What file system is WP8 using?

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I just looked at the storage I can see mounted when I have my 920 connected and it lists the file system as Generic Hierarchial

golanzikri

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
unfortunately most or all WP8 base on FAT32 (like almost all phons) that why its have the 4gb limit for producing filles - try recording hd video and see what happend after half of hour..
(u can still watche large filles)

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I just looked at the storage I can see mounted when I have my 920 connected and it lists the file system as Generic Hierarchial
WP8 offers MTP protocol only on USB connection, not Mass Storage. So, there is no way to tell what kind of storage your phone uses.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
WP8 offers MTP protocol only on USB connection, not Mass Storage. So, there is no way to tell what kind of storage your phone uses.

It does use MTP but I assume it's a variation of MTP that enables access to the storage on the device as well as the SD Card.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
unfortunately most or all WP8 base on FAT32 (like almost all phons) that why its have the 4gb limit for producing filles - try recording hd video and see what happend after half of hour..
(u can still watche large filles)

The 4gb limit is because the processors are 32bit and can not address more than~4gb. You can't watch files over 4gb on 32bit processors (try it on a 360).

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
thank for correction. do you know about some WP8 use higher processor and havn't this 4GB limit?

You would need a 64bit processor, which currently only one phone has, iPhone 5S. Do we really need more than 4GB at this stage? Also There's not many phones out there with more than 2.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The 4gb limit is because the processors are 32bit and can not address more than~4gb. You can't watch files over 4gb on 32bit processors (try it on a 360).

32-bit Windows (PC side) has long been able to access > 4GB files with the right file system. Don't confuse memory addressability with file addressability.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It does use MTP but I assume it's a variation of MTP that enables access to the storage on the device as well as the SD Card.
MTP is a media file exchange format that shields the low level file system details from the protocol. So, it is not possible to access the file system details via it. You don't need variant of MTP in order to access both storage locations.

bromptonista

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
29 minutes limit are due to video recording device licensing restrictions. Even compact cameras and DSLRs have this (unlike specific videocameras). FYI, the iPhone 4S with a 32bit processor can record >8gb of HD video in one setting (more than 1h 30). You just need the space and the battery. You get a single .mp4 (not split files) as the filesystem supports this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99