background tasks no longer running

bguy_1986

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I had a problem where an app was draining my battery lately, so I started shutting down background tasks. I'm not positive it was a background task because I couldn't narrow it down to a specific app, and the problem has gone away. However it doesn't seem like some of my apps are running in the background anymore. WeatherFlow, and Weather HD no longer update on their own even though those apps are allowed to run in the background. A couple of the other apps also do the same thing. Has this ever happened to anybody? Any suggestions. Trying to hold off on wiping it. Maybe GDR2 will fix it whenever at&t decides to hit that button. Doubt it, but I can live with this problem for a couple of weeks. It may also fix itself somehow...

blackhawk556

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to one of the biggest bugs on WP8. I've had this twice on my 920 and not once did I ever get it to run again. I had to do a hard reset twice to get them running again. Good luck dude, you're going to need it. I'm not trying to be negative just letting you know what I went through.

Al_2

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I've had this happen to me twice on my 920. Really annoying. The phone feels a bit lifeless with loads of out of date tiles!

I tweeted @WinPhoneSupport about it and the only thing they suggested was a factory reset...not very helpful.

There's an article here on WPCentral about it but the solution there didn't work for me: Fixing problems with Background Tasks in Windows Phone | Windows Phone Central

Eventually I got them to start working again by removing some apps that have the option to run a background task, even if it was blocked. I found that as I removed a few of them (completely uninstalled) the background tasks for other apps magically started working again. It could of course be coincidence though!

jonathanbailie

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I had this issue with my Amazing Weather HD app, where it would stop updating the live tile and lock screen. I had stopped certain background tasks (AW HD not being one of them), and found that other apps I had not disabled, were indeed disabled somehow.

After much fooling around, I tried this with success: I uninstalled the app, soft reset my phone, then reinstalled the app once the phone started back up. Everything seems to be working fine now, and has been since I did this (couple of weeks now). I'm not sure exactly which part of this process resumed normal operations of my disabled apps, but it worked out for me nonetheless.

This may seem redundant, but make sure live tile updating is enabled within the app itself, if there is such an option.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk for Windows Phone 8

LiveTilesRus

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Ok, having this issue too. Certain apps have background disabled even though they are checked to allow background tasks. For example Here Drive+ shows to be blocked yet I have opened it many times with the background permission checked. What a load...

Lumia 1020

bguy_1986

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
This is a really weird issue. WPcentral live tiles haven't updated for a couple of days and then all of a sudden today they are updating. I didn't open it up or anything... Weather HD updated early this morning but hasn't updated all day.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99