WP8 Skype Live Tile is a train wreck, anyone else?

Hiiiiiiiii

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Installed on my phone, pinned as a live tile and then this happens:

ow4F2.jpg

I get a message on my desktop PC, read, reply, check my Lumia 1 hour later and it shows 60 new messages even though they are old messages.

Why doesn't it understand that I've already read these messages?

Same with Facebook integration on Windows 8, it will keep showing notification even though I already checked them using web browser.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
With Facebook it grabs the data differently. I can read it in the web browser and it will still pop up on my phone. Heck, notifications don't even sync on WP7 Skype that well. Probably something MS will improve on with regards to Skype as they own it now.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
If you just installed the app the messages are new to the phone. The count are the messages in your in box. If the messages are in your in box they show on the tile count until you open the app. This is the same with a new email account as well. It's not a issue it's just the saw it's done on WP. If you just installed the app how is the app supposed to know if you have read the messages?

Also keep in mind these apps are not supposed to be running in the background. All they do is a simple push Notification from the server telling the app that is has received a message. If it was continually connected it would eat batter like crazy.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Its funny how you only noticed that the live tile for Skype is a train wreck. I take it you haven't used Skype beta yet ;)
Keep an eye on your battery :)

TheXFather

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
it's not just for WP my Gf has a galaxy nexus, android 4.0 and it shows updates even tho there r not any on the pc. it's skypes end.
OT: can anybody tell me how to setup the live tile for skype?

StevesBalls

Banned
Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
If you just installed the app the messages are new to the phone. The count are the messages in your in box. If the messages are in your in box they show on the tile count until you open the app. This is the same with a new email account as well. It's not a issue it's just the saw it's done on WP. If you just installed the app how is the app supposed to know if you have read the messages?

Also keep in mind these apps are not supposed to be running in the background. All they do is a simple push Notification from the server telling the app that is has received a message. If it was continually connected it would eat batter like crazy.

That explanation makes no sense whatsoever. That's like saying that when you read an email on your desktop machine, you still want it marked as unread on your phone.

It's just a ****ty Skype implementation, that is all. And they surely will fix it one day, only the question is, when will that be?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
That explanation makes no sense whatsoever. That's like saying that when you read an email on your desktop machine, you still want it marked as unread on your phone.

It's just a ****ty Skype implementation, that is all. And they surely will fix it one day, only the question is, when will that be?

In Windows Phone 9.

TheXFather

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Tap and hold and then pin to start, no?

ya that makes a tile but it's not live it's not updating my msgs or calls from skype, if i sign out from my pc everybody sees me as offline. isn't a live tile supose to update this stuff?

The skype option is set to update but it doesn't seem to work, either that or i'm doing something wrong. also skype is an app right, i mean it's not that acc sync stuff ? Do i need to add my skype acc in settings to?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
ya that makes a tile but it's not live it's not updating my msgs or calls from skype, if i sign out from my pc everybody sees me as offline. isn't a live tile supose to update this stuff?

The skype option is set to update but it doesn't seem to work, either that or i'm doing something wrong. also skype is an app right, i mean it's not that acc sync stuff ? Do i need to add my skype acc in settings to?

Nah, it's an app. It doesn't sync accounts. That was removed in the current update because it messed up phonebook. They are going to fix and add it in future.
Any tile you pin generally turns in to a live tile when you have a notification or two. So in an ideal world it should show you "1" on your Skype tile for a missed call or IM. However, this is a beta version of Skype. So I won't be surprised if some of us have it working, some of us have it temperamental and the rest just don't have it. For instance, when I used Skype, it did nothing. I always appeared offline to everyone unless I had the app open. So I just uninstalled it. It drains battery for me, probably trying to stay online but miserably failing at every attempt.

TheXFather

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
ya it does the same to me i'm offline with it and never get ims or calls unless i have it running in the backround! well let's hope a re-install fixes it.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Even if it's in beta, feedback gotta go somewhere and why not here where it can be discussed further? Granted people have to realize that if it is beta, the issue should be addressed differently, rather than a complaint about why it's not working properly.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Even if it's in beta, feedback gotta go somewhere and why not here where it can be discussed further? Granted people have to realize that if it is beta, the issue should be addressed differently, rather than a complaint about why it's not working properly.

imo, it shouldn't have to be beta for 3 months since launch! This was the least they could do - bring those 46 of 50 apps, games and showcased apps to the OS around Christmas! One thing Microsoft has done for past 2 years and now is, real slow progress. They are actually exploiting the word marathon to it's very core!

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
imo, it shouldn't have to be beta for 3 months since launch! This was the least they could do - bring those 46 of 50 apps, games and showcased apps to the OS around Christmas! One thing Microsoft has done for past 2 years and now is, real slow progress. They are actually exploiting the word marathon to it's very core!

yea no one disputes that I think but what's happening is what it is now.... so we can't dwell on what was not done to our liking can we?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Well, if you can do a better job , by all means.. Go right ahead.

StevesBalls

Banned
Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Well, if you can do a better job , by all means.. Go right ahead.

So what, he should just shut up and move along, just because he is not a multi-billion corporation? I don't understand, what's the point of your reply? Are you just being a dick or do you work for Microsoft? Because those two are the only explanation for your ridiculous comments.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So what, he should just shut up and move along, just because he is not a multi-billion corporation? I don't understand, what's the point of your reply? Are you just being a dick or do you work for Microsoft? Because those two are the only explanation for your ridiculous comments.

Yes, he should. There are some things you just cannot control. This is one of them.

No amount of petitions/posts/threads/complaints will fix Skype. So why do we need to keep beating this dead horse. When Microsoft/Skype is ready, they will fix it. And I repeat, if he can do a better job, then by all means go ahead. I do not think Microsoft/Skype is saying "Hey look at how crappy Skype is. Lets all sit back and laugh at them". I'm pretty sure they are working as hard as they can on this.

Do you think that ALL they have to see about Skype??

You people need to get out of the bubble you are living it. Say Thank you and appreciate what they have provided so far.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes