Help me understand how Windows Phone 8 consumes data

Internaut

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

New Windows Phone 8 owner here (picked up a bargain 720 while on holiday), and I would like to understand Windows Phone's data consumption model. I already use iOS, which I find pretty frugal with data, and Android, which I find can consume a 2-3+ megabytes while I'm sleeping. Why does this matter? Well I roam a lot, and my provider has no package for some of the places I roam into. In such places, data is ?8 per megabyte. Here is how I understand (and observe) the other systems I use:

- Android: All applications freely consume data in the background
- Apple: Very minimal consumption of data (mostly for notifications and part downloads of emails) unless I'm actively staring at the thing.

Where does Windows Phone lie between these two? How efficient is its system of notifications? How efficiently is push email implemented by Microsoft? Are any of the popular applications particular data hogs? How much data should I expect a Windows Phone to use when I'm not actually using it?

Thanks in advance.
J

Kevin N Smith

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
As a WP dev, I know that the tiles update at a maximum of every 30 minutes. Devs can set the tiles to update every 31 minutes, or even every 4 HRs. However, devs cannot make a tile update every 20 minutes, for example. This update takes a variable amount of data depending on what needs updating. Background tasks can update,sending a notification, a maximum of 500 times per day. The only other times data is consumed is when an app is running (updates freely).

The non push email updates in the same manner, while push continually runs checks for new emails (almost sure about that).

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
As a WP dev, I know that the tiles update at a maximum of every 30 minutes. ... This update takes a variable amount of data depending on what needs updating. Background tasks can update,sending a notification, a maximum of 500 times per day. The non-push email updates in the same manner...
To add on to this, the background tasks that run every 30 minutes (give or take a few minute either way) get to run for no more than 25 seconds, but could be transferring data for most of that time.

The 500/day limit is on push updates; developers can break free of the limit by buying and installing a security certificate to get unlimited pushes/day, but most small developers don't because there's not a need and it costs money to do.

Email that's set to check every "N" minutes can be a problem for both data and battery. The overhead of logging in and checking mailboxes, particularly large mailboxes, can be high. Counter-intuitively, mailboxes that support "as it arrives" generally have lower demands.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
WP8 is a cloud heavy OS. For example when you were only looking for contacts, your are will be loading their updates too. If you mistakenly swipe to the whats new page, you will even load up the social network updates. Picture hub is another same affair.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
As a WP dev, I know that the tiles update at a maximum of every 30 minutes. Devs can set the tiles to update every 31 minutes, or even every 4 HRs. However, devs cannot make a tile update every 20 minutes, for example. This update takes a variable amount of data depending on what needs updating. Background tasks can update,sending a notification, a maximum of 500 times per day. The only other times data is consumed is when an app is running (updates freely).

The non push email updates in the same manner, while push continually runs checks for new emails (almost sure about that).
Nope. Without push notifications, a developer can only update when the background tasks are run. This is every 30 +/- 10 minutes and is controlled by the OS. The update will run every time background tasks are run. A developer can write his app to only use data if a certain time has passed, or every Xth time the background tasks run, but he cannot set a specific time, with exception of timer apps, which are really just setting an alarm, which will only run once.

To add on to this, the background tasks that run every 30 minutes (give or take a few minute either way) get to run for no more than 25 seconds, but could be transferring data for most of that time.

The 500/day limit is on push updates; developers can break free of the limit by buying and installing a security certificate to get unlimited pushes/day, but most small developers don't because there's not a need and it costs money to do.
30 minutes +/- 10. Controlled by the OS.

The NBA live app tile updates every 10 seconds.... So yeah.
It is impossible to develop an app that updates every 10 seconds
If they're using push notifications, they can.

Razon

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
WP8 is a cloud heavy OS. For example when you were only looking for contacts, your are will be loading their updates too. If you mistakenly swipe to the whats new page, you will even load up the social network updates. Picture hub is another same affair.
What does happen in these instances if I don't have mobile internet turned on? Will the What's new page be empty? Can I set it up so it only updates when I'm on wifi?

Internaut

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Bumpety bump.... Thanks all for your input. I wouldn't call it conclusive though :). One problem I do have is that Data Sense doesn't come with my phone, and neither of the two UK operators I've used the phone with (O2 and EE) seem to support it anyway. Also, going back to Razon's post above, my 720 isn't anything like as explicit as to whether it's consuming data over WiFi or over the operator's data network [EDIT], compared to my S3.

In any case, I've stuck my employer's O2 SIM in it, and put it to work for me.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon