iPhone can cable sync to Outlook, but not MS/WP?

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
For fifteen years, I've been able to use one version or another of Nokia PC programs that could sync with Outlook. The latter has been my vault, if you will for Contacts and Calendars. All of these suites could read the Outlook PST files, delve in, and synchronize with choices. For instance, read only this direction, or bidirectional.

The greatest shock upon attaining my WP 810 was that none of this worked, anymore. Oh, yeah, Skydrive up and down; well a month later I still can't get it to work. And I ain't no computer or otherwise dummy.

It turns out that if you are a Mac user, and you use Outlook for Mac, you can connect your phone via USB or wifi and sync.

So, why not us???? Is Nokia/Ovi Suite too much to ask for?

And, oh, I do NOT want every photo I take uploaded to Skydrive. Many are just between me, my PC, and what I do with them later.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
The auto update to SkyDrive for photos can be disabled within the pictures+videos settings. Those will copy just fine to the computer over BT or USB.

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Photo Skydrive auto upload can be disabled as was mentioned.

I was initially shocked at first because there was no direct sync to Outlook also. But simply installing the Hotmail connector in Outlook and all is well. My calenders, contacts sync just fine.

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi and welcome to WP. This subject has been debated to death on many forums, most notoriously this one. Does Windows Phone 7 sync to Outlook? - Microsoft Community

The simple answer is that Microsoft decided to move beyond the traditional methods that tied your Outlook data usually to one PC and in turn, to one location. They would assert that it's better/easier/more convenient to store your stuff in the cloud where it'll always be accessible everywhere.

Regardless on your point of view about security and privacy issues surrounding cloud storage, it makes sense to detach the need for you to be always connected to your PC in order to keep your important email and collaborative data up-to-date, after all, a smartphone is portable and constantly in search of something 'new' to sync or update, that's the nature of connected devices. That said, you're not forced to upload images to Skydrive and I do download my pictures onto my PC from time to time. However the integration is hard to fault, so I have it enabled as a quick way to view photos taken or share them with others or if I don't have my phone, I can easily view them from any PC if I so chose. Each to their own.

As to the alternatives for collaboration, well bear in mind that to get the best out of Windows Phone, you're going to need a Microsoft account anyway. That account can sync all your email, contacts, calendar information and also proxy e-mail from all the major e-mail providers in one place. Even if you don't wish to use your Microsoft account for email, you can, as suggested above, use the Hotmail Outlook Connector to copy your existing contacts, calendar etc over. It's not a sync in the strictest sense in that you have to drag the data over and keep it up-to-date. You can then stop storing/updating contacts in your regular Outlook .pst and instead update them only in the Connector. You can the set the Connector in outlook to be the default Contacts folder and Address book.

There are some other ways including Office365 and of course Exchange Activesync if you are in an Exchange server environment and this is what I use. Once EAS was setup - everything sync'd over to the phone including tasks. The beauty of all this is that I am much less reliant or focused on my desktop and it frees me up to get stuff done wherever I am and I can be sure that information is up-to-date everywhere. I don't use my Microsoft Account for Contact or Calendar information and in fact, I filter them out. I have separate e-mail accounts from various sources all sync'd to my phone including aliases on outlook.com and I have to say, it just works.

WP still has limitations though and even if an cable or Wifi connected solution to Outlook were available, it would still be inadequate simply because of the phone OS implementation of 'Outlook' is minimalist and fairly basic in its operation which is both a blessing and a curse. It will improve undoubtedly but the changes will have to follow the Metro UI principals of fast, fluid, clean and simple. I can't see Microsoft's stance on this changing, they made a clean break from PC syncing tools and it was a brave move, one which did burn a lot of people but I haven't missed it in 3 years. Give it go and set yourself free.

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I agree with envio. What made me start using Windows based devices was the ease in which it did sync with Outlook. I run my own business and could NOT afford to lose any of my client's contact info. By having it in two or three places gave me great peace of mind. When I got my first WP7 device and this syncing wasn't available I was very upset but after getting the Hotmail connector set up and going it is MUCH easier and seems to be more stable than the traditional syncing methods. It has been over 3 years now and I do not miss the old syncing methods at all.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
The auto update to SkyDrive for photos can be disabled within the pictures+videos settings. Those will copy just fine to the computer over BT or USB.

Missed his point, why isn't something as simple as USB direct connect available on Apple and not on WP8. I have that same question.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Deleting long but thoughtful post.
MS thinks, but many of us think otherwise. What about all the people in third world countries without great data connections? Why should I give up absolute control of content and accessibility? Certainly, I will agree that there are many phone owners that want to do all that cloud sharesy stuff. Not me. Call me a Luddite. There is absolutely no reason to not let people to opt out of all the cloud and sync who ha.

I remember hearing a guy on the radio after the iPhone 4 came out. "I had EVERYthing on iCloud and somehow it's all gone." Now, I'm not going to point the finger at Apple, I'm sure the exact same crapola has happened on Android and WP, too.

I want MY records on MY computer backed up to MY backup service.

And this doesn't even start to get into NSA paranoia and such. Which, based on today's latest revelations of the NSA cracking all security and privacy codes should give one pause.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
why isn't something as simple as USB direct connect available on Apple and not on WP8

"Why" is not a question anyone here can answer. All that anyone here can say is, "because the WP8 design paradigm does not include cable syncing."

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
"Why" is not a question anyone here can answer. All that anyone here can say is, "because the WP8 design paradigm does not include cable syncing."

You are correct. In my support talks with Akruto Sync folks http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...-sync-outlook-directly-no-cloud-required.html
I suggested a direct cable option and they said that the phone was too locked down for them to figure it out. At least yet. Odd, that by going through wifi or cellular data, it's easier!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6