Worst battery drain ever occured today

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so I usually have great battery life, but today was horrible. I went to school obviously with 100% charge and then I listened to music on bus ride for 45mins. I then listened to music throughout the halls and different times in the day in no instructional time. At first I checked I was at 97% in 2nd period, not bad but usually im at 99%. Was in 6th period and saw that battery was at 38%.(way different than usual day always ends with at least 80%, but I was surprised, after I got on bus home after 7th period, it was at 19% and I got home and now I'm on 7%, I keep battery saver on, glance off, double tap off, WiFi off(at school and bus), data off. So why am I experiencing bad drainage like this? Anyone else with this problem?

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
What, you are usually at 99% after an hour of listening to music? Makes sense.. More like your battery status was buggy and now it shows it how it really is.

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Well as I said I keep battery saver on, WiFi off, and any other battery consuming things off. I am actually usually at 99% after 2-3 hours, and it isn't buggy because it remains constant until I get home and have a field day on my phone. But today it was acting insane, and I also can never get an accurate discharge rate. It will say I'm discharging at 5-8% immediately after being taken off the charger and it was idle and is not discharging at all.

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
You just said it yourself, it's innacurate. There's no way you lose only 1% from an hour of music listening, you lose that in just one song.

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I turn pretty much everything off so, I don't care if you believe me or not. Maybe if you tried the settings I keep my phone on during the week you would see the difference. Music has never consumed much power for me, so I honestly don't know why you are trying to convince me it is impossible. I just am saying that my phone is never having the correct battery DISCHARGE rate, it is always super high when I have been only decreasing at .5% per hour before the amber update my battery saving settings got me into negative discharge rates, but after amber update it stays the same. Before you try and convince me my battery percent is incorrect try these settings yourself(battery saver on, data off, WiFi off(unless being used), location off, glance off, double tap off Bluetooth off, and tap+send off. And I also am not listening to music for 2 hours because I don't listen to music in class. Ok I'm at school 6:50am-2:15pm plus 45 min bus ride. It lasts because I'm not using it heavily, so try doing what I do for a day and then you will see I'm right. Maybe because we don't have same device, it wont be exact but it works for me up until today.

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm just saying that there's no any possible way you lose just one percent after listening to music for 45 minutes, that's what's you wrote in first post. That would mean your phone is capable of playing music nonstop for 72 hours, what? That's all i'm saying, and what does battery saver has to do with anything, it only kicks in below 20% or something, and there's nothing more it can save when you turned everything off yourself that battery saver would..

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I did advanced settings to keep it on always when I turn it on. So it stays on forever. I'm pretty sure your device might be a little fault since after the amber update your battery is performing not so well. But just was stating my problem hopefully it won't happen tommorow or ever again, but if It works like normal I will take a picture of a chart and show you tommorow. From my battery app.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm just saying that there's no any possible way you lose just one percent after listening to music for 45 minutes, that's what's you wrote in first post. That would mean your phone is capable of playing music nonstop for 72 hours, what? That's all i'm saying, and what does battery saver has to do with anything, it only kicks in below 20% or something, and there's nothing more it can save when you turned everything off yourself that battery saver would..

Check the spec sheet. Music playback duration is something very high.

A well behaved phone with screen off and headphones should be able to do that.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Certainly, you may be a victim of the oft-reported sudden battery drain. I've had it happen only once.

I always drop a fully charged extra battery in my pocket if I'm leaving home for long. With my Android and Nokia C7 Symbian S^3, this was mandatory.. With my WP 810, just a precaution.

Glance and Ten Tap eat only a few percent of your battery. They are not culpable.

Battery saver has NO effect until your battery drops to a determined percentage, i.e, 15%, then it shuts off non-essential services and apps.

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I know for a fact battery saver is on, I used advanced settings and changed to the always on option, the heart is always on, It prevents me from doing certain things that battery saver does. I know it is on, and yes I could carry a battery with me, but it never seemed needed until now I guess

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Check the spec sheet. Music playback duration is something very high.

A well behaved phone with screen off and headphones should be able to do that.
Thanks for using your common sense, and to you all who keep saying battery saver has no effect you have to change it to either have battery saver on now until next charge, always, or low(which is around 20%).

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
My 920 is usually out of battery after about 6-8 hours. I do have several calls lasting an hour though. Beside that it is surfing the news in the morning. I thought that was normal. Maybe it isn't... Turned off all settings which might contribute to heavy battery use. Am I doing something wrong here? I am not planning to switch anytime soon, so maybe someone can tell me if I should expect more battery life or if I'm just fine...

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for using your common sense, and to you all who keep saying battery saver has no effect you have to change it to either have battery saver on now until next charge, always, or low(which is around 20%).

Thank you, I stand corrected. Well, partially. Battery saver has been a Nokia thing even on Symbian for a number of years, and with my several other phones, the only option was to be able to set the percent of charge when it would kick in. I had not delved into further options on my WP because I always know what my battery situation is. So, for me, it's just OFF. And, of course, if it's always on, you have a crippled phone.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
My 920 is usually out of battery after about 6-8 hours. I do have several calls lasting an hour though. Beside that it is surfing the news in the morning. I thought that was normal. Maybe it isn't... Turned off all settings which might contribute to heavy battery use. Am I doing something wrong here? I am not planning to switch anytime soon, so maybe someone can tell me if I should expect more battery life or if I'm just fine...

There are so many factors to a phone that its hard to say how long a battery will last.

With a lot of calls on 4G, your time is accurate. Under 3G it would last longer. 2G, longer again.

Power hogs (in very approximate order high to low power usage): Radio (Voice/Data, 4G in particular), Screen, Games (high GPU/CPU use), Browsing, GPS, Wifi, Other apps, Bluetooth, Music

To play music is trivial for a phone as the music likely uses 1% of the CPU and everything else is in low power, hence the long runtime.

Of course, all this goes out the window when OS bugs exist and the phone starts randomly chewing through the battery, as sometimes occurs on WP8, irrelevant of what you are doing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon