Microsoft Account Error 86000C09

anon(5579515)

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi folks! I was just wondering if anyone has been having trouble lately with the server 'dub-m.hotmail.com' when attempting to synchronise their Microsoft Account. It seems to be related to text messaging backup, as far as I can see, as when I disable text backup, the account works fine, yet enabling the option and attempting to restore my messages after my recent hard reset renders it useless. Logging in from the web or another device works perfectly, and the service status is completely fine too. Any theories?

JB8User

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Funny you should ask. I'm having a similar issue with blu-m.hotmail.com in regards to SMS. I've noticed the problem during the process of restoring my phone on a replacement device. What you described about it only having to do with the SMS portion seems to be the same problem I'm having. Let me ask you a question if you for the phone to sync does it restore a portion of the texts before it gives up? that is what mine is doing. I can force it to sync again and I will get a little more more of the texts back each time before it gives up. Unfortunately I don't have a resolution for you, just the same problem.

The thread I posted earlier today.... although I haven't gotten any feedback either. Good to know that I'm not the only one....

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...ccount-sync-similar-issue-but-diffierent.html

anon(5579515)

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Ah! That's my exact issue as well! It seems to be affecting not only one server then. This is definitely a problem on Microsoft's end. I'm currently in a rather lengthy public Twitter discussion with the Windows Phone Support team, who have recently just asked me for the specific error code. Hopefully they'll get back at me with some advice or ETA on when the service will be restored. I'll post if anything changes.

anon(5579515)

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Well, I've sent off my phone Model, OS version, Firmware version, and account email to the support team. They've sent the goods off for 'investigation' it seems, so I guess it's just a matter of waiting. I'm just going to leave my 8S to sync periodically and see how much is restored before they get back to me...

anon(5579515)

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
For my case the problem is solved. I simply kept forcing synchronisation all night until all my texts had restored, and now I've got no issue syncing my Microsoft account. I'm theorising that perhaps the volume of messages was too much for the server to deliver in one fell swoop, thus the 86000C09 error. I personally have at least 10,000 plus messages, from February to now, so it makes sense.

MattyBoy83

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I have had the same problem and have been trying to figure it out.

I believe this is something which will only affect people who have been using Windows Phone for quite a while and who have thousands of text messages which have been backed up. I am unsure how to report the issue to Microsoft, but I did post a question on the Microsoft Answers page (unsure of they monitor it): Microsoft Account Sync Problem (Error Code: 86000C09) - Microsoft Community

Literally, the best thing to do until there is a fix, is to go into your text message area, go into settings, and turn off text message backup. When you do that, your Microsoft Account will synchronise properly (except for text messages backup).

New users of Windows Phone wouldn't really be affected by this, because they wouldn't have any text messages backed up, let alone thousands.

anon(5579515)

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
That's a good fix/workaround for those who don't mind now having their texts restored, so that'll be workaround one of two. For those who need their messages though, I suggest method two, being to simply persevere syncing until it's finished it's run...

chrish91

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
My theory on this is that it's since the changes made by Microsoft when they had the Outlook outage last month.
From what I understand - they made some changes in how the phones sync. They were being flooded with connections while it was down, and this created a massive backlog. Perhaps they are killing the active connection because it is taking too long to finish syncing? I don't know. Never had the problem before the outage, but I found the same work around with the texts and then came searching here.

Adam Tiley

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Did any of you experience battery drain problems with this issue? I have a 1020 with the same problem but my battery seems to be discharging at an alarming rate!

Samuel Ramos1

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I have had this issue switching to my Lumia 1020, and I have already had all my old texts synced but I'm still having this issue
also I'm having issues not receiving MMS messages from friends. Sometimes it comes threw other times not and this is my second 1020. Do you think this issue is related to the synchronization?

Vicky Penny

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I've only had my phone for about 2 months and have the issue too on a Samsung ATIV S. I went to chat with Microsoft help and he came across a post, likely this page and it didn't work as he described it to me and he suggested I reset my phone. DON'T! Luckily I decided to do my own research and came here. upon trying it I got it to work. Thanks everyone. I'd like to add that you have to turn it all off, if you just turn off the backup it does nothing (!verification needed!). Microsoft, fix this please...

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Go my Lumia 920 back from getting repaired. Restored using my @outlook.com email, now the same error code and attention required. Had to create a new account on the device so I could sync email from that address. I even didn't get all the options for syncing email when in my Microsoft account (just the checkbox for enabling email sync). Hope Microsoft addresses this soon.

Adenohedron

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I had this issue when I reset my phone and then restores my account. For me it was my text message backups. I had a lot and I guess it couldn't handle it all. I deleted most of it and sync issue was fixed. Though I know for some folks deleting text messages didn't work. Very odd...

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I had this issue when I reset my phone and then restores my account. For me it was my text message backups. I had a lot and I guess it couldn't handle it all. I deleted most of it and sync issue was fixed. Though I know for some folks deleting text messages didn't work. Very odd...

I'm waiting for a fix that doesn't require me to do that. Sadly this hasn't even been officially acknowledged by Microsoft as far as I can see.

Adenohedron

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm waiting for a fix that doesn't require me to do that. Sadly this hasn't even been officially acknowledged by Microsoft as far as I can see.

yeah I can totally understand. For me deleting the texts wasn't a big deal but I know that they are important for other folks. The point is you shouldn't have to do that.

Anthony Meluso

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem but noticed little by little my text message kept getting closer to the current date. I delete some dumb message threads and kept only the most important to me and eventually everything is fine again. Microsoft better update their servers if they want to advertise this feature and turn it on by default.

anon(5579515)

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Did any of you experience battery drain problems with this issue? I have a 1020 with the same problem but my battery seems to be discharging at an alarming rate!

I did experience severe drain for the time it was trying to repeatedly sync, and ended up plugging my 8S in for the entire procedure... It's probably normal with it trying to constantly use data in the background.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon