05-22-2013 03:59 AM
29 12
tools
    If i post a tweet and click send button and immediately switch to another and come back it to it,it does not send it,why? My blackberry with 256mb ram does it
    05-15-2013 04:24 PM
    If i post a tweet and click send button and immediately switch to another and come back it to it,it does not send it,why? My blackberry with 256mb ram does it
    What carrier are you on and what device do you have?
    05-15-2013 04:47 PM
    What carrier are you on and what device do you have?
    Lumia 720 india docomo network
    05-16-2013 04:24 AM
    I'd say it's more about the app rather than the OS. The OS is capable of background tasks in general. That said, I do the same kind of thing (send/do something) and immediately go to another app and I have never noticed stuff not actually going through, however I dont use twitter so it might be something related to just that.
    05-16-2013 04:27 AM
    Im also complaining about this.

This is Windows Phone limitation, the minimised apps are frozen therefore it cant do a thing. I hope msft will have specific API for social networking and chat app to allow this kind of purpose
    05-16-2013 04:36 AM
    I don't use twitter but what if you post using the people hub?
    05-16-2013 04:47 AM
    I think as long as your app is "allowed" to perform background task (Settings > applications > background task) , this should not be a problem. didn't use twitter but used other apps in the similar fashion u said and I didn't face any problem and this I guess is device type / network independent
    05-16-2013 04:48 AM
    I think this is related to India, you have high latency, at least high enough to not send right away. This can be carrier, or connecting to the twitter servers from an ip that is located in India. I am not experiencing any issues. WP is multi-tasking capable.
    05-16-2013 04:54 AM
    [S]This is not a supported background scenario. If you switch away from an app, it will quickly freeze itself. Ideally, I'd like Microsoft to add in a background task which can execute on app suspension that will continue uploading and downloading. This should also allow for background downloads of a sort – open podcast app, it starts downloading, switch away and do something else, return with the podcasts downloaded.[/S]
    This is wrong
    Last edited by AngryNil; 05-21-2013 at 02:19 AM. Reason: wrong
    05-16-2013 04:58 AM
    Might be because of 2G. I use 3G Vodafone Lumia 920 and no problem with background task
    05-16-2013 05:10 AM
    This is not a supported background scenario. If you switch away from an app, it will quickly freeze itself. Ideally, I'd like Microsoft to add in a background task which can execute on app suspension that will continue uploading and downloading. This should also allow for background downloads of a sort – open podcast app, it starts downloading, switch away and do something else, return with the podcasts downloaded.
    I really hope msft notice this.

all IM on wp doesnt work well bcs of this problem except whatsapp bcs they use the music api thingy. i have to make sure the app is on while im sending pic on LINE or kakaotalk, or it will occur an error
    05-16-2013 05:10 AM
    sorry, that's just wrong. the devs need to use the right services and it can work, also download things in the background. examples: MeTweets, FlashVideo TubeMusic
    svenhassel, AngryNil and kokola95 like this.
    05-16-2013 07:32 AM
    sorry, that's just wrong. the devs need to use the right services and it can work, also download things in the background. examples: MeTweets, FlashVideo TubeMusic
    Prove there is a background capability that allows apps to immediately continue an upload or download task when they are frozen.
    05-20-2013 02:31 AM
    Prove there is a background capability that allows apps to immediately continue an upload or download task when they are frozen.
    If I recall, MS has left this up to devs if they want app to work in background or not for data transfer by just ticking GPS option, am I right ?? because we do have apps like tube pro and even nokia music which can download in background....
    05-20-2013 03:59 AM
    Are you looking for Background file transfers for Windows Phone?
    AngryNil and TheSuperject like this.
    05-20-2013 07:02 AM
    I already gave. FlashVideo TubeMusic can download things in the background, metweets sends a tweet when I directly change to another app.
    AngryNil and TheSuperject like this.
    05-20-2013 08:18 AM
    If you go to settings, then applications, and then background tasks, you can select which programs can continue running in the background. I think is limited to 10 (at least on my lumia 620).

I didnīt find the option for Twitter, though.
    05-20-2013 10:57 AM
    Background tasks are only for apps that have designed to use a separate background tasks agents to perform background operations. It's not OS's fault that particular app, like the twitter app, doesn't support this.

Basically, you have a crappy app and send blames to that app developer.

All modern phone OSes suspend apps when they are no longer the foreground app to save battery. Android is slightly more flexible that it will let apps continue to run in background if the app desires so. That's also the problem with Android that after a while your phone will become sluggish and may require manually kill the background apps.
    05-20-2013 11:14 AM
    Also read the limitations, now I know why UC Browser doesn't support it, app have to create local folder limited to that app's storage so the function of automatic transferring the files in their respected folders (like mp3 file in music) UC Browser does,cannot be done with this api, hope MS remove such restrictions or add own filea management system for this...
    05-20-2013 11:55 AM
    I'm going to go with it's the Apps problem. I'm using IM+ and it seems to have no problems with running in the background. Okay well it's daemon running in the background but still it sends and receives in the background no problem.
    05-20-2013 02:19 PM
    FlashVideo TubeMusic can download things in the background, metweets sends a tweet when I directly change to another app.
    Looks like I was completely wrong. Thanks a bunch for these pointers, I have no idea how I missed them. I'm not sure how well known this is, but a tonne of apps could benefit from it. This is good knowledge for my own purposes, too.

MeTweets seems to have a rather imperfect implementation, when I resumed the app it sent the tweet again.
    TheSuperject likes this.
    05-21-2013 02:22 AM
    you can run maximum of 15 apps at background with true multitasking capabilities(on my 620) so no problem with twitter here,I'm on Tata Docomo 2g,it just works fine,but you may find delay in live tiles updates because WP8 has interval of 30mins before each live tiles updates,this is done inorder to save battery
    05-21-2013 08:09 AM
    This is a minor issue though. While there is an API in place for background downloading, you are mistaken if you think this is intended for what OP posted. The amount of misunderstanding here is extraordinary...

Apps that appear to always be online don't have or need background support. They register with the system to receive "push" notifications which is entirely handed by the system and the system gives you a shortcut back to the app when you get one. When you start the app again, it reconnects and resumes your session. It IS NOT "running in the background". This is fine for chat programs and other, but OP is correct in saying that you must wait for network operations to complete before multi tasking. And no, it's not somehow the dev's fault that he/she didn't add another 30 lines of code to circumvent this, which a number of you are insinuating. Sorry, that's just stupid. Moreover as I said, the background API isn't intended for this and I'm not confident that devs have the power to resolve this issue.

Even in internet explorer, if you save a picture you MUST wait for it to finish downloading, you have to sit there and watch it download before "backing" out of it, which is quite annoying to me.
    Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express
    05-21-2013 08:31 AM
    This is a minor issue though. While there is an API in place for background downloading, you are mistaken if you think this is intended for what OP posted. The amount of misunderstanding here is extraordinary...
    I believe you are conflating the standard issue background agents (which are likely familiar to many) and background file transfers (per manicottiK). I personally can't believe I've never seen anything on this until today, considering it apparently has been supported since Mango! An app can initiate an upload or download transfer when it is active which will run separate from the app and as such, not be frozen when you switch away from it. This should work to send tweets, download podcasts and similar.
    Robert Carpenter likes this.
    05-21-2013 09:59 AM
    There are reasons that this is by design.

In all of these scenarios that were provided (twitter, downloading picture in IE), there are implications with these expectations. If any of these scenarios encountered some sort of error during the process, you would NEVER know. You go to send a tweet and immediately exit the app because you expect it to finish in the background. You form a natural expectation of this over time, and then eventually there will be one time where there is a network error and you will never know what happened. In these situations, consistency is more important. With the current design, it will function and behave the same way EVERY time and you will never be left guessing.

If you want the functionality you are all describing, you need to have a way to inform the user of errors that might be encountered. Therefore, you will need a full background agent to achieve this, which is currently available for developers to use. If you want to introduce advanced features like this in your app, you need to make sure you are covering EVERY scenario and requirement.

However, an app developer can STILL achieve the functionality you want using a BackgroundWorker thread. A BackgroundWorker thread is stopped when an app is tombstoned, not deactivated.
    AngryNil likes this.
    05-21-2013 10:05 AM
29 12