Uninstalling Applications What happened?

Pulserider

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Something that came to my mind regarding the Windows phone OS. What will happened when installing Applications or Games and then uninstall them? Will there be files left behind when you do the uninstalling? If files does get left behind will that at a later stage clog up the phone and slow it down?

I saw this on Android devices. When you uninstall a program or game there is always somewhere something then gets left behind. Not sure if it will slow down...but the same is with Windows OS running on computers, there is always something left behind. Now I was wondering what about the Windows Phone OS?

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Without a proper file manager it's difficult to say for sure but I suspect that something gets left behind. My best guess is that the left over files/folders are put into the Temporary files folder which we can clear out using the storage check app. However, it doesn't clear out the folder completely and always takes up a few hundred MB's.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Myth 1 - Windows Phone slows down with time
Reality - Really?, Nope it performs on the same speed no matter how hard you push it:).

Myth 2 - Uninstalling apps leaves files behind
Reality (My view) - I did read that apps run sandboxed on wp8 somewhere on this forum some time back, so technically banking on that 'sandbox' statement an uninstall means complete wipe off of that app. Android is a different platform and lets not discuss that here but yes an uninstall is a complete messup in Android. But hey, you can't view the hidden files on your phone so there's no way (atleast for me) to tell if there are some cluttered app folders eating my space.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I have low level access to WP devices and I can confirm that uninstalling a WP app truly does get rid of everything. WP really is nothing like Android or Windows in this regard. You will not experience any performance degradation based on the number if app installs/uninstalls, ever.

That isn't to say a WP device can't slow down. They can, but only for short instances, not in the quasi permanent way an Android device or Windows installation can.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I work for a carrier and sometimes get to play with tools that provide access to low level layers of the OS that aren't otherwise accessible.

Interesting, could you tell something about reducing the 'other' storage? or how exactly does it keep growing for no good reason?

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately I can't. Sorry. :-(

Wow, am glad I didn't ask how do you hack/jailbreak/root the phone lol.
Its fine mate, I know the company policies.
Am only concerned that someday if I have 100 apps, it shouldn't be like the phone is out of memory.

Jaco Ra

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Myth 1 - Windows Phone slows down with time
Reality - Really?, Nope it performs on the same speed no matter how hard you push it:).

Myth 2 - Uninstalling apps leaves files behind
Reality (My view) - I did read that apps run sandboxed on wp8 somewhere on this forum some time back, so technically banking on that 'sandbox' statement an uninstall means complete wipe off of that app. Android is a different platform and lets not discuss that here but yes an uninstall is a complete messup in Android. But hey, you can't view the hidden files on your phone so there's no way (atleast for me) to tell if there are some cluttered app folders eating my space.

My phone is now moving slower. Probably cause its maybe the lowest Windows Phone device out there but still. And Twitter is pretty much always slow on it

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Wow, am glad I didn't ask how do you hack/jailbreak/root the phone lol.
Its fine mate, I know the company policies.
Am only concerned that someday if I have 100 apps, it shouldn't be like the phone is out of memory.

He wasn't saying he didn't want to or wasn't allowed. He was saying he's not able to. Low level access doesn't mean complete access.

Oh - and I have more than 200 apps on my phone. Plenty of space left.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duncekatie39