It's Starting to Happen!

rocketboy

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
So at lunch a work colleague said, "So you have a Windows Phone right? How do you like that?". The next words out of her mouth were that she was getting tired of iPhone and wanted something different but didn't want to get an android. Another random person at work walked by, noticed I had the yellow Lumia and remarked at how his wife had the same phone and how impressed they were by the maps/navigation capabilities. Slowly, but surely I'm seeing more awareness and interest on WP even though I still don't see many in the wild.

Anyone else anecdotally noticing the same?

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I took a seat on a plane and two guys of no acquaintance behind me had windows phones.
A friend of mine is growing tired of his iPhone, and had many questions about my 720.
The receptionist at my office wants my phone, but it is not available on contract in the US.

So yeah, it's picking up some steam, at least anecdotally.

mrappbrain

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
So at lunch a work colleague said, "So you have a Windows Phone right? How do you like that?". The next words out of her mouth were that she was getting tired of iPhone and wanted something different but didn't want to get an android. Another random person at work walked by, noticed I had the yellow Lumia and remarked at how his wife had the same phone and how impressed they were by the maps/navigation capabilities. Slowly, but surely I'm seeing more awareness and interest on WP even though I still don't see many in the wild.

Anyone else anecdotally noticing the same?
Happening to me too!
All my friends say they love the animation filled UI and the Xbox integration. Everyone is bored of iOS and for those who think android is too complicated I think windows phone makes the perfect option.
Earlier people used to tell me windows phone has no apps. Now i can tell them about temple run and jetpack joyride etc and they will go for Wp. I think the only reason ppl were not switching all this while was be use of the bad app ecosystem. With that changing, more and more ppl are swithcing to windows phone!

ibbyj

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I had two friends buy one after seeing mine. Another one is about to switch from ios.

Apps used to hold people back, but when I show them my People Hub, Instance, Xbox Music and Games.. they almost immediately say.. " I want one."

Obviously some still say, "But, it's still not an iPhone..." And to them, I say.. "Exactly."

The most common positive thing I hear from friends is how fast everything looks.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
1 of my friends got a L920 after seeing mine...another buddy has HW upgrade coming next year and is very intrigued. Its definitely an eye catching device.

flyinion

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm one that it's probably "about to happen" for too. I've been seriously looking into switching again from android and I'm 95% sure it's going to happen this time. I was also thinking about it with Verizon getting a big high end WP device (928) and T-Mobile getting the 925 soon along with AT&T already having the 920 and it seemed to me this could be the year WP really starts to take off. Kind of like back in 2009 when Verizon brought out their Droid series and started Android's skyrocket up the "charts". I don't know how far WP might actually get, but I just have a feeling that it's going to expand a lot this year what with the new 92x phones and the recent marketing campaigns by both MS and Verizon. (I think it was MS that did the parody with the Samsung & Apple users at a wedding)

GeorgeKan

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I agree, there is an opportunity for WP8 to pick up all those who are tired and bored of ios but the problem is i see a MS which pumps out updates at a very slow pace. The OS is new and is urgently needing some improvements and bug fixes. I mean come on the volume profiles is such a big deal that it takes more than 6 months to rectify?

rob45

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I was passing the Verizon store where I bought my WP recently. I went in to comment on how much I liked it. The manager said they were selling well. Many people are influenced by the sales staff on what phone they should buy.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Not so much with my Windows Phone but I do get people looking at my Surface RT when I'm using it in Starbucks and I even had someone ask about it.

kalo88

May 8, 2013
Visit site
A friend of mine is a die hard apple fan, yet he's been spending quite a bit of time on the nokia website and youtube looking at lumia videos... could we have another convert!? (Hes a due an upgrade too and instead of running out for the iphone he hasnt!)

kalo88

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I agree, there is an opportunity for WP8 to pick up all those who are tired and bored of ios but the problem is i see a MS which pumps out updates at a very slow pace. The OS is new and is urgently needing some improvements and bug fixes. I mean come on the volume profiles is such a big deal that it takes more than 6 months to rectify?

100% agree, Microsoft need to be churning out bug fixes/features instead of doing tiny little patches here and there and 1 'biggish' one a year... For a well established platform with a large user base that's a bit easier to swallow but when you're trying to attract people it's not so good.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
At work today we had a tornado warning hit, which meant we had to get together in key areas of our building. While that was happening one person, was getting frustrated with their Android device. This person has an iPhone 4S, but the screen is all shattered, and the person got the Android phone for cheap (I'm thinking it was a Galaxy S, but not sure). The comment this person made to a co-worker, who has an SII and loves Android, was that they couldn't stand it. Too complicated. The person complained that it shouldn't take clicking on 3 different things just to be able to dial the phone. Quite humorous, as one of the iPhone persons next to me was nodding and agreeing, and one of our flip phone users, who was contemplating getting a smart phone, was asking questions about it.

That's when I chimed in and mentioned I liked Windows Phone because it gives me the power to do a lot of things, but very easily, and that I liked it better than iPhone. I then showed my phone to the flip phone user who was asking questions and was impressed (and this is an 822 mind you), and the iPhone user next to me (not the 2 phone user, but the other one) was impressed as well and asked how the apps are, which I replied "good." Potential future converts? Maybe. People need to at least know about Windows Phone, and it's clear awareness is growing.

vdroide

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Windows Phone grabs attention. My wife used a 620 the other day, not the greatest of all WP phones but really really loved it. We are looking at a few and seeing which one she likes best, the 620, 720 or 920 are in the game.

Be mindful that she has an iPad and I am very much an Apple Fan (iPhone, iPad, MacBook Air, Apple TV etc), so she is well exposed to Apple products. But she loves those WIndows Phones. I am going to ensure she gets one. I think it is a really nice platform.

Kadin Lucas

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I bought the Lumia 620 and have been really happy with it. Great fast phone (I wanted cheaper and smaller). However, the lack of games does still get to me a bit. I have always had an ipod touch (never had an android device) but my partner bought an android tablet and there are just so many more free games to play. I always check the store and they are seriously lacking on WP. I will still stick in because the interface is so much better, but the game thing does get to me!

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm a day-1 iPhone user who defected to WP8 last November. I still get confused looks, head shakes and comments that they can't believe that I ditched Apple. Some days, I get the impression that they're about to stage an intervention.

The sole exception is the coworker who carries a burner trac phone. He says this is the first time he's ever been tempted to get a smart phone.

Well, one at a time I guess.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Just wait. Once Instagram hits the store that will be the proverbial dam bursting. Then once the Lumia 930 comes out in the late fall, that will finally be THE hero device.

flyinion

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Just wait. Once Instagram hits the store that will be the proverbial dam bursting. Then once the Lumia 930 comes out in the late fall, that will finally be THE hero device.

Yeah I was reading earlier that the big update is supposed to happen in fall/winter and will bring more new phones (not sure when T-Mobile might see those though and I'm pretty set on switching to them I think but AT&T is still a possiblity, VZW I'm done with). I may just wait and hold off even once the 925 comes out since my VZW contract isn't actually up until December even though I was willing to pay the pro-rated ETF to get out of it around August or so.

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
This totally happened to me today! My friend was going to buy the Lumia 925, but went with the iPhone cos the 925 is not available yet..

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
When I went back to school yesterday to register, I counted not one, not two, but five WPs (six if you count my 620)

Contrast that with a lone HTC Mozart that a classmate of mine owns just three months ago.
(P.S. His start screen arrangement is horrible :p)

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I got the same question about a month ago OP, quite out of the blue. It was from one of the administration secretaries at my job. We had a Christmas party, gift giveaway thing and many of us took pictures. The secretary collected them and the ones I sent over from my Nokia Lumia 920. She sent me an email "..you have a Windows Phone right?" When I ran into her, she wanted to check the phone out up close. Yes, its happening.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon