I traced my inability to back up text messages to a problem with my Microsoft account - "attention required." I disabled the "Sync email" setting which others suggested, but noticed that the server name was m.google.com (I'm using a gmail alias for the MS account). I deleted this, but the settings menu requires an address. Any ideas? I've tried m.email.live.com, m.mail.live.com, smtp.live.com, etc. but none seem to help.

I also uninstalled Skype for good measure

Note: Because I'm trying to save text messages, I'm reluctant to do a factory reset just yet.
    05-10-2013 08:38 AM
    Try dub-m.hotmail.com
    05-10-2013 08:44 AM
    Thanks, but no luck - says "Not up to date"
    05-10-2013 09:02 AM
    Same with "m.live.com"
    05-10-2013 09:08 AM
    There are many many many servers my server address is blu-m.hotmail.com yours may be different and probably is. You may need to chat with MS.
    05-10-2013 10:48 AM
    Chatted with a very helpful "Justin B." from MS support. We tried a lot of things, incl. many server names, but no luck. Reset phone, lost my texts. BTW my new, properly configured server name is bay-m.hotmail.com.
    05-12-2013 02:51 PM
    I had this same problem (but it took a while to sort out). In my case, my old Account (a former Live@EDU Account) was being closed by my University due to "technical difficulties". So I had created a new Alias, but still had to modify my phone.

The Server details that had been saved and synced over where for my old Account (pod#####.outlook.com or something similar). I found the correct Server by creating a new (not a new Microsoft Account, a new Account connection in the settings) Outlook account (with my details, which gave be dub-m.hotmail.com).

But, then I couldn't change the Server Address becase there was "Action Required", which only let me type in my Password. It would only accept my correct password to get the window to go away, but it would scream PASSWORD IS WRONG ERROR every time it tried to sync. So, I entered the correct password again, the screen went away and tried to sync AGAIN. I then disabled all data links (Wifi and Mobile Data in my case), and told it to try to sync once more. Eventually, it said it couldn't sync at the moment, and would try later, but no fatal error messages. And I was finally able to go into the Account Settings and change the Server to the correct address.

Hope that helps (maybe no to you as you have had to do a reset, but to others having such a quandary)
    01-08-2014 09:04 AM
    Hello,i would like to thank you baelumia,i was facing the same problem,i unknowingly changed the server name of my Microsoft account hotmail(gmail) id,and after a lot research i decided to reset my phone,but the n i saw the conversation and i actually copied "bay-m.hotmail.com"and pasted on the serverbox of my account,it again started sync nd no more error codes or aleart,but hey i would like to know,is their any kind of problem doing this,does server name differs according to country??i hav no idea,hope you can help me out with this.
    01-09-2014 02:35 PM
    Windows phone 820 I erased my server need help can't get into my Microsoft account please some help me
    09-19-2014 01:08 AM
    Help find windows phone Microsoft server address.thank you
    05-27-2015 02:16 AM
    It works for Lumia 1320 . Thanks.
    09-16-2015 05:54 AM
    bay.m.hotmail.com works!
    09-30-2015 02:58 PM