920 screen feels like glass...1020 same?

immyperez

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
The screen feels amazing on the 920! Like a window. With 1020 being AMOLED and 920 being IPS...will they feel similar?

When I moved from my N8, the first thing I noticed (apart from the weight) was how amazing the screen felt.

Am I to assume that it's the gorilla glass that adds this prestige? Also...is the screen possibly a factor for the weight? Every other high end phone e.g. S4 or iPhone 5, the screens don't feel in any way close!

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The screen feels amazing on the 920! Like a window. With 1020 being AMOLED and 920 being IPS...will they feel similar?

When I moved from my N8, the first thing I noticed (apart from the weight) was how amazing the screen felt.

Am I to assume that it's the gorilla glass that adds this prestige? Also...is the screen possibly a factor for the weight? Every other high end phone e.g. S4 or iPhone 5, the screens don't feel in any way close!
you already had experience gorilla glass on the N8. The "popping" effect is from the "2.5D" curved glass.

immyperez

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
you already had experience gorilla glass on the N8. The "popping" effect is from the "2.5D" curved glass.

I was actually referring more to the actual feel of the screen. The way the N8 felt was like most other screens on most other phones. But on the 920 it feels like solid window glass.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The underlying technology isn't what is going to affect the feel of the glass. The LED, IPS, or AMOLED screen, whichever is applicable depending on the phone, is all covered up by the digitizer. The particular glass involved is what you're going to get the feel from. That's what's on top.

immyperez

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
The underlying technology isn't what is going to affect the feel of the glass. The LED, IPS, or AMOLED screen, whichever is applicable depending on the phone, is all covered up by the digitizer. The particular glass involved is what you're going to get the feel from. That's what's on top.

So...do you reckon the 1020 will feel just as premium? I assume so...gorilla glass 3 and all!

It's just that the quality comes at a price...the weight! With the wireless charging removed, who knows what other compromises have been made!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
So...do you reckon the 1020 will feel just as premium? I assume so...gorilla glass 3 and all!

It's just that the quality comes at a price...the weight! With the wireless charging removed, who knows what other compromises have been made!

All high end phones use gorilla glass. That's is not the difference you are noticing. The differences are the glass' curvature (as Huime mentioned), the fact that the glass is slightly thicker than on competing models and the coating.

The first two traits make the glass stiffer (less flex from figure pressure) and tougher, but also heavier.

The Lumia 1020 will be just as good. However, these "luxuries" are available only on Nokia's higher end devices.

immyperez

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
All high end phones use gorilla glass. That's is not the difference you are noticing. The differences are the glass' curvature (as Huime mentioned), the fact that the glass is slightly thicker than on competing models and the coating.

The first two traits make the glass stiffer (less flex from figure pressure) and tougher, but also heavier.

The Lumia 1020 will be just as good. However, these "luxuries" are available only on Nokia's higher end devices.

The "luxuries" bit slayed me, lol. But your other explanations are definitely food for thought! I love the heft...I really do! I will miss it on the 920...

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The "luxuries" bit slayed me, lol. But your other explanations are definitely food for thought! I love the heft...I really do! I will miss it on the 920...

You can always open it up and fill the spaces (what little there will be, with all that tech crammed into such a small package) with sand. If that doesn't add enough heft, you could make an OtterBox-style case out of lead. If that doesn't add enough heft, you seriously need help. :wink:

immyperez

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
You can always open it up and fill the spaces (what little there will be, with all that tech crammed into such a small package) with sand. If that doesn't add enough heft, you could make an OtterBox-style case out of lead. If that doesn't add enough heft, you seriously need help. :wink:

I'm sure I'll get used to the lightness...it's just that every other phone I hold now feels like a flimsy toy, lol!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon