What is your ideal screen size?

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
4-4,3"

That naturally means that I find my Lumia 920s screen a tad big :p I came from an N8 with 3,5" screen. I could've gone for the more budget options, but they werent options cos of their more budget hardware. I want a flagship that is a tad smaller. I just really hope that Nokia's flagships won't go past 4,5", it just gets frigging ridiculous.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Coreldan: why? The size of the 920 can easily support a much larger screen.
Coolknight: yeah :) .

Yeah, but I didn't feel like going into too much details. I wouldn't baseline mind a bigger screen as long as 920 itself stayed the same, but regardless it's outside my comfort zone in terms of physical size. It's not too bad yet (weight is not an issue for me, my belt can hold it up, but I'm gonna run outta pocket space if they keep growing), cos otherwise I obviously wouldn't have the 920.

That said, I said the same about my N8 originally. That said, I think we're crossing a different threshold when the phone starts to get hard to use with one hand.

920 is a bit of a special case, but usually the phone size grows with screen size :p I wouldn't mind the space on 920 to be used more efficiently, but it doesn't change the fact that if I could, I'd shrink the 920 down to 4,3" or so.

TLDR: I'm more so talking about phone dimensions than actual screen size, but it's easier to give the ballpark in screen inches than start doing the actual dimensions.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
hm, so basically your perfect phone is a good bit smaller than an iphone4 or lumia800 :) .

No, that was referring to typical'ish screen sizes again. Every phone comes with more or less bezel. Before I got the 920 I used a Samsung Omnia 7. I found that to be just about the perfect size for me physically. It has a 4" screen, although that phone had fairly much bezel too.

But since you are getting confused about me talking about screen sizes in inches to give a ballpark of the phones I prefer, the dimensions for Omnia 7 are 122.4 x 64.2 x 11 mm, in comparison to L920 that has 130.3 x 70.8 x 10.7 mm.

A Lumia 900 was fairly good for my taste too.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Had the Trophy and 822 and now the 8X. At first, I thought the 8x was too tall, but after using it, I like it better than the 822, which was a little wide. Interestingly, the 8x is almost exactly the same proportions as the IPhone 5 (4.3 vs 4.0) . Knowing all the research Apple does on ergonomics, I would think that the majority of people prefer a little taller and narrower screen.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
5 inches or less for a phone. It depends on the size of the actually phone as well. I like big screens but I don't like bulky phones. My Ativ S has a 4.8 inch screen which is delicious, but its very thin and light and I never get the impression I am carrying around such a big phone. A large screen really shows off WP8 interface well. Samsung engineers have been very cleaver with the latest GS4 with 5 inch screen, yet somehow the phone itself is smaller than the GS3. I hope they do something similar with the next WP8 device form them.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I think in many cases most people hold their phone with two hands regardless of the size. If you do things like writing a text, writing an email, or play games then most likely you are using two hands if the phone is small or large.

The only time I use one hand is mostly when I'm making/answering a call, reading a text/email or doing any other kind of reading. With that in mind the only reason phone size would matter is lugging it around in a pocket.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Non-existant bezels arn't always a good thing, either. It can get quite annoying to try to hold the phone if you can't comfortably do it without touching the screen every now and then. Few scenarios like playing games or watching movies could come to mind. I don't do either on a phone though :p

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Thing is that when watching videos on for instance the s3, you can lock the phone during viewing so it doesn't matter if you touch the screen.
But yes, it can be a problem if your grip is flawed, that is true.

MaxPower203

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I used to think the screen on my 920 was huge but got used to it. Whenever I use my iPhone 4 nowadays, I can't help but notice how small the screen is in comparison. How did I ever make due? :)

ktl88

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
5" with small bezel.
Would be happy to have a 5" windows phone which is approximately the size of a Lumia 920 (small bezel/margins around the screen)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon