Is it just me or all the ones that own a WP are geeks?

joelsilva

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm from portugal, 22yo and i love winphone, i'm an apple addicted, i had all iPhone's generation, i have a macbook, an imac an ipad an ipod and so on, but winphone is brilliant! I like Windows RT too, but i can't use windows desktop, i just prefeer mac osx on laptops.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Where I live, there are several reasons: crazy low-end Android phones (they're better than your Windows Phone hurr durr), iPhones (iPhones are the best phones evah hurr durr), and the name "Windows" (Windows is s*** hurr durr).

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
More and more I'm seeing my (definitely non-geek) Facebook friends post "from Windows Phone." A few months ago, in Ikea, I seen two older ladies, both with HTC Titan II's. Two days ago I hears that all-too-unique Nokia email sound in a restaurant. I see what you're saying but it is changing.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
No, the geeks have Androids. WP8 users would be people who think the hardware's colours make them 'stand out from the crowd' and/or people who somehow like the UI.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
What I mean is that you see people with iPhones and androids all the time, but I barely see any WP on the street.. Maybe is a U.S thing only, who knows..

Thanks in advance for commenting..

Cheers..

Why would that translate to "geeks"?
Its pure probability, really. Tona of people have iPhones, and they look practically identical, and as such are more easily noticed, galaxy phones are also up there, WP is faaaaaaar behind. Ergo fewer sightings.

Why would they be geeks?

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Why would that translate to "geeks"?
Its pure probability, really. Tona of people have iPhones, and they look practically identical, and as such are more easily noticed, galaxy phones are also up there, WP is faaaaaaar behind. Ergo fewer sightings.

Why would they be geeks?

Well I meant geeks as non isheeps pretty much. Where the people who own a WP are way more educated about functionality than the regular person..

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well I meant geeks as non isheeps pretty much. Where the people who own a WP are way more educated about functionality than the regular person..

ohh, that's because the platform is still very new, so many people who got one had to specifically seek it out. Those types of of people do more research beforehand than the ones that just get an iPhone because everyone else has one or Android because they don't have to pay for it out of pocket at the carrier store or don't care as long as it just calls and texts.

People who get Android to tinker with tend to be a lot more educated about functionality than anyone else, though - they have to be, since they're doing all their own IT support on their device :)

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

I dont think so, a lot of people have WP with no more knowhow or depth than an average ios user.
I get that people get iphones If they dont care about Smartphones like people on forums do. Known brand, looks ok. Nuff said.

Personally i find them too small screenwise, useless UI, and quite boring designwise.
I much prefer the 920 and s3/4 over the iPhones, myself, in those regards.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Me too I don't care, but I want to see more people with WP as evidence that it is taking off...

The people who support one of our payroll apps all have Lumia 900s. I was pretty shocked/impressed to so them.

They seem fairly happy with them also. It made me feel all that much more dirty for using an Android at the moment.. I am waiting for Verizon's next next Windows Phone. Catwalk or whatever is next.

alfonz

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I have always liked Nokia phones, I have owned a couple of N-series in past but until recently it was really hard to find decent Nokia models in Canada unless you payed an arm and a leg for one.

I have been a BlackBerry supporter for the last 6 years, and was proud to support a Canadian based device. I have had them all you name it. But BlackBerry has been nothing but disappointment in the last 2 years or so. I did my best to try and give them yet another chance but I got tired of constantly having to defend my self and BB to others. But the each new device it was becoming harder and harder to do so.

Keep in mind I work for one of Canada's 3 Largest Mobile carriers. So I see every phone model out there and their issues and return rates. I had been following the progress of the L920 for quite some time since it was announced. The day it got released by Rogers I had no second thoughts. I tossed my BB9900 into the drawer and went straight to the store to get my new L920.

Now the Z10 is out, I thought "oh no, will I regret buying the L920" ......... HECK NO!!!!!! I have seen and used the Z10, its a decent BB, much improved but still not as good as the L920.

I am a proud owner of an L920(personal phone) and L800 w/ 7.8update ( work phone )

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm a geek, but I was also with Palm for years and years and only ended moving to Android on Sprint, when my OG Palm Pre was just getting to be useless (hardware was just dying). I really liked the OS and have been looking forward to moving to WP8, as it is more inline with what I really liked with WebOS.
I see a few around where I live, and I live in the sticks, but most are business users looking to take advantage of sky drive and one note integrations with Windows 8.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes