Wi-Fi Issues GDR2 (Using Celular data when Wi-Fi & Celular data avaialble)

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Wow. Just realized this. Last night i reflashed my phone and redownloaded all app,now it shows i used 60MB just in one day, even though i was on wifi the whole time. I hope MS is aware of this

gvsbdisco

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
For those of you on Rogers......I was using an old SMC gateway/router from Rogers.....I went to a Rogers + store and swapped it for a newer model. Got it home and configured and so far no issues with my 1020 auto connecting to wifi under difft scenarios. I have only done preliminary testing so far but thought I would let people know.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
There is a setting in GDR2 that could help with this. Under Carrier you can tell it not to use Cellular data for limited WiFi connectivity. Not a real fix but may help with the cellular usage until a real solution is found.

Robert Novak1

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Never faced this issue - I am on GDR2+Amber on Nokia Lumia 810. It is always on wifi. Datasense says I have used 11 mb cellular data since the 15th of this month!

same where Wifi enables it's self when the phone wakes up and it defaults to that over cellular. People don't reaslise this but the router one uses makes a HUGE difference as to how the device performs when connected to it. I have a 3 year old linksys router that works just fine with all of our devices. but an older Dlink that does not like some 'droid devices

WhyFiNYC

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
People don't reaslise this but the router one uses makes a HUGE difference as to how the device performs when connected to it. I have a 3 year old linksys router that works just fine with all of our devices. but an older Dlink that does not like some 'droid devices

How does this relate to the problem being discussed here - WiFi working properly pre-GDR2 and not working properly (on the same routers) post-GDR2?

Jiggernauts

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I found a fix:

So far I've had the screen time out and be off for up to 10 hours without the issue returning.

What I did:

1st - Deleted all network connections in Settings > Wi-Fi > Advance > Known Network

2nd - Logged into my router settings from my PC and changed my wireless "security options" on my Netgear N600 WNDR3700v2 Router from:

"WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]" to "WPA2-PSK [AES]"

(Also changed the password but not the SSID)

3rd - Reconnected my phone to the "new" network.

Since these 3 changes I have not seen the issue come back...

I wish I didn't do all 3 at the same time so I could rule out if step 2 & 3 or just 3 are useless but that's besides the point.

Hopefully this will be helpful to you also!!

WhyFiNYC

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I tried simply deleting my known home network and then reconnecting to it - that alone didn't work. I did, however, notice that I was operating on only 802.11n - I changed it to b, g, and n. After again deleting and reconnecting to my network, my phone has stayed connected.

My network security settings were already "WPA2-PSK [AES]", so I didn't change that at all, neither did I change my password.

gvsbdisco

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
The culprit in my setup turned out to be a D-Link 1320 wireless range extender. If I disable the extender i have a rock solid wifi connection. When the phone connects through the extender it has problems. I reset up the 1320 so it has a different ssid than the main router and ensure i that wifi uses the router ssid on the phone rather than the extender ssid. All is good.

WhyFiNYC

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
As an update - it seems as if GDR3 has cleared up my WiFi issues. The again, it's only been 8 hours or so, so I'm keep my fingers crossed for a little while longer.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I realize this thread is pretty much dead but I'm seeing this issue on my Lumia 1520. I used 1GB of data while connected to wifi yesterday 100% of the day. Makes no sense and now I'm near my monthly usage with 9 days to go.

WhyFiNYC

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Update to my old update, which may help some future searchers - my problem *wasn't* solved with GDR3. Ultimately, my imperfect solution was to make some setting changes and disable the persistent wi-fi connection so that it drops the wi-fi when it's locked. This means that there may be a pause of a few seconds as the wi-fi reconnects when I unlock my phone, but it keeps me from experiencing the occasional dead wait, which would normally mean manually toggling the wi-fi on and off to resolve it.

Zonker02

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
Updating to 10.0.10149 was the dumbest thing I've done in a while. NO WIFI capability is a HUGE issue. This needs to be resolved immediately.

Zonker02

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
Re: Wi-Fi Issues GDR2 (Using Celular data when Wi-Fi & Celular data avaialble) Partial Solve

Half Assed solution: (Lumia 928 OS version 10.0.10149.0 / Hardware Revision 1.0.0.0 / Firmware 3051.50009.1446.0093)
1) Back up all your data and music. Make sure you back up everything, passwords.
2) Factory reset phone.
3) This may need to be done 3x
4) Once factory reset you will have windows 10 preview build, it will run choppy for a couple of hours but will work. WiFi included.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2