Wp8 is incapable of background tasks

azaright

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
If i post a tweet and click send button and immediately switch to another and come back it to it,it does not send it,why? My blackberry with 256mb ram does it

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I'd say it's more about the app rather than the OS. The OS is capable of background tasks in general. That said, I do the same kind of thing (send/do something) and immediately go to another app and I have never noticed stuff not actually going through, however I dont use twitter so it might be something related to just that.

kokola95

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Im also complaining about this.

This is Windows Phone limitation, the minimised apps are frozen therefore it cant do a thing. I hope msft will have specific API for social networking and chat app to allow this kind of purpose

Shouvik Mazumdar

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I think as long as your app is "allowed" to perform background task (Settings > applications > background task) , this should not be a problem. didn't use twitter but used other apps in the similar fashion u said and I didn't face any problem and this I guess is device type / network independent

Florin Anghel

Banned
Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I think this is related to India, you have high latency, at least high enough to not send right away. This can be carrier, or connecting to the twitter servers from an ip that is located in India. I am not experiencing any issues. WP is multi-tasking capable.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
This is not a supported background scenario. If you switch away from an app, it will quickly freeze itself. Ideally, I'd like Microsoft to add in a background task which can execute on app suspension that will continue uploading and downloading. This should also allow for background downloads of a sort – open podcast app, it starts downloading, switch away and do something else, return with the podcasts downloaded.
This is wrong

Last edited:

kokola95

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
This is not a supported background scenario. If you switch away from an app, it will quickly freeze itself. Ideally, I'd like Microsoft to add in a background task which can execute on app suspension that will continue uploading and downloading. This should also allow for background downloads of a sort ? open podcast app, it starts downloading, switch away and do something else, return with the podcasts downloaded.
I really hope msft notice this.

all IM on wp doesnt work well bcs of this problem except whatsapp bcs they use the music api thingy. i have to make sure the app is on while im sending pic on LINE or kakaotalk, or it will occur an error

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
sorry, that's just wrong. the devs need to use the right services and it can work, also download things in the background. examples: MeTweets, FlashVideo TubeMusic

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
sorry, that's just wrong. the devs need to use the right services and it can work, also download things in the background. examples: MeTweets, FlashVideo TubeMusic
Prove there is a background capability that allows apps to immediately continue an upload or download task when they are frozen.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Prove there is a background capability that allows apps to immediately continue an upload or download task when they are frozen.

If I recall, MS has left this up to devs if they want app to work in background or not for data transfer by just ticking GPS option, am I right ?? because we do have apps like tube pro and even nokia music which can download in background....

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I already gave. FlashVideo TubeMusic can download things in the background, metweets sends a tweet when I directly change to another app.

svenhassel

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
If you go to settings, then applications, and then background tasks, you can select which programs can continue running in the background. I think is limited to 10 (at least on my lumia 620).

I didn?t find the option for Twitter, though.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Background tasks are only for apps that have designed to use a separate background tasks agents to perform background operations. It's not OS's fault that particular app, like the twitter app, doesn't support this.

Basically, you have a crappy app and send blames to that app developer.

All modern phone OSes suspend apps when they are no longer the foreground app to save battery. Android is slightly more flexible that it will let apps continue to run in background if the app desires so. That's also the problem with Android that after a while your phone will become sluggish and may require manually kill the background apps.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site

Also read the limitations, now I know why UC Browser doesn't support it, app have to create local folder limited to that app's storage so the function of automatic transferring the files in their respected folders (like mp3 file in music) UC Browser does,cannot be done with this api, hope MS remove such restrictions or add own filea management system for this...

McSlappy

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to go with it's the Apps problem. I'm using IM+ and it seems to have no problems with running in the background. Okay well it's daemon running in the background but still it sends and receives in the background no problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital