Install Apps while low on storage space (using SD)

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I need people to confirm this for me. Reply and let me know if this worked for you, reporting your free space before, during, and after the install. Since free space does not update, you have to keep opening and closing the details page for free space in the storage settings.

I believe that putting a XAP (freely downloadable from the windows phone store website) onto your SD card and installing *from* the SD card is more efficient. This might help people install large games, especially if they have an issue with a large "Other" taking up space.

I have 264MB of free space left on my 820. If I try to go install Final Fantasy (92MB) it won't let me: it says I'm out of space. However, if I install it from the SD card, it just installs!

However, you still need enough space for the extracted XAP. I kept checking the free space as it was installing, and it went as low as 50MB before jumping back up to 120MB.

Going by that, it seems you need roughly 2.4x the size of the app in free space in order to install it. I'm fairly sure the XAP is *not* copied into local storage, which it would be if you were downloading from the store. This is because I could not install asphalt 7 from the store when I had OVER 3GB free, which is over 3x the size of the xap itself (maybe even 4x!). Of course, I don't know if my findings scale up and I'm not keen on uninstalling asphalt 7 only to find that I can't install it again.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

dickiewongtk

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Same issue here... have over 3GB free internal space, still can't install Asphalt 7 from the store. Wondering why. Trying to install in fromSD card now...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes