WP8 Blue Concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
"Device center is the new center for notifications and quick settings. Swipe from the left side from any location or app to open the new Device center"

It doesn't make sense swiping from the left from any location or app. Toast notifications work perfect for me when I'm in apps. I can simply press the toast if it's important, then go back to what I was doing with the back button.

However, it does make sense to swipe from the left on the home screen for notifications of missed toasts etc. Also, a tile for quick settings or swipe down from the top -- It doesn't bother me that Blackberry and Android do the same. End of the day it works. Furthermore, I understand extra small tiles for bigger screens, but what about having bigger tiles for stuff like news readers?

I respect the guys concept, but there is no need to try reinvent the wheel. If Microsoft were to change WP8 they way this guy wants, then that would be the day I would go to Android -- If I wanted clutter and confusion, then I would of waited 3 extra months for HTC One or Samsung Galaxy S4 instead of my L920.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Clutter.

Only thing I like is - start up with intro to how WP works.

+1

I don't understand why so many people like this. Its super cluttered, inconsistent as hell and often completely ignores visual alignment and basic UI standards.

I understand people want features, but these random concepts people come up with are not good at all. I would vomit in my mouth if MS produced this for the next WP update.

sueha

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I bet this concept is made by an android user. It's just sooo android-ish. You guys better follow the Guidelines for Metro.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm on the same page as others, a little too much like android with the device center thing. The app grouping is cool though.

Manojkumar_25

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Guys Have you played Cut the rope... if so you could have came across the pull down for sharing in cut the rope game...I am expecting a notification center like that...

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm awestruck. And I'm speechless. If MS would just nudge in this direction, I bet the devs would push it the rest of the way. Who wouldn't want to show off their app on a start screen like this? Well, only the classy devs would do it. The rest would rather hide behind a widget and mimic something the device can already do. But the truly classy developers that with that eye for "style" could really lead with an 8.1 type concept.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Guys Have you played Cut the rope... if so you could have came across the pull down for sharing in cut the rope game...I am expecting a notification center like that...

I'll never understand the need for a notifcation center.... that is what live Tiles are for... I do see a need for a quick shortcuts to Wi-FI, Blutooth, NFC, etc and that would be nice in a short menu (by sliding to the left) but, just to enable hardware based features. There is no need for a new mail or text notifcations in a "notication center", and if you think so, you are using your phone wrong. This is something Android users NEED, not so with WP...

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
too bad I that the chance that MS is gonna use it is really slim, although the guy used to work for Nokia or MS i forgot.

No disrespect to the guy, but I can see why he USED to work for Microsoft or Nokia -- he simply doesn't understand or appreciate the meaning of Metro design language:

"Metro is our design language.
We call it Metro because it's
modern and clean. It's fast and
in motion. It's about content
and typography. And it's
entirely authentic"

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
No disrespect to the guy, but I can see why he USED to work for Microsoft or Nokia -- he simply doesn't understand or appreciate the meaning of Metro design language:

"Metro is our design language.
We call it Metro because it's
modern and clean. It's fast and
in motion. It's about content
and typography. And it's
entirely authentic"

Ok, I was ok when people were stating OPINIONS, but now that you quoted, this is how I see It.

"We Call It Metro Because It's Modern And Clean"
  • This is MODERN and CLEAN, this follows ALL design schemes by Microsoft, hell it even keeps the always on Animation for the music tile (assuming it is off during the concept) which users request! I do agree (as well as other users) that there should be more tile sizes, and only more rows on Phablets. If there shouldn't be more tiles in the concept, then WP8 isn't metro either, or else they wouldn't have added smaller tiles going from WP7 to WP8.
  • I don't know if you use Windows 8 (which is METRO BTW) but the device center actually takes a lot of the style of that, mixed with some hints of popular apps style to make it look gorgeous. The typography BEHIND the items just is more metro than most apps and concept that came out.
  • The File Explorer is better than ANYTHING I could have though of for a basic File Explorer, if MS releases one I GUARANTEE it wont be as metro as this.
  • Not even gonna mention the gestures not being "Metro" because if you believe gestures aren't metro then well, obviously you didn't use W8, but I do agree, device center should be the same, but in a different location. Swiping would always lead to opening it by accident. Or maybe ONLY swipe to left on homescreen

"It's Fast And In Motion"
  • The speed for WP8 OS is always fast lets skip that.
  • This will make performing select operations quicker and painless. I recently unpinned my setting's off my homescreen, because well I feel no need for it. Now I don't like battery saver on 24/7 and don't like it to automatically cut on because I like to receive notifications normally. Today I didn't mind and instead of an easy device center I had to go to my app list, setting, battery saver and turn it on. Granted I'm lazy but that can be said for many things. Namely any settings apps. If there was a unified device center then people can have quick access to Bluetooth, NFC, location etc with only the click of a button or swipe of a screen that would make lifer easier, and a phone shouldn't require much effort to use it.

"It's About Content And Typography"
  • Don't understand here, this has Typography and brings you content you can actually see, while still maintaining a modern presence. You can see all notifications, time, date, and details of it to determine is it someone looking for you phone number for an emergency from work via Skype, Facebook, ETC (has happened to me) or a little even notification for some dumb event on Facebook. This helps you distinguish which notification came first, if you choose care about them in order. To me, that's content WITH the Typography.

"And It's Entirely Authentic"

• This isn't real, but it's an authentic concept.

An to be honest, this is all about the USER, don't like a notification/device center then don't use it. This about the user and a big chunk of the fan base want's this. It well help and ultimately be YOUR choice to use it, don't like it? Ignore it.

Last edited:

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
^We're not talking about features here, we're talking about the design language. While this concept took the premise of Metro with typography and flat design, it executed it horribly.

Every time someone posts these concept type things people freak out in excitement because of the features and ewww its cool and exciting. But most of these concepts are poorly executed and amateur. I understand that these are not "professionals," but it makes me vomit when people eww and ahh, then demand MS do it, when its truly bad design.

Just because its flat and has type doesn't mean its good or Metro. Typography alone is a very refined science and art. The above concept does not qualify.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
and this is your preference, people think iOS and Android look beautiful. Look at my OP, this is what I THOUGHT and WOULD LOVE WP8 to be, this is my dream WP8 device. I think it's gorgeous.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
and this is your preference, people think iOS and Android look beautiful. Look at my OP, this is what I THOUGHT and WOULD LOVE WP8 to be, this is my dream WP8 device. I think it's gorgeous.

But it completely breaks even the most basic UI standards Microsoft has defined with Windows Phone. I didn't buy into WP so I could have a disjointed, chaotic, and unprofessional UI like Android.

I'll tell you what, I'll make some mockups of a file explorer this weekend and show you the differences.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
This break no standards, standards are meant to be pushed unlike iOS which stood virtually the same. This give Phablets LESS wasted space and give WP users a basic device center to manage settings and notifications while still maintain WP8 and W8 UI Elements, but EVOLVES on them, in that sense there shouldn't have even been a third tile option.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
OP is missing the point. Yes WP can or should have whatever function other OSs have. But it has to present in a WP way. The concept you show us is nothing but a Android wannabee with WP-ish skin or at best a WP with Android theme/shell.

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
@ flagz -- WOW, what can I say. I don't understand why you are so angry at my comment -- are you the guy who created the concept, as it seems to have hit a nerve?

What do you mean, the big chunk of the fan base want a 'device center'? Please provide proof, if not then stop speaking for others -- like you said you're ok when people are stating OPINIONS?

I for one I would love a 'notification center' not a 'device center' (read my first post), but I'm not going to spit my dummy out because certain people will not agree with me -- if I wanted to be a sheep, I would of got an iPhone, or moved to a communist country.

Furthermore, you state:

"* This isn't real, but it's an authentic concept"

You then go onto say:

"An to be honest, this is all about the USER, don't like a notification/device center then don't use it. This about the user and a big chunk of the fan base want's (no such word as want's) this. It will help and ultimately be YOUR choice to use it, don't like it? Ignore it."

So my question to you is this: If it isn't real why make the second statement like it is real, and be so angry doing so?

Like you said it's my choice, and if you'd care to read my first comment, you will see that I said I would go to Android if Microsoft ever did it like the concept you have shown. But this would mean 6 of us in my household would leave, and other family members would probably follow suit -- like you said my choice.

I'm here to have a decent conversation, and certainly didn't come here be dictated and shouted at -- where I come from words written in capitals means the person is shouting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes