Is Facebook chat now completely dead, or am I doing something wrong?

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so I know that Facebook and Windows do not get along (does anyone but me get on with MS these days? It's lonely in here...). The result is that chat falls over regularly and one has to sign out (go 'offline') and in again to wake it up. This has worked since I got my 820 in Feb. Over the last week, however, FB has died completely and this method doesn't work any more. I have tried deleting the permission link in MS account settings and then removing FB from my phone, then switching off and then back on and reconnecting. Same problem, 'cannot connect to chat' constantly. No way out. I know my MS account is working with FB as my Win8 MS chat app works fine with it. Also, calendars and the like still sync. It's just chat. This indicates to me that it's something wrong with the FB side of things as there's no reason why MS would use a different method to connect to chat on each device. That would be looney. So, what options should I tweak on my MS account to at least get back to where I was? Help me Boffins, please!

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
So I'm not alone with the sudden complete outage thing over the past few days then? Ok. Perhaps we should be tweaking settings on our FB accounts rather than out MS accounts. Anyone tried anything from the FB end that affects this issue?

I must admit, I was hoping for a flood of people saying this same thing is happening all over for the past week. I hope it's not just a few of us that have been targeted.

eurochick47

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting absolutely no toast/live tile notifications on any of the three (Facebook, Facebook Beta, JDB Facebook) applications. Good to know that I'm not the only one... I've been trying to tweak the settings on my fb account on a daily basis (from the other pinned Facebook thread) and nothing has worked so far.

Jonathan Piferrer

May 29, 2013
Visit site
When i want to chat with someone... Sadly i must pick my Ipad...

Now that Whatsapp works fine, the only thing WP misses is a "Facebook Messenger App"....

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
My Facebook chat works just fine, using the People-hub chat, not the FB-app.

Really? Great, that's what we're all trying to do. Can you explain, step by step for the hard-of-thinking like me, exactly how you achieved this feat? If you can let us know how to get there as well it'll be a feat worthy of an heroic poem, which I promise to write as soon as you get me connected. :)~

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
My Facebook chat works just fine, using the People-hub chat, not the FB-app.

+1 haven't had any issues on 3G or WiFi. Haven't had to do anything special. It just worked. Sorry no troubleshooting steps from my end. I hope everyone has connected their Outlook and Facebook accounts on the internet.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
+1 haven't had any issues on 3G or WiFi. Haven't had to do anything special. It just worked. Sorry no troubleshooting steps from my end. I hope everyone has connected their Outlook and Facebook accounts on the internet.

Yep, we have. Over and over again. It is unfortunate for us that this bug is targeted at only some WP users. There must be something different about our FB/MS accounts to cause this, but I just can't find that magic setting. It would be easier if they just marked the setting as 'Make work with Windows Phone' but I suppose that's to simple to be a viable approach these days.

What we need is for someone (Facebook?) to produce an alternative FB chat app that links in with the WP messaging centre. Anyone know of such an option?

When I get time I'm going to set up another FB account and link it to my phone with all FB settings at default. That, presumably, will work fine. Then I'll change one option at a time until I find the setting that breaks it. It does strike me, however, that someone at MS or FB is being paid to do such work and I'm having to do their job for them. Someone at MS/FB is not going to get a good performance review this year...

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

I've had occasional times when I've had to force a reconnect, but since owning a 920 since November, this has been maybe two times so far. This FB chat integration is easily in top 3 favourite features in WP for me. My fiancee has a WP7 phone and it's really nice to be able to just always use the FB chat as a mean to send text messages basically.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I've had occasional times when I've had to force a reconnect, but since owning a 920 since November, this has been maybe two times so far. This FB chat integration is easily in top 3 favourite features in WP for me. My fiancee has a WP7 phone and it's really nice to be able to just always use the FB chat as a mean to send text messages basically.

Yep, I liked it too even though it needed constant nannying to keep alive. I miss it now it's gone. Unfortunately FB chat is like Data Sense and Family Room on WP. It is only enabled for the chosen few. One day I hope to get in MS's good books and they will let me in to their chosen group of customers. I might send Mr Bulmer a Christmas card this year and see if it does the trick (he's not Jewish is he? I don't want to annoy MS any further or they may take away something else from my phone...).

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Make sure that you do not have facebook running on anything else. if you have it up on your ipad or pc that will intercept the messages first and delay the messages going to your phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2