Receiving Multiple Text Messages

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Ever since I purchased my 920 (AT&T) I have had duplicate text messages either sent (my girlfriend on her iPhone) and now receive (from my girlfriend who is now on an 8x).

It doesn't happen all of the time but usually comes in batches. Anyone have any idea why this happens? When I was on my iPhone (AT&T) it never happened.

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with People Hub, Facebook or Skype integration?

Thoughts? Ponderings? The inevitable rants? First world problem?

Go...

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I used to have that with my WP7.5 on Three, UK. But then on EE, UK it stopped. I would say it's your network acting like a spoilt brat.

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Ever since I purchased my 920 (AT&T) I have had duplicate text messages either sent (my girlfriend on her iPhone) and now receive (from my girlfriend who is now on an 8x).

It doesn't happen all of the time but usually comes in batches. Anyone have any idea why this happens? When I was on my iPhone (AT&T) it never happened.

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with People Hub, Facebook or Skype integration?

Thoughts? Ponderings? The inevitable rants? First world problem?

Go...

Hi TripsG,

It's never happened to me here in the UK, but it sounds like it's your network provider. Give them a call and they should be able to sort it out for you -- I can't see it being the phone.

However, if it turns out it isn't them, then try a soft reset.

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
I used to have that with my WP7.5 on Three, UK. But then on EE, UK it stopped. I would say it's your network acting like a spoilt brat.

Ha ha ha, that's why I'm on O2, and Three all-you-can-eat -- saying that, when things do go wrong with O2, the all Network goes down.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I think this is partially Windows Phone. My neighborhood has terrible coverage, and whenever somebody texts me or I text them in spotty coverage, sometimes either of us will get duplicates. Never between two non Windows Phones.

so in conclusion, id say its the way Windows Phone deals with poor service. Not a big deal for me, works flawlessly in at least half decent service.

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
I think this is partially Windows Phone. My neighborhood has terrible coverage, and whenever somebody texts me or I text them in spotty coverage, sometimes either of us will get duplicates. Never between two non Windows Phones.

so in conclusion, id say its the way Windows Phone deals with poor service. Not a big deal for me, works flawlessly in at least half decent service.

That's interesting to know, but if the phone had poor signal then why would the phone duplicate text?

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. I have trouble believing it is just AT&T's network as I've been with them for years and this never happened on my iPhone. It's not really a big deal (until you're in a text argument with your GF and a text comes up a 2nd time either creating a huge misunderstanding or re-inflaming the whole thing because it shows up later)...just wanted to know if anyone thought this was related to other apps and their notification systems.

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
After some digging around I found some info regarding your problem.

This is what is supposed to happen either way.

AT&T SMS service centre transmits your Text message to the other networks SMS service centre. When your text is delivered successfully, the other SMS service centre returns an acknowledgement to the AT&T SMS service centre, and the transaction is matched off.

However, when messages are repeated, something goes wrong with the acknowledgement. So the AT&T SMS service centre re-sends your message to the other SMS service centre, until the AT&T SMS service centre receives an acknowledgement that matches the transmitted message.

Therefore, this suggests that your network provider is at fault and not the phone -- I would get in touch with your network provider, so they can sort it out with the other provider you're having trouble with, in regards of repeated texts.

Last edited:

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
That's interesting to know, but if the phone had poor signal then why would the phone duplicate text?

Exactly what Dazzi said

After some digging around I found some info regarding your problem.

This is what is supposed to happen either way.

AT&T SMS service centre transmits your Text message to the other networks SMS service centre. When your text is delivered successfully, the other SMS service centre returns an acknowledgement to the AT&T SMS service centre, and the transaction is matched off.

However, when messages are repeated, something goes wrong with the acknowledgement. So the AT&T SMS service centre re-sends your message to the other SMS service centre, until the AT&T SMS service centre receives an acknowledgement that matches the transmitted message.

Therefore, this suggests that your network provider is at fault and not the phone -- I would get in touch with your network provider, so they can sort it out with the other provider you're having trouble with, in regards of repeated texts.

Yes, but its much more prominent with Windows Phone for some reason (a certain way it sends and receives messages). For instance sometimes my Windows Phone will say it could not send my message even though it does in most cases. This has been an issue since I've had my Trophy on launch day. Definitely not just the carrier, combo of carrier and OS.

fredolay69

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I have had my windows phone for a long time. I have never had that problem. I have switched over to the lumia 920 in october of 2012. Never have I had this issue. The only time this issue happens is when, say, my mother, sends the same message 16 times because it keeps telling her it did not go through, and then she keeps sending it until it says the message has gone through. The end result is I have 16 messages from mom that all say the same thing. And she has some old flip phone. So if thats happening on her flip phone, then it is definatly a network issue. Definatly tell att. This has happened to my friend multiple times on diffrrent phones. Normally att is pretty good at solving these issues.

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Exactly what Dazzi said

Yes, but its much more prominent with Windows Phone for some reason (a certain way it sends and receives messages). For instance sometimes my Windows Phone will say it could not send my message even though it does in most cases. This has been an issue since I've had my Trophy on launch day. Definitely not just the carrier, combo of carrier and OS.

Mine has also done the same thing -- at least I know not to try send it a second time, thankyou for that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon