Running list of problem w/ 8.1 rt

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
thought it might be helpful to have a list of problem people are having w/ the preview. problems should be expected since this is just a beta release.

i was having problems w/ email, but uninstalling and re-installing the mail apps has fixed that.

i'm noticing problem w/ 8.1 rt not always recognizing when the on-screen keyboard should engage. sometimes i'll touch a field to type something and the keyboard won't engage.

i'm also noticing that sometimes 8.01 rt does auto capitalize the first word of a sentence or even after periods or if you're typing in something like a name field, i wish my first name and last name would auto capitalize. i hope microsoft brings that kind of smart functionality to the full version of 8.1.

i hope microsoft blend the metro and desktop more. i really don't like how jarring the transition between the two is on the 8.1 rt preview. i'd also like to be able to use the same wallpaper in desktop and metro modes. the metro wallpapers are much better than the old school desktop wallpapers, imo.

i don't like the amount of lag in he computer settings menu. maybe it's not lag, but if feels like lag. you touch display, for example, and it takes a couple of second for that info to load. but the lag is consistent, so maybe that's a design feature. and given how snappy the rest of the system is, i'm thinking this is a design feature. either way, i don't like it.

while i love the changes to the store, i don't like that the notifications for updates doesn't appear in green in the upper right hand corner anymore. maybe this will be replaced w/ something better, but i prefer having to not having it.

i wish all references to hotmail or live mail were gone in both windows 8 and windows phone. i prefer a consistent aesthetic and the new outlook design is fantastic. i don't live sharing a story or something and seeing options about live or hotmail.

i hope microsoft continue to add to multimedia functionality. love the new photo editing tools and would love to see a really nice movie maker in the near future.

that's all i have for now. do you have anything to add? i know this thread might sound negative, but that's not my intention. i'm super excited for 8.1. i'm falling in love w/ windows again. microsoft finally gets that computing can and should be a beautiful experience. i actually want to interact w/ my computer now whereas before it was just a tool to get to something else. having a beautiful computing experience make all aspects of using computers better. i've been waiting a long time for this!

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Store updates auto update now.. hence no green updates.

We've seen an icon for a movie editor in a preview, so perhaps that app will come out when 8.1 releases. It's not something they need to send with the preview as it is standalone.

Michael Muscat

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else having issues with flash in metro IE11? Some sites like youtube work but not others. It's almost like it's back to using a whitelist. Desktop IE seems to work fine however.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
With IE 11:
Finding several websites are feeding their mobile versions instead of desktop versions of their website.
Typing in VBulletin response fields extremely slow and painful. I believe it's was the predictive text having fits.
Going back in pages, didn't always work. IE would lock up.

All this is a shame, because I use my RT tablet mainly for surfn the net, and found it completely unusable.

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else having an issue with 5 Windows apps not installing or updating from the Windows Store after updating to 8.1 RT preview? It shows an Error code: 0x80073cfb. The Windows apps not updating and just sit there in the queue:

Windows Alarms
Reader
Windows Reading List
Windows Sound Recorder
Windows Calculator

Other than that I haven't come across any real issues thus far.

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
i'm having this problem, too. haven't found a solution yet.

Anyone else having an issue with 5 Windows apps not installing or updating from the Windows Store after updating to 8.1 RT preview? It shows an Error code: 0x80073cfb. The Windows apps not updating and just sit there in the queue:

Windows Alarms
Reader
Windows Reading List
Windows Sound Recorder
Windows Calculator

Other than that I haven't come across any real issues thus far.

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
this might be nit-picky, but i don't like that when updating apps, when one app finishing updating and installing the whole screen flashes before that particular app disappears from the list of app being updated. i wish it just disappeared without the flash.

vormison

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I don't like that I can't roll back the audio driver to fix the sound issue on my RT. Also, visual artifacts when touching the screen during Netflix videos. Shuffle Party won't work for me.

Other than that, I love it.

dylk

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
it is possible to have the same wallpaper for both the start screen and the desktop. I have it that way now and it looks awesome. its in personalise on charms bar when on start screen.

Plantje

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Ok, finally figured it out...I think.
1.Reset you RT device under ‘PC Settings’
2.Re-build, selecting either French or German as language.
3.Join to the Wi-Fi, bearing in mind that French or German keyboard layouts will be different, so you may need to change keyboard input back to QWERTY so it’s familiar to you.
4. Specifically for the Asus Vivotab RT: look for updates in Windows update. It should state a firmware update from (if I remember correctly 14-05-2013). This firmware update only appeared on my device with the German language; not while using the registry update that has been done here and there. The latter resulted in a 0xc1900106 message.
5.Go to the 8.1 preview website and download, run and install the patch.
6.Restart, and a banner will pop up prompting you to go to the Store to download 8.1
7.Go to the Store, download 8.1. Install.
8.Change language settings back to English (US) and then ta da!

On my computer Office 2013 started to complain throwing the message:
"Microsoft Office 2013 does not support upgrading from a preview version of Microsoft Office 2013. You must first uninstall these preview versions of Microsoft Office 2013 and associated technologies:
Microsoft Office Home and Student Plus Preinstall 2013".
So I have completely refreshed the machine again. And again everything appeared in German. After that I immediately changed the language back to English US without using the machine. Now it is fine. Only while restarting or when logging in some German words appear, but that's it! Perhaps that can still be changed by changing some registry keys. On the other hand I will be fine using this until the final version comes out!

It is GREAT!

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
After several scary moments of watching my Surface not turn back on after a long sleep, I've turned off the sleep option. The power button still shuts down the computer but I'd rather rely on completely turning it off at night.

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
windows 8.1 preview need to be better about recognizes when the onscreen keyboard needs to engage, particularly when the tablet awakes from sleep...but sometimes the keyboard just won;t engage even though i'm tapping a field that requires me to enter text.

Plantje

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Still had 3 small "issues":
•Login screen states "Anmeldeoptionen" and "Kennwort"
•After logging in the screen mentions "Wilkommen"
•My 3G connection is called "Mobiles Breitband"

If you do the following:

Go into the registry editor (run regedit.exe) and navigate to:
HKey_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\Language
Go to the "InstallLanguage" string at the very bottom of the right pane and change it to the value 0409 (which is EN-US)

Now only the 3G connection is still called "Mobiles Breitband"

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
....so are people pointing things out to Microsoft? You are running a beta and (beyond preview) that is the point. It is a good bet that no one from Microsoft is hanging out here taking notes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon