04-07-2013 03:03 PM
57 123
tools
    Oh man...decisions decisions.

The funny thing is that I have NEVER gone to the iPhone Apple forums. Once I found this site, I have been on it several times a day. But this is what I do. When I am interested in something, I research the heck out of it. usually, the decisions I make are pretty clear cut, but in this case, I am seriously having a hard time making up my mind.

Both phones look appealing to me. The 8x just looks fantastic (especially the blue) and I like the coating the 8x has. I like the Nokia apps that are on the 920 (AT&T) and screen resolution. I also like the fact that Nokia is trying support their phones (from what I have read here). I know I would be happy with either, but one of the things that I hate is making a decision, then really resenting my decision and then wanting the one I didn't choose. My wife still makes fun of me when I talk about my WP7 debacle.

I am soooo torn!
    I can almost guarantee that you'll regret buying the 8x if you go that route. There is literally no advantage that phone has over the 920...not one.
    04-04-2013 07:54 PM
    920: game, set & match.
    FinancialP likes this.
    04-04-2013 08:07 PM
    920 owner. I like the weight of the 920 but it is just a tad wider than optimal for my hands. I'd take a Nokia in the 8x form factor with the 920 weight ideally. I'm finding the Nokia maps and drive to be very solid. Better than the Bing equivalent in WP7. I have some dust but the battery has been strong and easily making it through a day for me. I believe I have some of the recent connectivity issues but not consistently more than what I experienced on my HTC HD7.

I went with Nokia because of the brand and their support of WP. Truth be told though it took the free L920 offer from MS store to get me on WP8. I'm glad I made the jump, but I'm still surprised how modern and fully functional WP 7.5 continued to be. Pity TMo didn't see fit to take us to 7.8.
    04-04-2013 08:53 PM
    More tally marks for the 920 it looks like. I have an upgrade that I can use right now (5 iPhones in my family) and another in October I believe. My daughter wants the Samsun Galaxy S3 so I think she will be getting one of the upgrades.

It looks as though my mind has been made up and I will go with the 920 without hesitation. However, my next problem is should I wait for the next upgrade (October), and see if a new Lumia is announced for ATT, or should I jump in now? Does anyonbe know of anything in the works from Nokia regarding the next level of the 920 coming up for ATT?
    04-04-2013 10:51 PM
    920: game, set & match.
    Like the confidence....and I love the avatar.
    04-04-2013 10:51 PM
    Same problem but now what's holding me back is the battery life. The 5 gives me a day and a half or two consistently. The 920 looks like it's having battery issues initially. I hope people would give me more opinions about the battery life since that's the only thing holding me back.

I am also going to WPCentral more than I do on other Apple forums so I pay my iPhone dust and Windows Phone more interest so I'm sure I WANT a 920 but the battery life is a major hold back for me.
    Battery will last a day and a half with normal usage.
    Obviously if you stream video not stop you will only get a few hrs.
    Since I learned the little tricks to extend battery life I have not had a problem. There are plenty of threads on the battery which you can look through to get more info, but here is a view of percentage per hour on my 920. I would say I am a moderate user.. average music, browsing, video during the day.

wp_ss_20130405_0002.png
    04-05-2013 08:24 AM
    seriously speaking ......................the 8x is just beautiful on the outside and crappy on the inside, no offence to 8x users..
    04-05-2013 08:55 AM
    Love this thread...very good information!

I was all ramped up to get a Windows phone late last year, but I wasn't too happy with the choices from Verizon, which I'd have to use in my area due to coverage. I loved the 920, but I just couldn't switch to AT&T, so I decided to just wait it out.

I have been using an older Android phone on my regional carrier, and it really had turned me off towards Android. No updates to the latest software, glitchy performance and other issues, so I was all aboard for a good Windows phone.

During this waiting period, I was given an iPad at work. I already had an older iPod touch (2nd gen), and I'm pretty familiar with all of the Apple stuff, but I had pretty much decided on a windows phone, with an Apple device running third behind maybe another Android....but...this iPad has put a little doubt back in my mind. The thing that has frustrated me with my Android phone is just how bad the performance can be, and how convoluted it can be to do certain things that should be easy.

Since messing around with this iPad, the Apple stuff has gained a little good grace from me again. Pretty much all of my friends have iPhones, and basically, they just work how they should. And since getting the iPad and seeing how easily everything within that ecosystem behaves with each other, it really is awfully tempting to give them another look, especially if they do something to make iOS 7 look better and add a camera that is as good as the 920. The iMessage feature, for one, is just awfully handy.

On the other hand, another feature that has really impressed me, the quality of the apps on the iPad, is one that I have to remember is largely as enjoyable as it is BECAUSE it is on the iPad...on a phone, the apps I'll want/need/use will be much different.

I'm also a Gmail and Google Plus user, and I was blown away by how impressive those apps are on the iPad. And there's a rumor of Google Now making its way on to the Apple devices soon, living inside the Google search app, which is pretty slick itself.

I know by moving to a Windows phone, i'm NEVER going to get any Google developed apps for my device, which is something that kind of stinks, but I think i could live with. I feel like I can find ways to work around this issue, using the iPad to fill in the gaps.

Anyway, those are just a few of my thoughts on it, and I'm loving the information that is being shared in this thread. It certainly helps people who are thinking about switching make a much more informed decision!
    Par_T likes this.
    04-05-2013 09:21 AM
    well if you are choosing HTC 8x just because of the looks, then you have to know that the soft coating picks up dust real easily and it can be stained by your clothing, especially black, in a few weeks according to various reports I read on the 8X forum. also, the new 1280x720 resolution of the 8X may be at odds with legacy and new apps support.

as for your daughter's upgrade, why aren't u getting her a Galaxy S4? :P

as for AT&T, the 920 will be its flagship till May
    04-05-2013 01:49 PM
    There is such a great amount of info being passed along, and I LOVE it.

I was actually talking to my wife, wifes friend, and owners of the company I work for when I mentioned the WP8 phone. My wifes friend said that she knows a girl who hates it because of some glitches she has been getting. I dont know what WP she has (7.8, 7, 8) or what phone she has and I don't know all the glitches she has, but the main one that was listed was that this womans phone randomly reboots. Kind of scared me when I heard this, and I am already aware of some of the "glitches" that are happening...

Then the owner chimed in and said she wont allow a Windows phone as her employee (she pays for my phone bill, but not my phone. She is a total Apple soldier and I was having a hard time figuring out if she was joking or serious. I am leaning that she was serious).
    04-05-2013 02:27 PM
    Maps-Nokia maps-fully offline
    Gmail&Hotmail work great-maybe Gmail contacts and calendar will not work in future. Works perfect as of today
    Camera and photos are very good
    Multiple good weather apps
    iTunes conversions is possible, since February it's been raining apps in apps store .. Never been this good
    All remaining apps you use are available
    04-05-2013 02:51 PM
    I got the 8x about a month ago and had to switch to the Lumia 920 for three reasons. Reason the first: despite it having great speakers for music with beats audio, the speaker phone is garbage, I can't hear the person and they can't hear me..at all. Reason the second: the camera is mediocre at best and with the Lumia 920 one of the best why sacrifice. Last reason, the storage issue is a real issue in wp8 and with 16gb on the 8x there is max 16gb and with the "other" storage fiasco still ongoing it takes a substantial part of that. The one and only reason I initially opted for the 8x was because of its dimensions compared to the 920, but it quickly got outweighed by the benefits. A lot of people also talk about the native Nokia apps, I don't really care so much about that aspect so I'll disregard that.
    Last edited by shpepin; 04-05-2013 at 06:25 PM.
    04-05-2013 02:59 PM
    well if you are choosing HTC 8x just because of the looks, then you have to know that the soft coating picks up dust real easily and it can be stained by your clothing, especially black, in a few weeks according to various reports I read on the 8X forum. also, the new 1280x720 resolution of the 8X may be at odds with legacy and new apps support.

as for your daughter's upgrade, why aren't u getting her a Galaxy S4? :P

as for AT&T, the 920 will be its flagship till May
    My daughter said she wanted the S3, but I have convinced her to wait until the S4 gets released so we can make a better decision.

What will be the flagship ATT WP8 phone after May?
    04-05-2013 03:02 PM
    I only use Gmail. I dont sync calendars or contacts. I should be good then, right?
    04-05-2013 03:03 PM
    The way I see it is that WP 'Blue' must deliver in order to stay competitive, because iOS 7 is on its way and it's going to be big.
    04-05-2013 03:09 PM
    The way I see it is that WP 'Blue' must deliver in order to stay competitive, because iOS 7 is on its way and it's going to be big.
    Apple fans have been saying that for the last two years, and with every new OS build they become more and more disappointed. iOS 7 will just be another letdown. The way I see it is that for Apple to stay competitive THEY must deliver...they were behind the times several years ago.
    04-06-2013 07:36 AM
    Apple fans have been saying that for the last two years, and with every new OS build they become more and more disappointed. iOS 7 will just be another letdown. The way I see it is that for Apple to stay competitive THEY must deliver...they were behind the times several years ago.
    This is true. AS an iPhone user since iPhone 3 (and still to this day with the iPhone 5), every time an update was coming, we all kept saying it was going to be amazing, but when it would come, always underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, some of the updates were pretty good, but never reached the hype. I have looked into the next update, and I hear that there wil be an option to resize the apps etc. Still, I am not impressed.

So, does anyone have a place where I can go that talks about what will be in the Windows "Blue" update? Anyone know of the next great windows phone for ATT that is being released?
    04-06-2013 09:25 AM
    I went from an iPhone 5 to the Lumia 920 and love it! I was an Apple fanboy since the first iPhone and had all the iPhones since. I switched to the Lumia 920 (Yellow) and my wife got the HTC 8X. I've used her 8X for a day just to try it out and much prefer the 920 over it. Just two days ago she got herself a black 920 after her experience with mine. Neither of us have had any complaints after leaving the iPhone world months ago.
    04-06-2013 09:40 AM
    Thank you for your advice! I have always thought the iPhone 5 is too light. I put a case on it just to make it heavier! Anyway, I like the 920, and I love the 8x looks. In the end, I'll have to make a decision so I value everyones input! Thank you!
    I like the weight my self. Feels solid. The G3 feels cheap when I used it. The G3 is not cheap, just felt that way. Also you stated that you browse the internet often, the browser is really something that has really impressed me.
    Also, regarding battery life I had a glich of some kind initially that would drain my battery. Reset the phone and I get 24 to 40 hrs depending on use. Never less then 20 with crazy heavy use. So battery is solid, bit I think that on occasion an app or the os does not load correctly. My wife's 920 last for ever. So really good battery is the point.
    Last edited by christenmartin; 04-06-2013 at 10:01 AM.
    04-06-2013 09:48 AM
    Get a 920, Military Armor Shield and enjoy. iOS still is the easiest experience and quite convenient, but the 920 is wonderful to use. Beautiful screen, wireless charging, Nokia support, great camera, durable, and has a real premium feel to it.

Be warned: it's big and heavy.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    Its big especially coming from the iPhone but its not real heavy heavier than the iPhone but compared to earlier smartphones such as the tilt 2 not so much.
    04-06-2013 09:59 AM
    Ditto. I remember ip users telling me that os 5 would have a virtual key board that displayed full size under the phone like star trek. Of course there was a YouTube video demonstration this (jeez). That is apples marketing strategy and it seems to work, for how much longer who knows.
    04-06-2013 10:16 AM
    I went from an iPhone 5 to the Lumia 920 and love it! I was an Apple fanboy since the first iPhone and had all the iPhones since. I switched to the Lumia 920 (Yellow) and my wife got the HTC 8X. I've used her 8X for a day just to try it out and much prefer the 920 over it. Just two days ago she got herself a black 920 after her experience with mine. Neither of us have had any complaints after leaving the iPhone world months ago.
    Thats good to hear! I would love to hear more testimonials from people who went from iPhone 5 to 920...
    04-06-2013 10:48 AM
    I went from an iPhone 4 to an 8X but had to go back to the iPhone. Lack of some key apps was the deal-breaker for me. The 8X is a beautiful phone, however... too bad WP8 still lacks developer support. I'd suggest not just going off of whether the apps you need exist, but whether or not they are fully featured/not buggy etc. If you look into all of that and you're satisfied, I think you'll be happy with the phone. Alternatively, you could do what I did and just buy the phone, try it out for a few weeks, and if it isn't working for you, return it.
    04-06-2013 05:35 PM
    New Nokia RM-877 caught on AT&T

something like that^ probably may come after May or around June. that's also when AT&T's exclusive deal for L920 ends.
    04-06-2013 07:08 PM
    Definitely get the Lumia 920.

From your post, I can really recommend the 920. The camera on the 920 is amazing so if you take and share pictures I don't think you'll be disappointed. You'll also get Nokia's free apps, which include Maps and Drive. Also, you have the 32 GB iPhone with only 18 left. You'll need the Lumia 920's 32 GB (8X only has 16).

I think the decision is clear. Also, you shouldn't have a problem finding the apps you're looking for (based on your list)!
    04-07-2013 01:03 AM
57 123