Help! Server address for Microsoft Account?

daelumia

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I traced my inability to back up text messages to a problem with my Microsoft account - "attention required." I disabled the "Sync email" setting which others suggested, but noticed that the server name was m.google.com (I'm using a gmail alias for the MS account). I deleted this, but the settings menu requires an address. Any ideas? I've tried m.email.live.com, m.mail.live.com, smtp.live.com, etc. but none seem to help.

I also uninstalled Skype for good measure

Note: Because I'm trying to save text messages, I'm reluctant to do a factory reset just yet.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
There are many many many servers my server address is blu-m.hotmail.com yours may be different and probably is. You may need to chat with MS.

daelumia

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Chatted with a very helpful "Justin B." from MS support. We tried a lot of things, incl. many server names, but no luck. Reset phone, lost my texts. BTW my new, properly configured server name is bay-m.hotmail.com.

Blue Hampster

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
I had this same problem (but it took a while to sort out). In my case, my old Account (a former Live@EDU Account) was being closed by my University due to "technical difficulties". So I had created a new Alias, but still had to modify my phone.

The Server details that had been saved and synced over where for my old Account (pod#####.outlook.com or something similar). I found the correct Server by creating a new (not a new Microsoft Account, a new Account connection in the settings) Outlook account (with my details, which gave be dub-m.hotmail.com).

But, then I couldn't change the Server Address becase there was "Action Required", which only let me type in my Password. It would only accept my correct password to get the window to go away, but it would scream PASSWORD IS WRONG ERROR every time it tried to sync. So, I entered the correct password again, the screen went away and tried to sync AGAIN. I then disabled all data links (Wifi and Mobile Data in my case), and told it to try to sync once more. Eventually, it said it couldn't sync at the moment, and would try later, but no fatal error messages. And I was finally able to go into the Account Settings and change the Server to the correct address.

Hope that helps (maybe no to you as you have had to do a reset, but to others having such a quandary)

Pratzzz

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
Hello,i would like to thank you baelumia,i was facing the same problem,i unknowingly changed the server name of my Microsoft account hotmail(gmail) id,and after a lot research i decided to reset my phone,but the n i saw the conversation and i actually copied "bay-m.hotmail.com"and pasted on the serverbox of my account,it again started sync nd no more error codes or aleart,but hey i would like to know,is their any kind of problem doing this,does server name differs according to country??i hav no idea,hope you can help me out with this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett