Something is stealing my data.

Zerveone

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey Guys,
I have a severe problem with my Nokia Lumia 800. After the 7.8 update, or let's say after some time with it, my Lumia started to eat through my data plan. It managed to go through 500 mbs of free data in one week. I'm terrified.
What's worse - it doesn't show up on Nokia Counters app, but my provider website states, my data is used the most just when i wake up and turn on my data usage (i disable it overnight to conserve battery life). It's about 30 to 90 mbs of raw data just after i enable data usage. After i do this i do not enter any app, i just leave the phone so it can get the weather data (Amazing Weather). That's the only live tile using internet connection i can think of, present on my start screen. I'm not counting in WPCentral as I observed it doesn't refresh - probably a bug.
Background tasks enabled are - Amazing weather, CleverToDo (no sync with Skydrive configured), Weather Master (forgot to shut it off when i switched to AW), Nokia Drive, Nokia Counters app, Timer, WPCentral.
My Counters app states that i used 64 mbs of data but my whole plan disappeared and it started to feed my account money.
Anyone encountered similar problems? For starters i've shut off most of my background tasks - what's left: Amazing Weather, CleverToDo, Timer. Thing that makes it werid is that my Nokia Counters app doesn't catch that data leaking. Is that a Software flaw?
I would really like to avoid factory settings reset.

Zerveone

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes, i have the latest firmware you've mentioned.
I forgot to mention that i tried rebooting the phone and nothing have changed.

twowetsocks

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've experienced the same problem. I have a Lumia 920 and usually use less than 3 Gb. Last month I used 11 gb. I've been turning off my data lately cause I'm not sur what else to do. AccuWeather, battery level for wp8, and wpcentral apps are allowed to work in the background. I'm going to turn thoughs off but besides that I dont know what to do.

Olerius

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Until you figure out the cause, keep your WiFi turned on (and paired with work/home/school networks). At least you can mitigate how much data is leached off your mobile plan for a trivial loss in battery life.

devlam

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Also have this problem in my first week I have 3G. Os system 8.0.10211.204
My provider doesn't give me information about the usage. Auto connect to wifi. Only auto synchronize chronos, mail, whatsapp when I'm on 3G.
Did once browse to a site. Totally los in one week 250 Mb.

Only this week i found that there is no data usage manager in the store. Does anyone know why? I should say this is basic functionality...

Zerveone

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Okay, after some extensive testing i can't say much to make things clear.
I had all the live tiles removed + blocked all background tasks (excluding Clever To Do and Nokia Counters) for one day, after that i enabled every app one by one and pinned those, which i use to the start screen. I did that with intervals of few days for each app, checking if i was loosing any data, with no luck. I haven't found the source of the problem but it disappeared. Now i'm back with most apps pinned + enabled in the background and no heavy data loss was recorded.
I hope this knowledge may help anyone - just try to unpin everything, block all background tasks, give it a day with a phone restart and try again.

HNNNNNGHHH

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
You can certainly tell which application is the culprit, especially when its corresponding live tile starts to flicker erratically.

With my experience, the solution may be a quick unpin and repin process or you may have to restart the phone. I've seen some users who had resorted to a hard reset in order to solve this issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb