down to zero, charge it up, run it down again, etc. In about five days, you should see an improvement. If you're still having issues, take it to the carrier and get a swap-out.
I 'll try the conditioning the battery.
Thanks for the suggestion.

aventador779

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm win your 8X is charged, and then you unplug and reboot, what battery percentage does it come to? When you boot it up? My Galaxy Nexus does this weird thing that if I reboot the phone I lose about 10-20% of battery. :lol: (Possibly just gives a more accurate reading)

koen h

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
yes it did. Until the next charge.

After contacting HTC and doing some tests, they advised me to get a replacement.
The device I have now works perfectly so far.
Thumbs up for HTC support.

anon(5402839)

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I have 8X since 20.11.12. First thing I noticed battery drain was so fast. I let the drain battery and full charge it overnight for 3 times nothing has change. I tried everything on this forum also.

And when I use the phone for a little it gets really hot in my hand. Yesterday I let the drain battery with full brightness and played Angry Birds Space the bottom of the phone -capacitive buttons area- get really hot. So phone has turned-off itself and I put back to charge it (wall).

I wanted to see battery level when phone still was attached to charger and it was showing 100% and when I plugged out from charger immedetly charge level drop to 99% and then it continues to drop with every sync, backup and location is off even I switched to 2G network and turned off data connection.

Since 8 o'clock in the morning I just use the phone with Whatsapp over WIFI.

I think there is really something wrong with the software because the screenshot that I attached here is not normal :)

Here is two different screenshots taken in 5 minutes.

I have call the carrier and they already order new one. So I hope I'm not gonna have this problem again.

first-ss.png

second-ss.png

anon(5402839)

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
yes it did. Until the next charge.

After contacting HTC and doing some tests, they advised me to get a replacement.
The device I have now works perfectly so far.
Thumbs up for HTC support.

What kind of tests they wanted you to do? Can you share please? So I can also try.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
There is a long thread in the 8X forum about battery life. There is probably a software glitch where it isn't showing 100% and I would worry about that too much.

As for the battery life I noticed the same thing as the original poster where rebooting the phone dramatically increased the battery life at least when it is on standby.

I have not noticed the phone getting hot at all. I can't imagine using the screen at full brightness were you in the sun or something?

anon(5402839)

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I don't mind if it shows 100% or not. My concern was idle drain. How battery can drain so quickly even if you don't use it right? As you mentioned also it is software related I guess.

No I was just trying to let battery drain (5%) as suggested from other users and it was late. So I can go to sleep. Normally I use medium level brightness all the time.

And I forget to add today was the first time phone get freeze and I had to turn phone off and on again.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I have no idea why the standby battery life is so poor. I have a year old iPhone 4 and overnight it might lose 10% of its charge at the most. My 8X lost 56% overnight in my tests except when rebooting the phone before letting it sit. When I let it sit after rebooting I only lost 15%.

In reality I get a whole day of use out of the phone right now and there are not really too many times I won't be able to charge the phone. But its definitely been a downside to the phone and I hope gets fixed with a software update.

koen h

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I had to check signal strength, cause bad signal can drain battery, i had to do a factory reset and use the phone without any apps installed.
i also had to do a test when the phone was completely charged and let him discharge completely while not using it at all.
after doing the last test, my phone was empty after 8 to 9 hours.
Another strange thing i have noticed: battery drain was less when calling compared to when idle.
after all this tests HTC advised me to get a replacement.
Everything is still fine.
More than 24hours battery life. No reboots. I hope it stays that way.

koen h

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
By the way, bacause of all the problems I had with the battery, I desided to develop a battery tile and logger.
the app is free and will probably be available in the marketplace in a couple of days.
You can activate a logger and mail the log results for further procesing on your computer.

I will post a link to the app when the app is available.

Kind regards,
Koen

anon(5402839)

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
@koen h Great idea waiting for the link. I will get replacement in a couple of days.

@eruptflail I never used both of them. And I switched back to 3G from 2G and turned on data connection. Now the phone is working how its suppose to be work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon