Calendar - what the **** is that?

dargod

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

I've recently switched from HTC 7 Mozart to Lumia 920 and I noticed one weird thing.

If you go to calendar -> month view you can see that there are some appointments/b-days there. But if you look closer there are some weird, ridiculous names which are far away from what you expected. It's very visible when you do screenshot. I'm posting mine so you can see that.

calendar_view.png

Do you have the same in yours? On WP7 that names were fine.

EDIT: its not f*** in title, it was supposed to be h*** :D

markfive

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to WPCentral :smile: Don't forget to head over to the Introductions forum to introduce yourself.

The text you see in the Month view is a WP8 'feature' - it's correct in terms of which days have entries (well mine always seems to be right) but the actual text is pretty random. On the basis that it's too small to sensibly use the text on that screen, it's probably for performance reasons (no sense in querying every calendar entry in a month just to display text that 99.9% of the population can't read)
This has been mentioned before - see http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/221016-calendar-entries.html

dargod

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Interesting! especially because WP7 has normal text inside there. Sorry, I couldn't find that topic and I will introduce myself later.

Cheers :)

MarcXW

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
It's not a big deal, WP7 also had random text posted, but the text was in English, which might have made it seem closer to the real names for your appointments. WP8 seems to have replaced it with what I believe to be Latin.

TGBmark1234

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I'd noticed this as well. What's annoying here is that my wife's Galaxy Note, which has only slightly better resolution than my 8X, has a proper month view in the S Planner. And a week view. And a 3 day view. Basically, the S Planner wipes the floor with the brutally minimal WP calendar app.

TGBmark1234

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I've tried it. It's got a much better live tile than the built in app, but the main app itself wasn't doing it for me. I also found that you have to open the app itself to have it sync changes from the server, and as I wasn't doing that the live tile ended up getting out of date. The built in app is at least constantly up to date, and that's a required feature!

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I have the built in calendar in a small tile and the chronos calendar in a full sized tile. sometime in the morning and sometime in the afternoon whether I need to or not I open Chronos and its syncs and I get back to work.

brunok

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Calendar app really needs improvement. What I miss the most are the limited options for recurring events. I can't add an event that occurs every tuesday and thursday for 5 weeks...
Chronos is OK but I hate the background color and it has the same issue with recurring events.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Yes. I'm finding the calendar situation one of the biggest letdowns with WP8. The stock calendar on my Sony Xperia S was not fantastic, but it was certainly workable. With WP8 I've yet to find a good solution.

The other thing that bugs me is that you don't seem to be able to select a custom alarm sound for events as default, and the inbuilt ones aren't loud or long enough. So I find I keep missing appointments.

m4tthall

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
The calendar was crap in WP7 and I am surprised they haven't done anything to it in WP8. As others have mentioned there are other options such as Chronos or Calendar+ but it shouldn't be that hard to include a decent calendar in the OS.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I find the calendar lacking as well but it does the job with notifications as well as lock screen information. I also like how it live.calendar.com syncs to my Outlook 2013 App on my Surface Pro... I do a lot of task management on there and I can easily check things off on my L920

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes