04-06-2013 06:00 AM
200 1234 ...
tools
    At this point in time MS wants to build,up their appbase, and then expand it. I would think by having these restrictions in place devs aren't gonna be excited to push out good stuff sooner. Just a thought!
    03-29-2013 02:39 PM
    At this point in time MS wants to build,up their appbase, and then expand it. I would think by having these restrictions in place devs are,gonna be excited to push out good stuff sooner. Just a thought!
    Does it mean that MS wants to play by devs wishes until WP becomes bigger and then take everything under their hands ?

That's exactly what Google did and Now Samsung is dancing on them.

In S4 keynote , there is no mention of google at all and Playstore became a junk but improving little after google made guidelines and started being somewhat restrictive.
    03-29-2013 02:44 PM
    Microsoft approves these apps don't they? It's simple. Don't approve apps that have these pointless limitations that make them unusable on the majority of Windows Phones.
    Really? What is pointless? My app my requirements. I sell a piece of software and as long as I don't violate a set of rules I can require any kind of requirements. MS is not police when it comes to apps requirements. Google approves everything just like MS. I believed we all trust open markets where consumers decide what is best for them or not. Approving apps that do not violate accepted rules is one thing taking down apps because you or a number of people believe that an app should be made this way or that way is different. You can always punish the developer by refusing to use it's services or software. From my point those who needlessly do not support low end devices just screw themselves up and makes it possible for competition to provide better products. MS is tied by a set of published rules describing when an app gets rejected. Who are we to judge a piece os software requirements. Don't like don't agree don't buy or use. You as customer you have the ultimate decision. But be fair and responsible don't throw the blame where it is not due
    03-29-2013 02:44 PM
    If you just considered temple run. The app was available to download, live tile "dead", game was glitchy, people reported white game background when the the phone theme was,set to "light" , so all this explains why imangi and MS just to get that game in the store. P.s.The live tile issue has been fixed.
    03-29-2013 02:46 PM
    Even though Appstore is curated , This is one of the reasons for Apple's success in bringing it to the level it is today.

They reject lot of apps which consume unnecessary info and make junk out of the device.
    Exactly. Microsoft needs to take initiative NOW or risk becoming the Play Store.
    03-29-2013 02:48 PM
    Exactly. Microsoft needs to take initiative NOW or risk becoming the Play Store.
    I completely agree. But what can they do when people are blaming them for lack of apps or lack of investment in the platform. I was pissed off when MS allowed whatsap to be in the store. That ugly hack to use background audio streaming that to support fast app resume I presume is plain stupid. But how would people react when MS banish a popular app like whatsapp? This audio hack is used on iphone too and Apple is missing some apps that use this trick and can be found in store.

As for live tile not working in temple run case. This is not something that MS can impose. If I want my live tile to just display nothing MS can't force me to use the live tile like you or they want they need to be fair. As customers there is the review for an app. Review it fairly and this way you can show your approval or disapproval with an app or game.
    03-29-2013 02:54 PM
    I completely agree. But what can they do when people are blaming them for lack of apps or lack of investment in the platform. I was pissed off when MS allowed whatsap to be in the store. That ugly hack to use background audio streaming that to support fast app resume I presume is plain stupid. But how would people react when MS banish a popular app like whatsapp? This audio hack is used on iphone too and Apple is missing some apps that use this trick and can be found in store.

As for live tile not working in temple run case. This is not something that MS can impose. If I want my live tile to just display nothing MS can't force me to use the live tile like you or they want they need to be fair. As customers there is the review for an app. Review it fairly and this way you can show your approval or disapproval with an app or game.
    I never blamed MS for,that. My point was imangi might have missed running some tests on,the games coz they just wanted the game online sooner. Certain issues do get slipped through the cracks, and no ones to blame. 😊
    03-29-2013 02:58 PM
    I never blamed MS for,that. My point was imangi might have missed running some tests on,the games coz they just wanted the game online sooner. Certain issues do get slipped through the cracks, and no ones to blame. ��
    When we speak of these issues , Ultimately its nobody's fault.

But it would be nice that MS closely starts working with devs rather than throwing off some money and asking them to make apps.

But MS should definitely maintain Apple's Appstore like maintainance to filter out junk and bloated apps.
    rbxtreme likes this.
    03-29-2013 03:01 PM
    When we speak of these issues , Ultimately its nobody's fault.

But it would be nice that MS closely starts working with devs rather than throwing off some money and asking them to make apps.

But MS should definitely maintain Apple's Appstore like maintainance to filter out junk and bloated apps.
    +1
    Sanjay Chandra likes this.
    03-29-2013 03:04 PM
    Are you really defending an internet radio's app for requiring 1GB of RAM? Some apps legitimately need more memory, but Now Tune In? I'd expect any phone made since the 1st iPhone to be able to steam music.
    jwdaigle likes this.
    03-29-2013 03:12 PM
    Are you really defending an internet radio's app for requiring 1GB of RAM? Some apps legitimately need more memory, but Now Tune In? I'd expect any phone made since the 1st iPhone to be able to steam music.
    Nope. I personally and maybe subjectively defend MS in this instance. I can't imagine why the app needs 1GB requirements. It may even be a misuse of capabilities that slipped. it may be marketing(targeting people with higher-end phones because presumably they have more money). But if you don't agree with them because of this requirements give them low rating and don't use their product. You have choice as consumer and also you have power to punish apps by means of reviews.
    03-29-2013 03:16 PM
    I'm feeling good to see the second page is more discussion instead of people insulting each other in the first page.

in my opinion, Imangi Studios just ported the game with the least effort because they didn't think the Windows Phone base worth the more effort they need to make the app efficient enough to run on 512 devices.

But, the long term problem would be like this: I have an 820/920, and I showed my friend the beautiful UI of Windows Phone, and the availability of some popular apps, which I showed Temple Run. So, he/she rushed to a Nokia store to get the latest Lumia, which is the 520 and 720. You know the rest. He/she won't buy any Windows Phone again, because he/she was 'lied' by Windows Phone, or worse, I'm no longer his/her friend. Nobody to blame for this.

I think, Microsoft should brand devices with "Windows Phone 8" for 1GB and "Windows Phone 8 Basic" for 512MB (remember the Vista Basic days?). people wont be disappointed when they get less with their 512 devices.
    03-29-2013 03:19 PM
    Apps would certainly run on the 512 but with some code being tuned for performance which comes,with a cost=time. So I'm,sure MS would not desert the 512's. This was how it was in Dec last year when I got the 920, great device no quality apps to tale advantage of. Now I feel its,become a tad better for the 1 gigers so the 512 will,have their good,days soon.
    03-29-2013 03:30 PM
    I'm feeling good to see the second page is more discussion instead of people insulting each other in the first page.

in my opinion, Imangi Studios just ported the game with the least effort because they didn't think the Windows Phone base worth the more effort they need to make the app efficient enough to run on 512 devices.

But, the long term problem would be like this: I have an 820/920, and I showed my friend the beautiful UI of Windows Phone, and the availability of some popular apps, which I showed Temple Run. So, he/she rushed to a Nokia store to get the latest Lumia, which is the 520 and 720. You know the rest. He/she won't buy any Windows Phone again, because he/she was 'lied' by Windows Phone, or worse, I'm no longer his/her friend. Nobody to blame for this.

I think, Microsoft should brand devices with "Windows Phone 8" for 1GB and "Windows Phone 8 Basic" for 512MB (remember the Vista Basic days?). people wont be disappointed when they get less with their 512 devices.
    Android phones do not use such branding and they are fine. I see your point but I see the situation like this. They made a 1gb version. They can now measure impact on wp8 users. And then see if it is economically viable to make the version for 512 versions. I strongly believe that in the case of temple run they will recompile their assets and make a 512mb version of the game. It's clearly the game still needs some polishing and that it was not fully tested.

I'm not in the situation to complain about the game not being 512 mb ready. So I really don't care but I believe that those people who have 512mb phones should get in touch with the game developer and state their case and the desire to play the game on their devices.
    03-29-2013 03:30 PM
    Apps would certainly run on the 512 but with some code being tuned for performance which comes,with a cost=time. So I'm,sure MS would not desert the 512's. This was how it was in Dec last year when I got the 920, great device no quality apps to tale advantage of. Now I feel its,become a tad better for the 1 gigers so the 512 will,have their good,days soon.
    Well, I have to say I am with the "1GB RAM Requirement is stupid" set. And I gotta be honest, I think this is MS's fault (and truth be told I am borderline MS fanboy). They are on a VERY slippery slope with this fragmentation of 512 versus 1GB.
    We need to keep in mind it was just recently all those 800/900 etc phone owners were told "sorry, no future for you" a short time (6-9 months was it?) after buying their "high end" phones. This stung a lot of people pretty badly (and dont even get me started about WP7.8 being lip service).
    That sting still hurts, and now it appears the MS ecosystem is about to do it again? Whoops, you just bought a 720 (not even purchasable yet!), and you are screwed cuz many apps wont run on it - stupid you.
    If this trend continues with more and more apps, it will be painful for MS I think.
    Why do I think this is MS fault? Because they should have known that 512 phones wouldnt last long, and should have required 1GB. Is the cost difference in a phone that big?
    For what its worth, I also blame Nokia to an extent - low cost is good, but selling phones that are short term dead ends (again, if this trend continues) is a disservice to the platform. Most people that buy phones don't know what the diff is until they realize they cant get certain apps.

And to those that will flame me for stating my thoughts, please look back one page :-)
    03-29-2013 07:16 PM
    I have to admit I was surprised by this. I expected not to be able to play heavy 3D games on my lumia 620, it's a low end phone (for wp8h, but I didn't expect media apps to be falling into the 1gb category at all. Makes me nervous about updating anything!
    03-29-2013 07:37 PM
    Again MS is not producing the fragmentation. Laziness and blindly porting is. Consumers should stop blaming MS and redirect their anger towards apps publisher. If they voice their anger their force them to better support their ecosystem. ios has multiple resolutions and specifications too. But no developer would there to be sloppy because of wrath from the consumers. Here he have a different mentality. We blame MS and Nokia or HTC but mostly MS. So the apps publisher get a free ride. Demand better software from the publisher use the review to make fair assessments and in the end provided that people also speak with their wallets not just using words you will get premium support because it will be worth while. MS made a good OS set in stone some range of specification to prevent as best as possible the fragmentation. You consumers demand better software from publishers. And everyone will be happy in this ecosystem
    03-29-2013 07:56 PM
    Agreed that publishers should be beaten into submission, which is a tactical after the fact move IMO, but this should have been something MS (and Nokia) should have strategically seen coming.
    I have a real problem with how the WP ecosystem is evolving - gotta buy a new phone every 6 months? Is WP == Apple (just one reason I dislike the fruit soooo much)
    Luckily I was worried about this memory issue (I saw what happened to the 256MB WP7s) and went for the 820.

By the way, LOVE the phone. Like it so much better than my Galaxy S2 Jellybean was...
    03-29-2013 08:32 PM
    MS makes OSs and development tools. They build ecosystems like Azure for cloud computing, desktop os for enterprise needs(along with server edition for the control), good tools and apis and smartphone solutions(with an integrated LOB = line of business hub for enterprise security enhancements and special needs) office suites that can accept addons to augment it's operations and consoles that also support indie game publishing. But they are a corporation. They are used to think that if they provide a good ecosystem then 3rd party developers will take advantage of the ecosystem(it's ease of use, its development tools) and provide quality software because in the end that is what 3rd party are selling software and software services.

In reality the big player android come with a different mentality. Its on purpose delay for a paid market place practically forcing developers to monetize their apps through google advertising solutions created the mentality that apps should cost nothing or just a penny and should be adds supported. Now android (not Samsung phones not htc phones) but android in totality has 70% of market share. And the android user mentality is still that apps should be free. So who cares about the quality of the software you provide you need to have your app running on as many smartphone as possible to be able to serve adds and make some profits.

This decline in quality affects all smartphone users. Nowadays smartphone users avoid to browse and demand apps for the services they use. Free apps. This means you don't get web traffic you can't serve web adds you need to data mine the users. Another step towards the decline in quality.

But android users don't care at all about this situation. In the wp ecosystem you have the try solution so it's easier to convince people to buy your app by providing a demo. You can sell again your software because you can showcase your work and then if your app is good get paid for it. This means the wp users have a more powerful voice in their standing with the software publisher. If all users would stop blaming MS because lazy developers don't provide quality apps and stop blaming OEMs for the update complications(some times that is all carriers fault but you can't sell those smartphones without carriers) and put pressure on 3rd party developers then the ecosystem will balance itself. Publishers will not get free pass because users love to blame MS they will invest in quality apps and will get paid and make profit again.

Apps takes month to nurture so be patient and demand apps not to MS but to those that are selling the respective piece of software or service.
    despertador likes this.
    03-29-2013 08:52 PM
    My first post on this lovely forum ... till now a symbian s 60 user, now wanting to shift to a smartphone ... found nokia lumia 720 and been following news and views about it for the past 3 weeks .. though not an avid gamer and app freak but this memory issues is causing troubles in the decision making ... had nokia used 1 gb ram then 720 wud have been the apple of the eye of everyone ...
    03-30-2013 01:49 AM
    you pplz are missing the point...Lumias 520, 620 and 720 are aimed to be cheap devices for emerging markets, newcomers or pplz who can't afford a more expensive model...
    now you, as a consumer, should know cheaper devices can't run everything like a high-end, specially games! so it's your choice to buy the cheap one or to save more money and go for a high-end, which will run everything...
    i don't believe for one second cheap droids runs everything as smooth as a high-end droid, they do lag a lot...we should consider ourselves lucky WP runs smooth even in cheap devices!
    for example, Galaxy Ace 2 is on the same level as Lumia 620 (even cheaper i guess), it has slightly more ram (768Mb i believe) still some reviews says Android and apps get laggy at times!

it's also all about the consumer knowing about the product he is buying...i for once did a lot of research before buying my Lumia 620 and i never expected it to run heavy games for example...every app i got so far runs perfectly fine btw

and just repeating what a lot of pplz are saying, go bother Imangi Studios for a 512Mb version, show them we, owners of cheaper devices, also want the game!
    03-30-2013 02:21 AM
    Sometimes devs are a bit lazy to optimize their stuff to run well on the 512MB RAM devices.
    03-30-2013 02:29 AM
    I have a real problem with how the WP ecosystem is evolving - gotta buy a new phone every 6 months? Is WP == Apple (just one reason I dislike the fruit soooo much)
    Luckily I was worried about this memory issue (I saw what happened to the 256MB WP7s) and went for the 820.
    If you're trying to imply that you need to buy a new iPhone every 6 month then let me tell you that an iPhone 4S released in October 2011 runs all apps that iPhone 5 can and is even on the same iOS version. Is that the same for Windows Phone?
    03-30-2013 02:55 AM
    If you're trying to imply that you need to buy a new iPhone every 6 month then let me tell you that an iPhone 4S released in October 2011 runs all apps that iPhone 5 can and is even on the same iOS version. Is that the same for Windows Phone?
    Even iPhone 3GS plays all games (low textures) but they run smooth as butter.Even asphalt 7 runs on it and it got iOS 6 update (only few features have been on 3GS while 4S/5 got all features of it but still if an app needs iOS 6 API's , 3GS has capability to run it.

But iPad 1 and 4th gen iPod are having great displays which make each app to take up more RAM and apps crash (only big graphical apps) but remaining apps run amazingly well (while switching apps , reload happens cuz of low RAM)
    03-30-2013 04:22 AM
    Now Tune In also needs 1 GB RAM ? This is getting ridiculous.

My iPod Touch 4th gen can handle every game fine with 256 MB RAM and is able to play any game on the appstore smoothly apart from one or two.

How come WP apps/games need that much of RAM ?

I am a Lumia 820 user but it concerns me about 620,720,8S users as well as WP8 platform.

One of the strong reasons for Android to gain up marketshare quick was low priced phones and mid ranged phones standing as a backbone to reach every part of the world and every consumer but with these high ram requirements , I don't see WP8 platform moving fast as we all expect it to move.These small Apps like temple run or angry birds or subway surfers play a major role.
    TuneIn doesn't need 1GB of ram as evidenced by the Nokia version not needing it, it's only the non-Nokia version that has recently had the details changed.
    03-30-2013 04:42 AM
200 1234 ...