Impression after 3 months of usage

mjke

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
saw some cool reviews and some dashing colors, did my part of research and went straight to a nokia priority and bought myself a lumia 720. I would say, the phone didn't disappoint me for the first week, it was love at first sight :) the first game i installed on my phone was temple run. it was finely tweaked to run on 512 mb RAM. i downloaded many apps directly on my phone via wifi or 3g connection, then one day i decided to download asphalt on my laptop and then transfer it off to my sd card to install. as you may say, i encountered the first bug on my phone, after many Google searches and membership on this community i came across my fellow windows phone users who encountered the same problem and explained me how i can solve this by restarting my phone and waiting for the apps to appear in store. hopefully this worked but it was too inconvenient to restart a phone each time when i manually download some app and transfer it to my phone. i got over this problem thinking about the "good" gdr2 update has promised.

In the mean time i installed many crappy apps, but in the end, it was here maps, one note, whatsapp and office that i made the most out of. But in the back of my mind, there was a void which was created by poor notifications, poor call records (we need MS to make a dialer like RAP dialer) and an OS that felt like "BETA" . even asha 501 impresses when it comes to notifications and call records.

720 is my first smartphone, i have never synced any of my emails on a phone, so when i was able to sync my gmail calendar as well as emails from my newly created outlook account, i was more than excited, this was something known but "new" to me :)

Post GDR2

it took me 15 minutes to get my phone an amber update, the phone as promised didn't switched off and restarted often :) it was quick and easy. then my phone behaved like a brash child, refused to shut down and restarted ( solution :- I have to first turn off my wifi) , a thin line horizontally on screen when i see whatsapp messages. My phone lasted 1/2 day with a full recharge (not thinking logically here, just telling you what i am experiencing ), some of my favorite stock wallpapers were replaced :-( but thanks for giving us glance screen to see when the time is ripe and an FM radio which was a pain in the brain to find as it was hidden in music+videos.

but again a small hope for people like me for whom investing in a smartphone is a 2-3 years affair (as i can't afford to ditch a phone after using it for a month or two) is GDR3.

Hope microsoft you are doing some good stuff after acquiring our LOVABLE nokia, please don't disappoint us .

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your experiences. This should be helpful to other people getting Windows Phones as their first smartphones.

gab1972

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I love my L928. Probably the biggest thing for me is - I have app envy. It's not so much that I can't find everything, it's just that I see these new and cool looking apps come out and I can't get them. That and I miss my banking app (BB&T), Flipboard, Zombieville USA, Candy Crush, AnyDo, Google Keep, Simple bank, a notification center, and a good DropBox...just to name a few. But I also love this camera, the look of the UI, the performance, built-in hands free texting when you're using Bluetooth in the car, Office, and a few other things. So I guess I'd be completely content if WP was bit more popular and app companies would develop for it, a notification center was embedded, and the music player was a little better.

I'll admit, I've had notions of getting rid of it while I could still get something for it and jumping to an iPhone simply because of some of the things I miss and my kids have iPods and always want me to play this game or that game...but I'm going to stick it out and see where Microsoft goes with it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon