What happened to the group messaging (MMS) option?

slick5150

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I just got my HTC 8X. Got a couple texts from people that were clearly group messages, so I went in to change my settings to turn group messaging back on like I could on WP7, and.... there's no option there anymore.

So now I have texts coming in from multiple people creating separate threads in my messaging app, but no way to reply to everyone involved. What's the deal? Am I missing something or did they actually remove the group messaging MMS feature?

slick5150

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
The only options listed there are:
Test message backup
SMS delivery confirmation
MMS delivery confirmation
Send MMS acknowledgement

Then below there are boxes for:
add mms apn
emergency alerts

(This on a Verizon HTC 8x)

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Definitely different. Here is mine from a Lumia 920 on AT&T. Below that, cut off is the 'add mms apn' button. Do you have MMS enabled on your account? I think that's tied to the data plan. Can you send picture messages and such?

jmmcnaul

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I just picked up a Verizon 8x today as well. The ability to turn on group messaging is not there. My mms works fine otherwise. This is a must have feature.

FrancisMH

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I went to the store to specifically test out this functionality, and a few other things the reviews were unclear on. Group messaging is definitely not in settings and definitely doesn't work. Deal breaker for me if this doesn't get resolved. I get multiple group messages a day and in not going to suddenly not be a part of them.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
There's also no option for delivery confirmation.
As much as I like WP, sure seems they keep some of it dumbed down as possible. Very few options for key MS applications like messaging, email, colors, and browser. I understand the idea of keeping things simple but isn't there such a thing as too simple?
They make it worse by not letting devs create their own version of these apps. The dev community would give us options that MS refuses to.

Agpe17

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I hope WP hasn't replaced group text with "Rooms". Although I COULD POSSIBLY see the appeal, for cross-platform, it isn't a good fix...

I didn't know there was no group text option prior to purchasing my 8x yesterday. I only have one group mms going, so it isn't TOO bad for me, but hopefully we can figure this out!

If one of you have Twitter, send a tweet to @joebelfiore. If you don't know him, he's the head guy for OS at Windows Phone. He answers a lot of people's questions on Twitter.

slick5150

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, this is a must have feature for me. Anyone know if it's present on the Lumia 822 on Verizon? If VZW removed it for some puzzling reason this phone is going back.

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
There's also no option for delivery confirmation.
As much as I like WP, sure seems they keep some of it dumbed down as possible. Very few options for key MS applications like messaging, email, colors, and browser. I understand the idea of keeping things simple but isn't there such a thing as too simple?
They make it worse by not letting devs create their own version of these apps. The dev community would give us options that MS refuses to.

I agree that they dumb some things down but this is clearly a Verizon or HTC issue with the 8X. I'm not sure about the 8X on other carriers but the Lumia 920 still supports group txting just like the WP7 phones before it so this is not a WP7 or WP8 issue.

EDIT: And yes I love the screenshot feature!

Agpe17

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm hoping to get an answer to this...my FIRST text to my 8x was my buddy: "No more iPhone? Can't group text anymore can you?"

Bummer. I invited my two buddies who I group text with into a ROOM, but I don't know if they'll buy it!

Doug Swallow

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Here's the options on my Lumia 920 on AT&T. This is a developer edition phone obtained at the //build/ conference that's unlocked.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20121116_0001.jpg
    wp_ss_20121116_0001.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 12
  • wp_ss_20121116_0002.jpg
    wp_ss_20121116_0002.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 8

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member