How can I retrieve backed-up text messages?

fourbadcats

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
My wife's Lumia 822 lost all of the conversation threads from Messaging. She did NOT check the boxes and delete threads. All threads just disappeared. The Messaging Setting to back up text messages (to SkyDrive or outlook.com?) has been turned on from day one.

So, she's desperate to get the lost messages back but I cannot find them anywhere.

There's nothing on SkyDrive and nothing in her Outlook.com Messaging history.

MS documentation says that you can Restore them when getting a new phone but that's not the case here. We just want to get some information from them -- they don't even need to show up on the phone.Anyone know what the magic incantation is to get at that backed up data?

John

Last edited:

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
i Believe you will have to do a hard reset to get them back, this WILL wipe the ENTIRE phone and then go thru set up again, but it will redownload the txt messages, pain i know but you cannot restore just a single item as of now, its an all or nothing proposition, to do a hard reset go into settings, about phone, scroll to bottom and hit reset phone

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
BEFORE YOU DO THAT - just go for a couple of soft reset cycles!

This has happened to me before. They will reappear

Also check the time zone and clock time - this is the main reason why messages will disappear!

89caps

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes, make sure you are logging in under your microsoft account name and it may take up to 30 minutes to reappear. I had the same thing happen and the text messages didn't appear right away.

Matthew Hass

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
BEFORE YOU DO THAT - just go for a couple of soft reset cycles!

This has happened to me before. They will reappear

Also check the time zone and clock time - this is the main reason why messages will disappear!

I have a similar problem! I just got a new phone of the same EXACT phone because unfortunatley, my phone broke again on Feburary 24th.I want to recover all the text messages I had from that phone on my new HTC Arrive Windows 7 phone, but how do I do soft reset cycles before completely resetting my phone? Once I do this, will it recover all of those old threads and text messages I had on my old phone? Please get back to me asap, thanks!

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I have a similar problem! I just got a new phone of the same EXACT phone because unfortunatley, my phone broke again on Feburary 24th.I want to recover all the text messages I had from that phone on my new HTC Arrive Windows 7 phone, but how do I do soft reset cycles before completely resetting my phone? Once I do this, will it recover all of those old threads and text messages I had on my old phone? Please get back to me asap, thanks!

Hey, I just saw your PM.

You mentioned here, you had HTC Arrive before right? That's a WP7 phone, that doesn't have a back up feature. The SMS on that phone won't transfer to WP8 i.e. Lumia 822 (same phone as OP). I don't think even any soft reset cycles will be able to get you anywhere. There are a few homebrew apps for WP7 that can be installed on an unlocked phone (SMS backup is one of those) but if your Arrive wasn't unlocked, then unfortunately even that won't help. The only way I can think of is, forwarding the most important messages to your WP8 and backing them for future on WP8 back up.

Matthew Hass

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
But if Windowbreak is supposed to work on HTC arrive (since it must be interop unlocked) howcome when I go to the website on my phone it says it doesn't support HTC arrive? That's very confusing. I already verified the certificate on my phone though, but unless ChevronWP7.exe will recognize my phone on my computer or if I can somehow email myself the exe (HIGHLY doubt it) then how will this work? I think I should've done this with my old phone before it was returned but if I backup my new phone then I can avoid this happening in the future though, for the record I do not have WP8 anything though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv-kafqNyZU According to this, I must Windowbreak my phone in order to use SMS backup correct?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes