Will there be a WP with a smaller screen anytime soon?

Sebsweden

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Like a 3 incher? Are these smaller size phones completely unpopular today?
Just bought my gf a L620, and it is reaaallly nice and easy to handle...

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
The problem is - Windows Phone is not made for small screens because you won't get the full experience of the OS on such devices, and since more than half of Android smartphones sold in the United States during the June quarter had a screen size of at least 4.5 inches, Microsoft have to keep up with the competition, so I don't think there will be a 3" Windows Phone.

Huh? Not made for small screens? It worked great on my Lumia 800. Windows Phone works great on big and small screens. Its just the demand is not as high for small screens. Especially on "flagship" devices.

Need4Geek

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Huh? Not made for small screens? It worked great on my Lumia 800. Windows Phone works great on big and small screens. Its just the demand is not as high for small screens. Especially on "flagship" devices.

For "small screens" I mean around 3" screens as the OP said.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
For "small screens" I mean around 3" screens as the OP said.

The smallest screen on any WP device was the LG Quantum (WP7) with a 3.5" screen. If it wasn't for the slider keyboard it would be almost unusable. Great phone with the only onboard reg edit I've seen on a WP device but the screen was just too small. Maybe a 3" screen with a 4:3 aspect ratio would work but.....

osoalex

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I actually miss 3.8". I know there is Lumia 620, but I'd like a smaller flagship...

May be more convenient when you're not in a secure place or in the bus.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
If you looked at the original requirements, WP was built to work with those little half sized screens like you see on Blackberry phones with keyboards. All apps had to be made with the ability to run at that size.

Just no phone makers made any.

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
with the current use of smartphones, having smaller screens would be quite hard to manage already so it'll be difficult to utilize it. just a personal opinion though. i would prefer anything in the 4.5-5in range. yeah, eyesight isn't that good anymore so i like them bigger. in fact, really looking at the upcoming L1520 even if i think it's gonna be too big.

Sebsweden

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I meant any screensize below 4" really. I find it kinda strange that noone wants a smaller phone these days. I mean the L620 is 3,8 and it works great. I'm sure a 3,2 would work fine, and be really popular with some people.

jeffydude05

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I want a 4 inch screen or whatever size they could fit into an iPhone 5 size device. It seems like all the "premium" phones are going 5 inches, which is to big for me personally. Do you think Microsoft will ever have software buttons instead of capacitive ones?

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I want a 4 inch screen or whatever size they could fit into an iPhone 5 size device. It seems like all the "premium" phones are going 5 inches, which is to big for me personally. Do you think Microsoft will ever have software buttons instead of capacitive ones?

I find that 4.0- 4.5 is the perfect size for me. Anything bigger is a pain to quickly type on.

I really don't think microsoft will ever add software buttons and get rid of the capacitive ones.

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
I find that 4.0- 4.5 is the perfect size for me. Anything bigger is a pain to quickly type on.

I really don't think microsoft will ever add software buttons and get rid of the capacitive ones.
I don't see the added value on onscreen button except maybe you can change them with software and hide them while playing a movie

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I still have a 7280 from Nokia, pain in bum to type something but heck its cool, am not sure if you want your phones to be this small?

mini_google_android.JPG

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss