05-15-2013 09:42 AM
67 123
tools
    It's an attractive phone, but it's styling is very derivative. Retailers already don't give the Lumia 920 the attention it deserves. However, at least when they happen to have a colorful version on display, or even the white for that matter, it stands out as distinctive. And people on the street definitely notice.

So instead, they take the safe me-too approach and go with aluminum. That isn't even necessarily the problem, but rather that they go back to boring black and white. Maybe there's market research that shows that most consumers are turned off by colorful phones. At least right up to the point that Apple starts offering them.

It also seems absurd that they'd drop built in wireless charging. Of all the functionality of my phone, that's the one that impressed friends most because it was so distinctive and practical.
    05-14-2013 10:50 AM
    Halving the storage to 16 GB and still no SD card slot! They really have lost the plot.
    Exactly. But I think they didn't want 920 to lose steam. So they want 920 to still sell while pple who want lighter phone can look at this.. If they give everything in 925 then 920 is not going to sell. I think that is the reason.

They will be selling 32 GB thru Vodaphone I believe.
    05-14-2013 11:02 AM
    It's an attractive phone, but it's styling is very derivative. Retailers already don't give the Lumia 920 the attention it deserves. However, at least when they happen to have a colorful version on display, or even the white for that matter, it stands out as distinctive. And people on the street definitely notice.

So instead, they take the safe me-too approach and go with aluminum. That isn't even necessarily the problem, but rather that they go back to boring black and white. Maybe there's market research that shows that most consumers are turned off by colorful phones. At least right up to the point that Apple starts offering them.

It also seems absurd that they'd drop built in wireless charging. Of all the functionality of my phone, that's the one that impressed friends most because it was so distinctive and practical.
    I don't really look at it as the safe route. Nokia is known for listening to feature requests and conducting customer research. This year many customers asked for a thinner metal device, and that's exactly what they provided. Wireless charging was possibly sacrificed to provide the much thinner frame, but they knew it was a much needed feature...so they accommodated by providing a wireless charging case. Obviously everyone won't be happy with every device, but this way they can let ppl choose thinner or heavier, wireless charging built into the phone or case, metal body or colorful presence...everyone has options now.
    svenhassel and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-14-2013 11:18 AM
    They will be selling 32 GB thru Vodaphone I believe.
    Do
    you happen to know if the 925 vodaphone version is compatible with any us carriers?
    05-14-2013 12:26 PM
    Do
    you happen to know if the 925 vodaphone version is compatible with any us carriers?
    If these specs Nokia Lumia 925 Windows Phone 8 Device Tech Specs | WMPoweruser hold true you will get HSPA at least (no LTE I dont think, not sure of the bands tho) on At&t and its MVNO's but only EDGE on Tmobile. Wont work at all on VZW or Sprint.
    05-14-2013 01:10 PM
    (wipes tears from eyes after laughing at this for 15 minutes). T-Mobile isn't getting the 32GB version. This is what they killed the 8X for.
    Honestly, I think they killed the 810 in favor of the 925.
    05-14-2013 01:14 PM
    I respectfully disagree. 810 was positioned as the cheaper option to the "high end" 8X. Under that scenario, the 925 kills the 8X and the 521 kills the 810. Now, if T-Mobile suddenly starts selling the 8X again, and at a price point between the 521 and 925, I'd agree.

Typical HTC...make a good enough phones and watch it not sell because the flaws are the stuff that really turn off consumers...Typical T-Mobile, never really had a good phone lineup for years. Guess they are glad to know that they typical stuff will sell like iPhone and S4...
    05-14-2013 03:22 PM
    What a crap announcement. Nokia is now rehashing phones over and over again. Lumia 920 > 928 > 925. All exactly the same with alternations in the chassis except that 925 will come with 16GB version, only 2 color choices and no built in wireless charging. Awesome. The whole focus of the event was on some damn camera app because we don't have enough of those already.

I suppose my expectations were a little too high.
    You are bashing Nokia for ever man.. give it a rest already.
    theefman likes this.
    05-14-2013 03:28 PM
    What a crap announcement. Nokia is now rehashing phones over and over again. Lumia 920 > 928 > 925. All exactly the same with alternations in the chassis except that 925 will come with 16GB version, only 2 color choices and no built in wireless charging. Awesome. The whole focus of the event was on some damn camera app because we don't have enough of those already.

By now you probably read Nokia s answers to your concerns. Nokia never meant for the 928 and 925 to be the next generation of Lumia devices, but rather a brother or sister to the 920 appealing to different audiences. They made it clear that the next generation of Lumia devices will be unveiled later this year.
    Laura Knotek and theefman like this.
    05-14-2013 07:32 PM
    You are bashing Nokia for ever man.. give it a rest already.
    Always remind us he got a lemon 920 and happily switch to 8X
    Last edited by Huime; 05-15-2013 at 02:59 AM.
    05-14-2013 07:45 PM
    Really disappointed with no Micro SD card and the memory
    05-14-2013 10:36 PM
    T-Mobile just screwed Windows phone users again. I wanted to upgrade to this but only 16 GB and Micro SD missing are deal breakers I'll stick with the 810.
    05-14-2013 10:40 PM
    Kind of disappointed they did not at least equal the storage of the 920 and the 928. I have no need for a camera that instantaneous shots like 10 shots at a time. I am going to see if I can buy a 920 unlock from AT&T or Microsoft or another provider. I guess the ones that are having the 920 still have them locked and after you buy it they may or may not unlock it for you - right there by way of customer service or you have to be a customer of their for 90 days before they will do it. Not sure what is up with that; since the providers are confuse about the time frame before they will unlock it if you buy it out right! That will have to be clarified!

Guess it ebay or nothing if you want it right away! Nokia does not recommend third parties to unlock it however. I just going to wait it out to see if the 920 gets a discount after the 925 gets to T-Mobile.

After looking at the 925; I may go to 720 because I think it looks nicer even with cheap plastic and has better features - it half the cost too! If I want the 720; I have to wait till Nokia officially ships it!
    05-15-2013 01:39 AM
    920 too heavy???

If you can't handle 185 grams of phone, I would suggest staying at home with a pair of slippers and some cocoa!!!
    Wimps!!!!
    That joke has gotten so old, so over used, and most of all it makes absolutely no sense. By your logic holding 300g in your hands isn't a big deal either, and it really isn't, but how would you feel holding a 300g phone?
    05-15-2013 03:36 AM

I suppose they were seeing that it is SUPPOSE to look like the 928 and the 920.

The fact that I'm on another platform and understand that this is T-Mobile's variant of the 920, and that y'all don't, is sad
    theefman, a5cent and peacefulberry like this.
    05-15-2013 04:14 AM
    T-Mobile just screwed Windows phone users again. I wanted to upgrade to this but only 16 GB and Micro SD missing are deal breakers I'll stick with the 810.
    ^ This. I tell you, T-Mobile does a good job of shafting its existing WP8 customers...

Again, I'm not knocking the 925. Its a nice phone, but you can see it was never targeted for us at WP8 launch folks. It is geared for people who heard of the great 920 camera and wanted it on T-Mobile. At this point, all weight jokes aside, I'd rather the OG 920 of the 3 variants as my daily driver to replace my 810.
    05-15-2013 08:58 AM
    The important thing about the 925 and 928 is that Nokia now has a high end phone on two carriers that it didn't before. Period. They are just different enough from the 920 to be "exclusive" to the two carriers.

All of this is, of course JMHO.
    theefman likes this.
    05-15-2013 09:42 AM
67 123