Facebook Chat Character Limit?

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I have a problem where I cannot send any messages greater than 400 characters via the built-in Facebook chat to any contact whose status is "mobile." It'll say something like "Can't send, try again." I also cannot receive any messages greater than 400 characters if the contact is "mobile." I'll just never receive the message on my phone. As soon as they're "available" this magical character limit seems to go away.

I did a bit of digging, and Outlook.com seems to have the same character limit. If you try to Facebook chat from Outlook.com, you'll find that you can't seem to type a message longer than 400 characters. When you do, the 401st character will overwrite the 400th character. But the difference is you have this limit regardless of if the contact you're messaging is "mobile" or "available." So it doesn't explain why on my Windows Phone I don't have the issue as long as the contact is "available."

Finally, I have a friend who has Facebook chat turned off (the little sidebar on Facebook.com), and uses regular Facebook messaging only. For some reason she only shows as mobile, even though she's not. So what happens is I can send her messages via the integrated messaging app up to 400 characters long, but any I do not receive any replies, even if they're less than 400 characters.

So I'm wondering if anyone has any of the above issues? I tried contacting Windows Phone support on Twitter and they weren't much help. Joe Belfiore didn't reply to my tweet either. I really want this fixed, but I'm not sure who to go to for help.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I can suggest is that you go to setting then feedback and put that information to send to facebook.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans