I recently got a new wp8 phone lumia 820. I have a couple of issues, I checked I haven't received the portico release in my country (Malaysia) yet

1) wifi turns off when screen turns off. So now I initiate the chat, no body else can find me intermittently.
    2) Even with data on, the facebook messenger inbuilt into messaging goes "can't connect to messenger" but becomes ok after a restart.
    3) Even with signals and H symbol, a lot of apps (like store) can't connect to internet sometimes. I either restart. I don't understand, why do I see an H if I can't connect.
    Normally in all android versions I have used, they would change from H to 3G to E and so on.
    4) Even with signals and H symbol, the chat (I am using talk.to) repeatedly signs me out and signs me in. there is no steady connectivity.
    chat is one of the key feature why I would like to keep a data plan. otherwise, I don't see the point.
    5) the english speech(India) doesn't allow to text someone. The english speech(US) allows to send text to someone but very difficult to dictate a message.
    other things are ok, UI is excellent. but without connectivity, I don't know how I will survive.
    04-02-2013 04:07 AM
    1) did you check settings->wifi->advanced options?

Edit: You need portico update to keep wifi on.
    Last edited by francisco velasquez; 04-02-2013 at 04:24 AM.
    04-02-2013 04:12 AM
    Yeah there are many problem with nokia lumia one of them is notification issue for me,lumia don't give the light/LED notification ,but you can see all sort of Notifications on the lock screen.
    04-02-2013 05:43 AM
    Yeah there are many problem with nokia lumia one of them is notification issue for me,lumia don't give the light/LED notification ,but you can see all sort of Notifications on the lock screen.
    If you do a search on the forums, you'll see this issue has been beaten to death. It's probably one of the most requested features from Microsoft for a future update. If the rumors are true, Microsoft will address this with some kinda notification center. Will this include a blinking LED as in BlackBerry style? Let's wait and see.
    04-02-2013 06:41 AM
    I recently got a new wp8 phone lumia 820. I have a couple of issues, I checked I haven't received the portico release in my country (Malaysia) yet

1) wifi turns off when screen turns off. So now I initiate the chat, no body else can find me intermittently.
    Settings > WiFi/WLAN > Advanced > Keep WiFi/WLAN on when screen timeout (only in Portico)
    2) Even with data on, the facebook messenger inbuilt into messaging goes "can't connect to messenger" but becomes ok after a restart.
    I disabled this and use talk.to instead. For more reliable Facebook messaging experience, pin the messaging tile of the official Facebook app (no tile notification)
    3) Even with signals and H symbol, a lot of apps (like store) can't connect to internet sometimes. I either restart. I don't understand, why do I see an H if I can't connect.
    Normally in all android versions I have used, they would change from H to 3G to E and so on.
    My Nokia 820 refreshes the signal every 3 seconds (configurable via secret number hack), so there might be E when you see H. This happens in my Nokia 820 too (Indonesia), I think there's a problem with the 820 antenna, because the same SIM card works just fine in my Samsung Nexus S
    4) Even with signals and H symbol, the chat (I am using talk.to) repeatedly signs me out and signs me in. there is no steady connectivity
    chat is one of the key feature why I would like to keep a data plan. otherwise, I don't see the point..
    When you finish using the talk.to, make sure you press Start button instead of back button to get back to your start screen. Pressing the back button until the app disappear will kill the app.
    5) the english speech(India) doesn't allow to text someone. The english speech(US) allows to send text to someone but very difficult to dictate a message.
    Hmm.. try another English, it might help :D
    04-02-2013 07:06 AM
    My Nokia 820 refreshes the signal every 3 seconds (configurable via secret number hack), so there might be E when you see H. This happens in my Nokia 820 too (Indonesia), I think there's a problem with the 820 antenna, because the same SIM card works just fine in my Samsung Nexus S
    can you please share the secret number hack?
    I know, I just recently changed from an htc one s and online experience has totally deteriorated.
    there is this insecurity :-) that I am not online all the time.
    04-02-2013 09:40 PM
    I never have a WP8 phone, it hears terrible.
    04-03-2013 04:20 AM
    I never have a WP8 phone, it hears terrible.
    Well you've heard wrong! It's not perfect but it is really good .
    04-03-2013 01:21 PM