SMS messages showing in Action Centre but can't reply.

KrisYYC

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,

Not sure if I should post this here or in the Lumia 950XL forum.

Anyway, I have been using an Android phone for a while but recently put my SIM card into my Lumia 950 XL for a change of pace. I updated the phone to the latest Windows Mobile version and updated the apps. To my surprise my SMS text messages that I receive are now showing up in the Action Centre on my desktop PC! However when I try to reply via the notification pop-up the message doesn't go through. If I click on the message it opens the Messaging app on my comp and I can see an archive of old text messages, however I still cannot SEND a text message via the app on my PC.

How is it receiving them yet not able to send them?

I looked for a setting in both apps (PC and Phone) and also in Skype but can't find anything about some kind of SMS sync.

Anybody know what I'm doing wrong? I'd love to able to send and receive SMS from my PC!

Thanks
Kris

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Click on the little down-arrow, to the right of the message, in the Action-Center itself.
This will open a text box, in which you can reply.

Unfortunately, the linkage isn't quite right with Cortana (this is how the message sync works, I use it on Android even now that I've left my 950XL behind), and if you click on the message text, it just opens it in the Cortana instance, in the main Windows menu.

The sync is per-device, and under Cortana->Settings. Make sure it's there, but I'm sure yours is, since you're already seeing the sync'd messages.

I scratched my head a lot here too, but now I use my PC to send/receive a lot, works well, once you figure out this darn nit ;-]

KrisYYC

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Click on the little down-arrow, to the right of the message, in the Action-Center itself.
This will open a text box, in which you can reply.

Unfortunately, the linkage isn't quite right with Cortana (this is how the message sync works, I use it on Android even now that I've left my 950XL behind), and if you click on the message text, it just opens it in the Cortana instance, in the main Windows menu.

The sync is per-device, and under Cortana->Settings. Make sure it's there, but I'm sure yours is, since you're already seeing the sync'd messages.

I scratched my head a lot here too, but now I use my PC to send/receive a lot, works well, once you figure out this darn nit ;-]

Thank you!! I have it working now. It was one little setting in Cortana on my PC. I had to select "allow Cortana to access Calendar, Email, Messaging when device is locked".

Also glad to hear it works with Android ;-)

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Another option if you don't want to work with Cortana to send SMS is to use Skype preview.

You have to be on Insiders (Release preview will do) on both your phone and PC, once updated along with Skype preview, change a couple of settings like "Make Skype preview the default messaging app, and enable it on your PC, you can send and receive SMS from your PC in the Skype preview, if the contact is also a Skype contact you get the choice of SMS or Skype IM's and you can flick between them, the conversations show up with different colour bars depending on SMS or IM's.

Just tested it, you can still use Cortana to send SMS as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre