"APP not available in my region" why did you even start the market place then !!

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
There are indeed regulations in place that make this hard to do, and of course Microsoft would want its Store and apps distributed as widely as possible. It's out of its hands. However, jdhooghe, Microsoft and its partners are clearly prioritising the US Windows Phone variants over global variants. In the case of the 920, I believe there are two models - US/Canada and global - so no, saying Canada was included too is not a valid argument. The updating situation has nothing to do with other countries blocking the updates or anything - remember, the US carriers are the ones terrible at pushing out updates - and everything to do with priorities and focus.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Canada also has geoblocking. Watching US satellite TV in Canada can land you in prison.

Geoblocking is a result of protectionism, and is entirely the doing of national governments.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Canada also has geoblocking. Watching US satellite TV in Canada can land you in prison.

Geoblocking is a result of protectionism, and is entirely the doing of national governments.
Well although in theory that may be true, I can't see some random schlub with a DISH system being carted away in chains. Your second statement is unequivocally true, and ticks me off to no end.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Well although in theory that may be true, I can't see some random schlub with a DISH system being carted away in chains. Your second statement is unequivocally true, and ticks me off to no end.

He'd probably just be fined the first few times, but if a judge decides it's egregious, into the klink with him, to protect Sacred Canadian Culture!

Protectionism generally sucks, in every way. It makes things more expensive, more difficult to attain, and forces people to settle for inferior merchandise at a higher price, to benefit a few connected players who profit from being the de-facto exclusive providers to a captive market.

The US and Canadian airline industry is like this (closed to foreign competition on domestic routes), and the Canadian telecom industry is also like this (resulting in the highest prices, by far, in the G8). As a result, we pay and pay and pay.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
The App store is a MS thing. The problem at MS is that they are being difficult at releasing English only apps in some markets. But given that there are so many languages, MS needs to do just that. Allow the release of English apps into any market. English is the worlds business language, so no reason not to release an app. Should just say... "English only" in the description if such is the case.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, but Canadians know how to run their banks and budget... so they know how to count. Like it or not, there are many different cultures. Some of my best friends are from countries far away... so what? I just accept the fact that they have a different culture. So Canada is Canada and leave it to the Canadians to change things in their home country. Like you also don't like it when ie. the French tell you what to do lol. But when it comes to business, you have to deal with different cultures and insure that your marketing and product mix matches the realities and needs of your market. You don't go sell AC units in Greenland... lol

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm a citizen of both the USA and Canada, and I'll be the first to tell you that most of the Big Differences between the US and Canada are due to French Canada and not English Canada.

And yeah, Canadians pay a high price for the dominon's protectionism. Ottawa closes off the Canadian domestic telecom and other markets to US competition (and lower prices), then reacts with rage when the Americans retaliate with tariffs on lumber. It's all ridiculous politics.

But those apps aren't available in your home market due to that protectionism and ridiculous politics. Thank your local Congressman, Senator, MP, Representative, or Grand Nagus. :winktongue:

Sonnyck

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Sounded too good to be true... Does not seem to work for me (WP 7.8 Nokia Lumia 800)... Just keep getting "This app is not available for your phone..." What country am I supposed to put the blame on again?? :wink:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon